Charge of the Light Brigade (1 Viewer)

Fitzgibbon

Master Sergeant
Looking for advice on how to manage the desert base.
In the pictures below, I have used a PVA and coarse sand base. The figures are placed and the bases 'concealed' using loose sand of the same coarse grain.

The intended public display will be in situ for twelve months - under perspex and with no movement expected. Approximate number of figures 80.
My concern, having just tried this method for appearance, is the detrimental interaction of sand and bases over such a long duration. In addition, though I feel this river sand has the 'near-enough' semblance in colour, the grit may be too coarse. Does anyone have experience of this or any suggestions.

Now that looks great, the effect on the bases is an issue that concerns me. At the rate the Jack is gathering funds from the 'faceless men' down south we may be able to cover new figures if it becomes a problem.:wink2:
Wayne.

The concern about the effect of sitting in the sand for a year is justifiable but nevertheless I am pleased with the look. It has the right colour and certainly survives the unforgiving scrutiny of the 'close up'.

As an associated observation it is a pleasing reminder of just how impressive those figures actually are and how well they work together. Remember, however, that the diorama is a team effort - 'Jack's charge at Beersheba' is not about glorifying any one individual.{sm4}

The concern about the effect of sitting in the sand for a year is justifiable but nevertheless I am pleased with the look. It has the right colour and certainly survives the unforgiving scrutiny of the 'close up'.

As an associated observation it is a pleasing reminder of just how impressive those figures actually are and how well they work together. Remember, however, that the diorama is a team effort - 'Jack's charge at Beersheba' is not about glorifying any one individual.{sm4}

Something about a giant, a cow and some beans wasn't it? Quite a team :)

Yes .. an A Team!

Well, from the overwhelming return of advice about sand and deserts, it's looking like this A-Team may be breaking new ground on the long-run diorama (no pun intended of course) :)

If you use Sand Box sand (meant for children), and sprinkle over bases, I don't see a problem, as long as display is under glass or perspex and figures are not moved. When removing the figures, tip them and blow the sand off in lieu of brushing off. Keep display away from direct sunlight or heat, otherwise sand may bond onto base's paint over time. I am sure it is going to be a smashing display.

If you use Sand Box sand (meant for children), and sprinkle over bases, I don't see a problem, as long as display is under glass or perspex and figures are not moved. When removing the figures, tip them and blow the sand off in lieu of brushing off. Keep display away from direct sunlight or heat, otherwise sand may bond onto base's paint over time. I am sure it is going to be a smashing display.

i use sea -sand and looks pretty good, fellas!
1385710_410242595770860_213369398_n.jpg
pls visit my blog
http://turkishtoysoldier.blogspot.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back