Buying toy soldiers in the UK (1 Viewer)

NZGary

Sergeant Major
To my UK brethren!

After almost 12 years I am returning to live in the UK after sampling life in New Zealand, Australia and a stint in Samoa. When I left in 2010 I had a fairly large collection (which was shipped to NZ). My purchasing was varied but I had my go to dealers that supplied me with a superb range of figures. But things have changed over the past decade or so and I need some advice.

It seems the UK is about the most expensive place to buy toy soldiers with VAT ensuring its almost the same USD price in GBP terms (that's got to hurt). But there are advantages such as a closer proximity to dealers/manufactures such as Kronprinz in Spain (which take so long to get to Oz) or Alexanders Toy Soldiers.

My go to's when last living in the UK were:

• MLK - guards toy soldier shop for Britain's and GNM (now gone) - I used to do mail order but when working in London used to get an order ready, get the taxi to stop on the way to Paddington station, rush in pay and pick up and carry on for the train ride to Plymouth. I used to love this especially on a Friday with the weekend to unpack and display the new additions.
  • K&CUK for all my mail order and very occasional visits for K&C items - now sadly gone.
  • Maison Militaria for Conte (yes they were still around then), Heritage (now gone), East of India (now gone), Collectors Showcase (now gone I think?) First Legion and JJD (I need a good supplier of JJD!)
  • Thomas Gunn - direct form the manufacture - so no change their
  • Team Miniatures - not around when I was in the UK - but now need a supplier
  • Grey Goose for Figarti (now gone)
  • Tradition of London - from their shop - now mail order only

So any advice from those collecting in Old Blighty would be most welcome as this man in exile comes home.

Kind regards
Gary

Last edited:
Grey Goose also sell JJD. ☺️

To my UK brethren!

After almost 12 years I am returning to live in the UK after sampling life in New Zealand, Australia and a stint in Samoa. When I left in 2010 I had a fairly large collection (which was shipped to NZ). My purchasing was varied but I had my go to dealers that supplied me with a superb range of figures. But things have changed over the past decade or so and I need some advice.

It seems the UK is about the most expensive place to buy toy soldiers with VAT ensuring its almost the same USD price in GBP terms (that's got to hurt). But there are advantages such as a closer proximity to dealers/manufactures such as Kronprinz in Spain (which take so long to get to Oz) or Alexanders Toy Soldiers.

My go to's when last living in the UK were:

• MLK - guards toy soldier shop for Britain's and GNM (now gone) - I used to do mail order but when working in London used to get an order ready, get the taxi to stop on the way to Paddington station, rush in pay and pick up and carry on for the train ride to Plymouth. I used to love this especially on a Friday with the weekend to unpack and display the new additions.
  • K&CUK for all my mail order and very occasional visits for K&C items - now sadly gone.
  • Maison Militaria for Conte (yes they were still around then), Heritage (now gone), East of India (now gone), Collectors Showcase (now gone I think?) First Legion and JJD (I need a good supplier of JJD!)
  • Thomas Gunn - direct form the manufacture - so no change their
  • Team Miniatures - not around when I was in the UK - but now need a supplier
  • Grey Goose for Figarti (now gone)
  • Tradition of London - from their shop - now mail order only

So any advice from those collecting in Old Blighty would be most welcome as this man in exile comes home.

Kind regards
Gary

Kind regards
Gary

Gary,

Best advice is go to all the toy soldier shows, something we can't do in OZ ....

AND visit toy soldier museums in Europe ??????

AND ....

will you now be changing your name to UKGary now ???????

(Aussie)John :) :)

Hiya,

yes collecting toy soldiers in the UK is somewhat limited now but not impossible!

Here is where to go;
1. The Armoury in the Picadilly Arcade in central London. They always have some wonderful dioramas in the front with K&C, Britains and TGM.
2. Zhe's shop in the arcade in Covent Garden in central London. Tiny shop but he always has some K&C and TGM as well.
3. Neil's shop Manchester House collectibles in Evesham in the midlands about 2.5 hrs north of London. He has the largest shop in the UK selling K&C and TGM. Well worth a visit especially if he will let you rummage around his massive wharehouse full of stuff!
4. Clive at Grey Goose collectibles who is 1hr north of London just past Stanstead. He has a monster collection of Figarti and JJD. Not a shop, its his house. But he is easily corrupted with a pub lunch and may show you all his stuff in his warehouse.
5. Blake at Thomas Gunn. 2.5 hrs west of London but his new work place has tons of his stuff on display in many cabs. Well worth a visit for a look around. And as you would expect his warehouse is massive and full of stock and new stuff theyre working on. Another one easily corrupted with a pub lunch!
6. Tina and Robin at Maison Militaire about an hour SE of London. Dont have much on display but both are lovely and well worth a visit and a chat.

