Casting multi cavity molds (1 Viewer)

Some great work there KV

Now onto more serious matters tell me about that unpainted set in the background :D

Please :)

Scott

Using less pressure on the silicon molds has been working out. Just bought about 20 molds ranging from the ACW to WWII. Pack Howitzer any one? Now I need more metal. The figures I cast this Saturday came out pretty well.

Using less pressure on the silicon molds has been working out. Just bought about 20 molds ranging from the ACW to WWII. Pack Howitzer any one? Now I need more metal. The figures I cast this Saturday came out pretty well.

So this is where you've been playing lately my Lord General and playing very well. Seems your having loads of fun building and painting your casted warriors.....The Lt.

So this is where you've been playing lately my Lord General and playing very well. Seems your having loads of fun building and painting your casted warriors.....The Lt.

Jawhohl! Been busy with the bikes and now a pack howitzer. Victorian fireman and lamp posts. Painting most days along with going to work and goofing off here.

Hello, all!

Very nice looking figures, MacDracula! ;)

Who makes that mold?

Prosit!
Brad

Thanks, I wouldn't have guessed that it was Li'l Army. When I first saw figures from those molds, in a catalog, I thought that they were a little misproportioned, similar to the way many wargaming figures are a little out of proportion. I'll have to take a closer look at their molds now.

Prosit!
Brad

Thanks, I wouldn't have guessed that it was Li'l Army. When I first saw figures from those molds, in a catalog, I thought that they were a little misproportioned, similar to the way many wargaming figures are a little out of proportion. I'll have to take a closer look at their molds now.

Prosit!
Brad

The thumbnail pictures are very distorted:rolleyes:

The pack 75mm Howitzer is one of the best molds. Typical Dutkins tho...I'd suggested that after I'd gotten the Britain's' set about 8 years ago and thought that the 75 would make a good mold. It's a 'straight pour' with no tricky support bars like the French 75 has. For added authenticity, I recommend drilling out the holes on the trail. If you want a showcase piece, it looks spectacular. If you want volume, I painted all over with dark OD green and then did dark black green in the 'holes', followed by a dark wash and then highlighted with dry brush silver. I painted the tires dark charcoal then touched up the treads with black to force a contrast (otherwise with black to start, you have no where to go it seems). I drilled the barrel also for increased depth.
My only beef is that so far there is only the loader and that's it. You can add the officer looking through the binoculars for an added crewman but otherwise the crew possibilities are skimpy.

The pack 75mm Howitzer is one of the best molds. Typical Dutkins tho...I'd suggested that after I'd gotten the Britain's' set about 8 years ago and thought that the 75 would make a good mold. It's a 'straight pour' with no tricky support bars like the French 75 has. For added authenticity, I recommend drilling out the holes on the trail. If you want a showcase piece, it looks spectacular. If you want volume, I painted all over with dark OD green and then did dark black green in the 'holes', followed by a dark wash and then highlighted with dry brush silver. I painted the tires dark charcoal then touched up the treads with black to force a contrast (otherwise with black to start, you have no where to go it seems). I drilled the barrel also for increased depth.
My only beef is that so far there is only the loader and that's it. You can add the officer looking through the binoculars for an added crewman but otherwise the crew possibilities are skimpy.

I kind of noticed the lack of figures. Maybe the mortar crews would work. I am looking at doing a conversion for the Greman Pak gun. I will try the paint scheme as you suggest. I wondered also about the french gun. Is it worth it? Mold pressure is so important. Has that been a problem?

Good question. On molds where there's just a figure I tend to use backing boards (rough side in for increased air flow) and the orange/green spring clamps (the type found at Lowe's or Home Depot..I have like 10). For tricky thin pieces or 'heads' where the face doesn't form, I bought the really thick rubber bands at Office Depot and while still using backing boards to apply consistent pressure, they do allow expansion and increased detail. Atmospheric pressure does make a difference. High pressure days are superb for casting whereas low pressure days can yield variable results. Humidity also plays a part. I'm thinking of having anther go at the '75'. Let me have a bit to play with it and I'll tell you my final results. It's not a bad piece but it does seem to be ...'abbreviated.' It's almost on a smaller scale (52mm perhaps) and the trail seems short, as does the barrel. My guess is that when Rich first had it sculpted, he didn't consider doing the long mold like the MM PH. that would be ideal. The shield, barrel, and wheel should be in a long mold and the trail should be in another. If I was going to design it, I would have it be 6 pieces (trail, shield, wheel, barrel/breech, rt cross bar and seat, left cross bar and seat.) Probably would be a 30 dollar mold but worth it.
For variation, you can use the Fr. officer holding hand up, Fr. officer with map, and loader. If you want a US set, you can use the Brit. Mule handler for firing, the US mule handler for an 'assistant' (IE: standing around) and the US shell handler and the Officer firing. This gives you an accurate crew.

I have some of those spring clamps put it seems like there is too much pressure. I have one that has a relaxed grip that I tend to use more. I sometime use multiple boards to help distribute pressure. Have not been casting enough to experience humidity and pressure variances. Leastwise the difference between high and low. Some pretty useful info there thanks. Did you see the little section in one of the magazines about casting your own?

No, which one...I haven't had a subscrip to a TS magazine for a while now. They seemed to be getting away from toy soldiers and onto 'action figures' and 12" figures.

It was called making your own Napoleonics. TS&mf issue 119
Did they just focus on PA? They did a LA mold about 12 years or so ago and used the standing German WW1 firing which was a tough choice because it's a multi piece mold and doesn't fit. Also, whoever wrote the piece hadn't had much experience and it article reflected the frustration. There is a learning curve but it's not that steep. However, I would point out, it is perpetual and I'm always learning new things......

Did they just focus on PA? They did a LA mold about 12 years or so ago and used the standing German WW1 firing which was a tough choice because it's a multi piece mold and doesn't fit. Also, whoever wrote the piece hadn't had much experience and it article reflected the frustration. There is a learning curve but it's not that steep. However, I would point out, it is perpetual and I'm always learning new things......

I think so yes. It is perpetual and fun at the same time. Being new i can attest to the learning curve and learning new things. I do get frustrated but I will spend the whole evening casting a whole bunch of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back