Bit weird/strange bidding activity on some stuff i am selling (1 Viewer)

Barkmann

Sergeant First Class
I have multiple items on ebay, all from same range, 7 sets, there were three bids on 6 sets [5 on the other], not that high and still a few days to go so expecting the items to reach a lot more than the bids, but who knows. Then [FONT=&quot]1 Mar 2023 at 8:40:19pm GMT the bidder retracts all 6 bids, claiming wrong amount. Followed by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 Mar 2023 at 9:51:33am GMT another of the 2 bidders retract all their bids, claiming wrong amount. There is a bidder left, at £0.99, which is the same as one of the bidders who pulled out. Therefore they put in a £0.99 bid and then put in a higher price on each and the second bidder put in a bid on each one and the amount went up accordingly.

Contacted ebay to ask if this was an automatically generated system process to adjust and they said no, both bidders had pulled out, Bit strange but they suggested if i was not happy they would look into it, as the two bidders are incredibly geographically close together. They suggested i was within my rights to ban them from bidding on my items......... Am i getting a bit Qanon here.........[/FONT]

I’ve bid on items where a bidder will outbid me and then withdraw his bid. Bidders sometime do this to see what the maximum bid the bidder they had out bid had placed. So, in my case they wanted to know my max. My guess is that if they thought my bid was too high they or someone they were in league with wouldn’t bid again. It hasn’t happened often to me. As a general rule if I bid on something I don’t do it until the last five seconds.

...As a general rule if I bid on something I don’t do it until the last five seconds.

AKA sniping ;) I don't mean that derogatorily, it's my strategy, too.

It drives me nuts when people start bidding on the first day of a 6-day auction, because it means it's likely to get bid up by then. And I suspect sometimes that it's someone who knows the seller and is helping to drive up the asking price. But that's just my own speculation.

It is what it is. If I can get it at my preferred price, it's a win.

Prost!
Brad

AKA sniping ;) I don't mean that derogatorily, it's my strategy, too.

It drives me nuts when people start bidding on the first day of a 6-day auction, because it means it's likely to get bid up by then. And I suspect sometimes that it's someone who knows the seller and is helping to drive up the asking price. But that's just my own speculation.

It is what it is. If I can get it at my preferred price, it's a win.

Prost!
Brad

I do tend to leave until late on, but have put a block on the two people who withdrew their bids. I think the worse case i have seen of this is people put in a higher bid and then withdraw close to the ending to bring iot down again.

Nothing wrong with sniping, we all do it, i only bid what i want too anyway.

Two things that bug me are people who try to offer you a stupidly small amount to take it off, when you just have it on auction, had one guy offer £50 an hour after one was on and told him where to go, in 2 days it was upto £125 and sold for £235. Others that think something is rare because they put it in the description, there is a guy in the UK who just puts rare on everything. Even when the set was up for sale by 6 different UK ebayers.

Ebay is one of the joys and frustrations of life, but it has been the best thing for my collecting, it has openned up to us many more opportunities to increase our collections and get those items which were so hard to get pre-ebay.

...unless the sniper beats you. ;)

Prost!
Brad

As frustrating if you bid late and it is not enough and you decide to bid more and it was too late and the auction is over...........

A similar thing happened to me today. I was the sole bidder on an item from Australia. As soon as I bid, someone else countered. After several raises, I gave up and stopped bidding. Finally, just before close, the higher bidder retracted his bid and I was left with an artificially high bid. I wanted the item and the cost wasn't too high, so I paid anyway. But I did notify eBay. While they gave me no real relief . . . they suggested I contact the seller for a refund . . . they did say they'd watch the buyer. Perhaps nothing will become of my complaint, but just maybe . . .

Bosun Al

A similar thing happened to me today. I was the sole bidder on an item from Australia. As soon as I bid, someone else countered. After several raises, I gave up and stopped bidding. Finally, just before close, the higher bidder retracted his bid and I was left with an artificially high bid. I wanted the item and the cost wasn't too high, so I paid anyway. But I did notify eBay. While they gave me no real relief . . . they suggested I contact the seller for a refund . . . they did say they'd watch the buyer. Perhaps nothing will become of my complaint, but just maybe . . .

Bosun Al

I was the seller, but same has happened to me. Ebay, i thought would have changed the total amount to the lowest of your bids?

Bosun Al

If the two of you were the only bidders, once he retracted his bid, it should have gone back to your original bid.

Did you contact eBay and ask them what was going on?

Bosun Al

No, what happened was someone bid £0.99 and put in a second bid at £12.50 on an item and this meant as i started the auction at £0.99 it was not £12.50 in as the highest bid, but £0.99 and them someone else bid £13.50, which made the highest bid £13.50, as was set at £1 incruments. A few days later the first person removed their bid of £12.50, stating they put in the wrong amount. Meaning the bid went back down to £1.99 and then the next day the second bidder removed their £13.50, so it automatically went down to £0.99, which was at that point the highest and only bid. Was within a couple of days to go and all the items went for £30+.

Have put on other stuff and the two bidders who withdrew bids messaged me, strangely with the same exact wording, asking why i had blocked them from bidding on my items [which i had]. I explained what they both did on the previous items and said i thought it was a bit dodgy. Then i went back into ebay and blocked them from contacting me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back