Of course you can meet all except Neil at any of the Toy Soldier shows! but no time for the pub on those days unforuntately.

I visit almost all regularly so happy to show you around.

Cheers,

Stefan
Kiwi stuck in London

Maison Militaire are the UK Dealer for Team Miniatures and First legion and King and country and Grey Goose Collectables are our uk dealer for John Jenkins , Thomas Gunn you can order direct from them in the uk Again they offer some free postage on orders over a certain amount and a club member discount
MKL or Magpie are my go to W Britains dealers plus other manufacturers

Hi Gary

Ordering direct from K&C enables you to get their latest releases quickly and even with customs works out a bit cheaper.
Thomas Gunn also direct.
As already said Grey Goose for JJD
I've bought Britains from Redcoat
Maison Militaire as already mentioned by others also good.

When exchange rate was better and hope it may be again, I bought from Treefrog Treasures, Sagers, Sierra and Hobby Bunker in the US.

Steve

Hi Gary,
I hope this piece of info. helps. Imperial Miniatures, of Cheshire, England now own GNM Miniatures. (Not Imperial Productions of Greytown, N.Z. that I'm sure you know. Visited them when over in 2014. Would have been again but for the covid thing.) Imperial Miniatures acquired GNM from Graham Mollard at the end of 2021. They let me know that they have the moulds for the Napoleonic, Crimean and some of the Medieval figures that he did. There will also be some Colonials in the future.

Graham, I am advised will in April/early May be linking up with Imperial to help with a product list that we can then put on their website.

I found this out when I contacted another Treefroger about pics from the recent London show where I spotted some figures I did not recognise but liked. (auj65 aka Jeff who let me know they are GNM and a possible contact address, but it bounced back, as I now know the Graham has sold on the business. As figures were on same table as Imperial contacted them who have been very helpful with the above information.) The Power the Treefroger commuity.

Good luck with the big move. Aaargh how much careful packing?

Yours,
Blackbob aka Douglas

Thanks all for the invaluable information. I will be split living between Cardiff and Devon but intend to visit the London shows at least once a year as I did before we made the move to New Zealand. Clive at Grey Goose has already been in contact (he had my old order details when I got the Figarti German eboat!). So JJD sorted. I already had TG sorted as I order direct (but in future no long wait to arrive in Oz) and they are holding my latest order until I return to the UK.

It seems Team Miniatures, K&C, WB and FL can all be acquired and I like the idea of getting more GNM themed figures - I have their wonderful French Napoleonic camel corps displayed with the K&C Napoleon in Egypt collection.

I am making last orders in Oz including some vintage K&C sets long retired before shipping starts in mid May and crossed fingers the JJD Viking ship arrives before mid-May or I will be paying English pounds to Clive!

I certainly know about Imperial Productions and Regal Enterprises as I lived in Greytown (New Zealand) for 8 years. Regal did many commissions for me including around 150 battle of Hastings figures which will contribute to a vast diorama when brought together with JJD, Conte and WB Saxon, Norman and Viking figures I have in the collection. As for Imperial Productions a visit to their tiny shop and a box of soldiers (gloss) was purchased on many a Saturday morning as I popped out for warm croissants from the French bakery - happy days.

Thanks again

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks all for the invaluable information. I will be split living between Cardiff and Devon but intend to visit the London shows at least once a year as I did before we made the move to New Zealand. Clive at Grey Goose has already been in contact (he had my old order details when I got the Figarti German eboat!). So JJD sorted. I already had TG sorted as I order direct (but in future no long wait to arrive in Oz) and they are holding my latest order until I return to the UK.

It seems Team Miniatures, K&C, WB and FL can all be acquired and I like the idea of getting more GNM themed figures - I have their wonderful French Napoleonic camel corps displayed with the K&C Napoleon in Egypt collection.

I am making last orders in Oz including some vintage K&C sets long retired before shipping starts in mid May and crossed fingers the JJD Viking ship arrives before mid-May or I will be paying English pounds to Clive!

