Best value for 1:32 ACW irregulars (2 Viewers)

JimMN

Private
Irregulars might be raiders, guerillas, border ruffians or 'volunteers'. They might not wear regular uniforms. That means cowboy figures could be used as ACW irregulars. Also, Alamo and Rough Riders might work.

As a newbie to painting toy soldiers, i am bewildered by the wide range of manufactures and prices for plastic soldiers in the 1:32 scale. The pictures online are helpful but until you buy something and paint it, you do not know if you will like it. I do not want to pay any more than necessary but quality should be reasonable. Purchasing bags of toy soldiers from thrift stores has turned up some nice pieces, but I do not know who made them.

Just browsing, I suspect BMC might be a good starting point for a newbie. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd say Paragon makes really good dismounted cavalry that would work well as irregulars however they are a little large for 1/32 scale. You might want to buy a single set and see how they compare with what you have. I find then easy to paint and though not overwhelmed with detail they are realistic.

I'd say Paragon makes really good dismounted cavalry that would work well as irregulars however they are a little large for 1/32 scale. You might want to buy a single set and see how they compare with what you have. I find then easy to paint and though not overwhelmed with detail they are realistic.

Thanks, i will look into Paragon dismounted cavalry.

I don't know about value, but Replicants makes both Northern and Southern "Guerrillas" that are pretty good.
I say pretty good, because Replicants are hit or miss, as far as quality goes. Lots of their stuff have awful mold lines and plenty of miscasts.
They are also on the expensive side

http://www.replastic.com/set/acw/confederate-raiders-dismounted-cavalry/

http://www.replastic.com/set/acw/union-firing-line-dismounted-cavalry/

Replicants always has great ideas, but the quality and price may not be worthwhile to you.

I don't know about value, but Replicants makes both Northern and Southern "Guerrillas" that are pretty good.
I say pretty good, because Replicants are hit or miss, as far as quality goes. Lots of their stuff have awful mold lines and plenty of miscasts.
They are also on the expensive side

Replicants always has great ideas, but the quality and price may not be worthwhile to you.

Armies in Plastic seems to have a lot of ACW sets. Maybe i should start there and with BMC.

And I need to read my civil war fiction again. The Starbucks series, by Bernard Cornwell, is my favorite.

Armies in Plastic seems to have a lot of ACW sets. Maybe i should start there and with BMC.

And I need to read my civil war fiction again. The Starbucks series, by Bernard Cornwell, is my favorite.

Armies In Plastic has a sale on Civil War right now. A mix of the two Confederate Infantry/Marines sets and some figures from the Boers set could give you the Guerrillas you want.

Armies In Plastic has a sale on Civil War right now. A mix of the two Confederate Infantry/Marines sets and some figures from the Boers set could give you the Guerrillas you want.

The Boers! Yes! They look raffish enough. I can see them eventually degenerating like Cole Younger did. Bushwhackers then bank robbers. Or joining up with Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show.:)

I forget to mention that Toy Soldiers of San Diego Civil War and Alamo Texans can be easily converted. Trade revolvers and cap lock rifles for the flint weapons on the Alamo figures .

004 (1024x768).jpg002.JPG

I forget to mention that Toy Soldiers of San Diego Civil War and Alamo Texans can be easily converted. Trade revolvers and cap lock rifles for the flint weapons on the Alamo figures .

View attachment 248043View attachment 248044

Yes, that would be great. Love your photo. Maybe OK Corral figures would serve as bushwhackers.

1. Get more figures.
2. Paint.
3. Find or invent scenario and game rules?

The map for the Battle of Dranesville could serve as a start. JEB Stuart’s army could be converted to irregulars. A pike, a road, dense woods, and a ridge where the Union commander placed his howitzers.

Irregulars do not need artillery.
They will dismount to fight, but maybe horses are needed as props.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back