Casting out of Business? Other sellers? (1 Viewer)

I have been a collector for a few years, and recently got interesting in casting toy soldiers. There was an online seller, Castings (minaturemolds) that had some starter kits and molds I was wanting to buy. However, recently when I visited their website, it said that their founder had passed away (R.I.P.) and they were no longer taking orders. Now it seems their website is down completely.

Are there any other major sellers of molds and casting equipment out there? I really haven't found any major ones, other than Dunken (Prince August molds).

Good to hear that Dunken is still around. I got my Prins August molds from him, at least 25 years ago. He's still probably going to be your best source.

However, there are other sources for molds. Dutkin's Collectibles in Cherry Hill, NJ, is another one. Rich has his own line, Li'l Army, and you can see the catalog here: http://www.dutkins.com/catalog/index1.cfm?companyid=22

As far as Prins August molds go, you can order them direct from Prins August, too, though then you're paying shipping from Ireland.

For mold-making supplies, you could try Micro-Mark, https://www.micromark.com/. They sell sets to make silicon rubber molds for casting with metal.

Have a look in your area for model railroad suppliers or shops, too. You might be able to find mold-making supplies through them.

As for metal, before I would order any, I would look for local sources, because of the shipping costs. I was fortunate to meet a seller at a flea market, who emptied out print shops that closed. He took the trays or drawers out of typesetter's cabinets, and sold those as curio display cases. And he sold the linotype metal that they used to use. I bought 50 pounds of it from him, some of it in used linotype-little bits of cast type, and some of it in solid bars that I gradually melted down into small pigs for casting. That was over 20 years ago, too, and I still haven't used all of it yet. I also use old tire weights, though I have to process them, to burn off the impurities, like tar and other schmutz from the road.

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad

Good to hear that Dunken is still around. I got my Prins August molds from him, at least 25 years ago. He's still probably going to be your best source.

However, there are other sources for molds. Dutkin's Collectibles in Cherry Hill, NJ, is another one. Rich has his own line, Li'l Army, and you can see the catalog here: http://www.dutkins.com/catalog/index1.cfm?companyid=22

Brad

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of Dutkin's Collectibles, it looks like they have starter kits/supplies and have some molds that look interesting.

Your comments about getting metal make sense. I haven't really thought that far ahead, but it did seem buying and shipping the casting metals could get expensive.

You're welcome!

Whether you buy metal from a vendor, like Dutkin or Prins August, or from second-hand sources like an eBay seller, shipping it will be expensive. If you can find a local supplier, and pick it up yourself, you'll save yourself some money.

When you start making molds, I hope you'll share some photos with us. There aren't too many of us who cast, but there are a couple of guys who do.

I haven't done any since last winter, and that was just to cast some accessories for figures I picked up here and there. Sabers and carbines for cavalry, for example. But I've got a collection of silicon rubber molds, mostly from Prins August, but also for the odd figure or two, long out of print. And I have metal molds, old ones in brass and newer ones in a zinc alloy, I believe, from Germany, all from the old Schneider Bros. catalog. I haven't cast with those in a long time, either.

Prost!
Brad

Hopefully I will be casting this winter, once I get the equipment and some molds. I really want to give it a try. Also, being more pragmatic, for my Rorke's Drift layout I want lots of Zulu warriors. It looks like Dutkins has such molds.

I melt down old pewter mugs I find at thrift stores. Just make sure they are stamped as being pewter or Britannia metal on the underside. I get about 1/2 pound (224g) of metal per full-sized mug at an average cost of $2. You can also use plumbing solder from the hardware store: 60/40 tin/lead mix, or lead-free work well, but are expensive.

Richard Campbell of the Dunken Company has made the following announcement.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Coming soon! The Dunken Company (www.dunken.com) will be selling all the molds previously produced by Bob Blanc's "Castings" out of Orcas Island, Washington.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please be patient as it will be about 6 weeks before I have the inventory. Another company saved from the scrap heap![/FONT]

Richard Campbell of the Dunken Company has made the following announcement.

Coming soon! The Dunken Company (www.dunken.com) will be selling all the molds previously produced by Bob Blanc's "Castings" out of Orcas Island, Washington.
Please be patient as it will be about 6 weeks before I have the inventory. Another company saved from the scrap heap!

Thanks for the update! I didn't know Dunken was still in business. Bert Dunken was my first source for Prins August molds, when I started casting seriously back in the 90s.

It's interesting to learn that Richard has bought up Rich Dutkins' Li'l Army molds, too.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back