British Paratroopers (1 Viewer)

Panzer ace

Lieutenant Colonel
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and I am curious about British Paratroopers. It seems that no matter what the brand, British Paratroppers are very popular. I understand that likes and dislikes are simply personal opions, but I would like to know why the British Paratroopers seem to be so well-liked and such a hot topic?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Welcome on board Panzer Ace,

Firstly, I think the elite units of any fighting force tend to attract the most attention, and thus the unfortunate foot sloggers of the ordinary 'poor bloody infantry' recede into an anonymous or indistinguishable mass; Green Howards, Coldstream etc just seem associated with the endless drudgery of attritional warfare and the public tend to lose the understanding of heroism as expressed incrementally in tough conditions - the regulars are more like heavyweights going the distance on points rather than winning or losing bouts via knockouts.

Secondly, I think that there is a tendency to associate certain operations with certain units. Thus the capture of Eben Emael will always be associated with the 70-something Fallschirmjager that landed on the roof rather than the enormous support arriving in the form of the 6th Army. Similarly the heroism at Arnhem will be forever a British Paratrooper event in the eye of the public, despite the substantial presence of American and other forces, and the Commando units will be associated with the raid on St Nazaire even if there was heavy sacrifice by the Royal Navy's MTB fleet.

Thirdly, I think the uniforms of the paras do distinguish them from the standard issue, and thus make them more interesting for collectors, as do the weaponary - they were armed to the teeth with machine guns etc in comparison to the ratio of standard rifles issued to the ordinary regiments.

Fourthly, I think that in terms of mass mobilisation, the regular regiments are associated with grand-fathers, grand-uncles, neighbours and so forth in one's locality. On the other hand, units such as the paras tended to have a certain mystique beyond the draft.

CannonFodder,

Thank you so much for the reply. Your response makes sense both from a collector's stand point as well as a historical one.

Again, I know that what we choose to collect is based on our own opinions, but it is always nice to know why someone collects a particular item.

Thank you again and I look forward to becoming more involved in this forum!!!

Joe gave an excellent answer, to which I would like to briely add the following:

There's also something to be said for the mystique of guys who not only intentially placed themselves far behind enemy lines, they did so by jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, something that seems like such an incredibly cool thing to do, but that few people have actually had the guts to do. Plus I think they look cool with the red berets!

Joe gave an excellent answer, to which I would like to briely add the following:

There's also something to be said for the mystique of guys who not only intentially placed themselves far behind enemy lines, they did so by jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, something that seems like such an incredibly cool thing to do, but that few people have actually had the guts to do. Plus I think they look cool with the red berets!

Yes to all, but....

1-there are no such things as a "perfectly good airplane"

2-maroon berets (not red)

;)

Airborne troops always have the coolest weapons and uniforms....:cool:

Yes to all, but....

2-maroon berets (not red)

;)

Sorry Halo. I should clarify - by "perfectly good" I meant not in the act of immediately crashing.

As far as red versus maroon, again, I'm a guy, and a bit color blind, so whatever color or shade, they look cool.

It's those berets - they make the outfit! And the Brits were the first with the maroon (which has become popular with most paras worldwide). I remember getting a Britains catalog back in the '70s and being totally awestruck by the para on the front with the handgun. Those Deetail figures are the pride of my collection!

Yes to all, but....

.....;)
I humbly beg to differ on that one; actually most airplanes are perfectly good, if properly maintained. I spent more than a few years relying on that simple truth.;):D

I humbly beg to differ on that one; actually most airplanes are perfectly good, if properly maintained. I spent more than a few years relying on that simple truth.;):D

I totally agree, spent my working life in the aviation industry - without doubt the safest form of transport on the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back