I certainly know about Imperial Productions and Regal Enterprises as I lived in Greytown (New Zealand) for 8 years. Regal did many commissions for me including around 150 battle of Hastings figures which will contribute to a vast diorama when brought together with JJD, Conte and WB Saxon, Norman and Viking figures I have in the collection. As for Imperial Productions a visit to their tiny shop and a box of soldiers (gloss) was purchased on many a Saturday morning as I popped out for warm croissants from the French bakery - happy days.

Thanks again

Gary

K&C are great to order from directly; TG is always a joy to deal with when you buy direct. No issues there at all.

Unfortunately, sourcing JJD is a struggle - John doesn’t ship from HK sadly and the U.K. dealer chooses to simply post the USD price but in GBP, which is a 30-35% mark up and is greater than the 20% VAT which actually needs to be applied; I also believe they charge postage but I may be wrong on that. I don’t use them as a matter of principal.

My preference when it comes to JDD is to order sufficient amounts from various dealers in the US who offer free postage over a certain amount. Of course you still pay VAT but the purchase cost is still cheaper than that offered by the U.K. dealer.

Haven’t ordered from First Legion for a while, but again my past experience ordering directly from them has been excellent.

It’s frustrating being a U.K. buyer, but K&C, TG and FL do the very best they can to ensure a reasonable cost.

K&C are great to order from directly; TG is always a joy to deal with when you buy direct. No issues there at all.

Unfortunately, sourcing JJD is a struggle - John doesn’t ship from HK sadly and the U.K. dealer chooses to simply post the USD price but in GBP, which is a 30-35% mark up and is greater than the 20% VAT which actually needs to be applied; I also believe they charge postage but I may be wrong on that. I don’t use them as a matter of principal.

My preference when it comes to JDD is to order sufficient amounts from various dealers in the US who offer free postage over a certain amount. Of course you still pay VAT but the purchase cost is still cheaper than that offered by the U.K. dealer.

Haven’t ordered from First Legion for a while, but again my past experience ordering directly from them has been excellent.

It’s frustrating being a U.K. buyer, but K&C, TG and FL do the very best they can to ensure a reasonable cost.

JJD in the UK from Grey Goose do charge postage, depends on delivery amount etc, I agree it is frustrating for us UK collectors, but i do disagree with your last comment, TG are in UK so prices are comparative with US, do not know about F Legion, great figures, but way beyond my budget when i compare what else is available for my money. I disagree on K & C and resonable costs, they were always £ to $ price, even when we had a UK distibutor, prices at what is the largest K & C seller, Magpies in Evesham, in the UK are currently the same £ as $ and in many cases higher.

Where are you based, does not say in your profile?

JJD in the UK from Grey Goose do charge postage, depends on delivery amount etc, I agree it is frustrating for us UK collectors, but i do disagree with your last comment, TG are in UK so prices are comparative with US, do not know about F Legion, great figures, but way beyond my budget when i compare what else is available for my money. I disagree on K & C and resonable costs, they were always £ to $ price, even when we had a UK distibutor, prices at what is the largest K & C seller, Magpies in Evesham, in the UK are currently the same £ as $ and in many cases higher.

Where are you based, does not say in your profile?

I am based in the U.K.

I order from K&C HK directly - they are super efficient and over a certain amount they don’t charge postage. All their prices are as indicated on their website so no mark up (the HKD is pegged to the USD so the variable is the GBP for us) but of course you could be subject to VAT on the way in.

However, if you are a member you may also receive a 10% discount or, in your birthday month, I believe you can get a 25% discount up to HKD10,000 equivalent. Well worth looking into when based here.

I am based in the U.K.

I order from K&C HK directly - they are super efficient and over a certain amount they don’t charge postage. All their prices are as indicated on their website so no mark up (the HKD is pegged to the USD so the variable is the GBP for us) but of course you could be subject to VAT on the way in.

However, if you are a member you may also receive a 10% discount or, in your birthday month, I believe you can get a 25% discount up to HKD10,000 equivalent. Well worth looking into when based here.

I have had my last 5 orders hit for VAT and further customs costs, always factor that in, have no problem paying it, do not see as Taxes, but paying for things like education, healthcare, etc, plus ofcourse those service people who are in the military.

The thread was originally about buying in the UK, agree on the K & C and JJD pricing, they both are £ to $ equal, just the way it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back