"Bobbing" Jackboots (1 Viewer)

I saw that too! I need to try that with my dress shoes! Martin- what polish do you guys use, and what kind of cloth?
-Sandor

I saw that too! I need to try that with my dress shoes! Martin- what polish do you guys use, and what kind of cloth?
-Sandor

Any kind of smooth cloth will allow you to get a shine of sorts. Most recruits start with a "yellow duster" found all around the world. BUT if you want to do the best job use the best tools! A boot bobbing cloth is known as a "Diddly" in HCR (apparently some now say "didge") The best cloth was called a "Selvyt" (called "silvet") http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selvyt-Sylvette-Silver-Boot-Polishing-Cloths-/320707265210was sold originaly as a silver polishing cloth. When new boil it in a sauce pan with some liquid washing up soap. NEVER wash with anything other than liquid soap, you don't want bits imbedded in the cloth that could cause a scratch. Then tie a boot lace to one corner so that the cloth can be tied around the fingers, as you see in the pictures (although I use four fingers for boots and two for shoes.
THE BEST boot polish is "KIWI" most other polishes are to greasy.
To finish off the shine it helps to put a little aftershave in the water! (to cut the smear)
If you are going to try and wax a pair of shoes be very carefull if they have a man made sole, it will catch alight Also be sure to use "shoe trees" the leather can shrink.
You will find that if you melt some beeswax and add the boot polish to it, then let it set you then have a block of black wa that is easier to work with on shoes.

Martin

Dads army dress boots still shine like new and he left the army 25 years ago ! Always remember the yellow dusters and the Kiwi polish. He would always put a bit of water in the lid to thin out the polish. he would apply many thin coats this way, letting it dry and buffing in between coats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back