Bygone Age-Chimney Sweep Cart (1 Viewer)

whdamon

Corporal
Again another piece from the Phoenix Model Developments Bygone Age series of 50 years ago.........The Chimney Sweep Cart. Ill document the construction in a few short threads to include the converted figures I made to go with it.
These are well cast metal kits and serve any display of contemporary figure manufacturers offerings well, as additional eye candy.
Photos here are the kits in broken down form and the start of construction.. More to follow
Enjoy
IMG_E6463-resize.JPGIMG_E6465-resize.JPGIMG_E6462-resize.JPGIMG_6432-resize.JPG

I'm looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

I can't remember assembling this kit for the local collector about 10 years ago, but he did want me to paint the chimney sweep, and so he provided the casting.
I think he already had the cart assembled?

I had to make the brush by using thin copper foil and the poles are wire but it looks OK and also the dirty face of the sweep.

Sweep.jpg

Keep up your great work,
John

I'm looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

I can't remember assembling this kit for the local collector about 10 years ago, but he did want me to paint the chimney sweep, and so he provided the casting.
I think he already had the cart assembled?

I had to make the brush by using thin copper foil and the poles are wire but it looks OK and also the dirty face of the sweep.

View attachment 302755

Keep up your great work,
John

Great job on the sweep. That wire brush must have been a bear. I ended up converting 2 Phoenix figures to form a sweep and his son. Ill have the details on these later in the thread. stay tuned

The assembly went well using super glue and a bit of magic sculpt if a join still left a noticeable gap. There was quite a bit of pitting in this old casting. I did some filling in bad places but as it is a well-used and banged up cart, I left most of them as is and a sign of character.
Primer and then off to paint.
I realize it is 1/24th scale, but it still seems to go with the 54mm figures as I'm sure many of these were handmade and the carts came in all kinds of sizes.
The next thread will have the sweep and his son which I converted from other Phoenix kits.
IMG_E6501-resize.JPGIMG_E6544-resize.JPGIMG_E6545-resize.JPGIMG_E6546-resize.JPG

The Figures.....A chimney sweep and his son. Both figures by Phoenix cast about 50 years ago, right out of my grey army and ready for conversion. The father had his head replaced with the Andrea Zorro figure as I really needed the hat. Bent the rim up and added a plastic piece of tubing to give it height. Had the right jacket but was wearing stockings and shoes, of which quick application of magic sculpt made him a pair of boots. New left arm from spares box and change in hand position so he could hold the Historex ladder and he was ready for primer. The young lad had a Tamiya tank tow cable wrapped around him and a Historex small spade added to his hand. After primer off to the rough paint stage and later when painting complete, a layer of soot and grime.
IMG_E6623-resize.JPG IMG_E6734resize.JPGIMG_E6790-resize.JPGIMG_E6839-resize.JPG

I love what you have done with the figures, they both look like the real thing !!!

I've just checked out S&D Models who still make Phoenix and see your two figures, and mine,

r09.jpg v05.jpg

but my sweep has a different head and arms.

v03.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your completed set next ???

John

I love what you have done with the figures, they both look like the real thing !!!

I've just checked out S&D Models who still make Phoenix and see your two figures, and mine,

View attachment 302788 View attachment 302789

but my sweep has a different head and arms.

View attachment 302790

Looking forward to seeing your completed set next ???

John

The R9 figure you have above is very close to what I started with. I must of had a variant, as mine had no hat and stockings and shoes. Either way, they are a great base line for a conversion

as far as next set…………I will let you decide1
choices are;
-COSTOMONGER CART, with figures
-ROYAL MAIL COACH with a slew of figures including the virgin niece who has just arrived for a visit
-BROUGHAM with a ACW southern farewell

love this stuff………..plan is to start The fire wagon with full crew when I return to summers quarters in may

I'm glad you mentioned the cart's scale, Walt. I hadn't noticed it with the hot chestnut barrow. That's 1/24, too. I would have guessed that it was 54mm, like the Victorian range. I have to decide if I'll use it, like you've done, that the size isn't that much of a difference in this case.

I have to review my catalog and note the other Bygone Days kits and their scales.

Prost!
Brad

I hadn't noticed it with the hot chestnut barrow. T
Prost!
Brad

I constructed and painted a couple of Chestnut barrows for a local collector.

Not sure if they are original by Phoenix or someone has pirated them, it was few years back, but they sure look the part.

barrows.jpg

fish.jpg

John

And the final thread to the Chimney Sweep Cart. Complete and painted (although after looking at these photos I realized I still need to really weather and crud up the wheels....the bright red is way off base for this display) plan is to incorporate them into a street scene at some point.
enjoy
IMG_E6837-resize.JPGIMG_E6838-resize.JPGIMG_E6834-resize.JPG

I constructed and painted a couple of Chestnut barrows for a local collector.

Not sure if they are original by Phoenix or someone has pirated them, it was few years back, but they sure look the part.

View attachment 302803

View attachment 302804

John

Of the carts in the photos above, all except the brown one are from the Bygone Age series. Not sure who made the brown chestnut cart. The Phoenix Chestnut car is the black one, and even through 1/24th scale actually doesn't look out of place with 1/30 figures, as in my photo below.... I am on the hunt for 3 other carts in the series: fishmonger (blue one above), Bakers cart and the knife grinders cart
IMG_4079-resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4485-resize2.PNG
    IMG_4485-resize2.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 50
...Not sure if they are original by Phoenix or someone has pirated them, it was few years back, but they sure look the part...

The problem is that Phoenix had 2 scales of the chestnut barrow, and a couple others: 1/32 and 1/24. The one in the Bygone Age catalog is 1/24. I have to see how well it works with 1/32 / 54mm figures, or if it looks too large.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back