Cigarette Stained Figures (1 Viewer)

Smendy

Private 2
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if there is someone who has experience with removing the stain of cigarette smoke (horrible browning on white) from metal toy soldiers. The figures are nicely painted but clearly have nicotine stains on them.
I have washed them with washing up liquid which helped a little but the staining is still apparent.
Has anyone successfully cleaned this type of figure up without ruining the original paint work.
There seems to be nothing on forum or YouTube. Perhaps someone here has that experience.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Smendy

I purchased some glossy K & C figures several years ago and they smelled quite badly although the stains were not too bad. I washed them with lukewarm soap and water and although that removed the stain, it did not remove the smell. I left them in a corner by themselves and after a couple of weeks the smell was gone.

If you can’t get the stains out, you might want to have them touched up. I don’t know if you have a repair person you can send them too but if you don’t I can offer the services of my repair person, Mike DeMarco.

I purchased some glossy K & C figures several years ago and they smelled quite badly although the stains were not too bad. I washed them with lukewarm soap and water and although that removed the stain, it did not remove the smell. I left them in a corner by themselves and after a couple of weeks the smell was gone.

If you can’t get the stains out, you might want to have them touched up. I don’t know if you have a repair person you can send them too but if you don’t I can offer the services of my repair person, Mike DeMarco.

Good advice.
But you say the figures themselves smelled badly? Really? You must have a better nose than a hound, sir. Cigarette stains don't smell much (actually, I can't smell 'em at all), but they can leave a brown/orange tint on some figures which I wouldn't touch without an expert. We bought some Trophy figs like that and just left them alone.
Must've been some heavy smoking going on.{sm2}
Dirty boxes are more our problem but then the occasional mildew is better than a whiff of nicotine. Or so I'm told.:rolleyes2:
Just sell to people like me & you'll be fine.
Paddy

P.S. - But seriously take jazzeum's advice. Mr. DeMarco is very good. If you want clean figures, he can do it.

Just don't use the stove within a kilometer. O.K. Kidding again. Best Wishes Again

Last edited:
Try WD 40 and a linen cloth, I cleaned 100 year old tin plate toys that way. Works great but try on a little test area first to be sure-

Thanks everyone who responded. I have tried the soapy water and I think it has removed the surface dirt. May have to pluck up some courage to use WD40. I will experiment on a haversack and see how it come up.

Thanks everyone who responded. I have tried the soapy water and I think it has removed the surface dirt. May have to pluck up some courage to use WD40. I will experiment on a haversack and see how it come up.

Good idea. I will try soapy water on my Mexican-American Trophy set that someone must've blew his cigs onto daily. WD40 works according to others but I have never tried it myself and you should be careful, good test idea (gotta' get all that grease off - this ain't a door hinge).
Also, I truly think that only boxes and other materials will still smell of nicotine after some short time airing-out.
Just because I don't mind the smell doesn't make it pleasant. But I have never been able to actually smell the tar/nicotine on a metal figure. Yet it is very unsightly.
Best of luck
Paddy

I have tried spraying a couple of pieces of kitchen roll with Fabreeze, making sure its not to damp and then sealing them in a plastic zip-lock bag with the empty soldier box. This helped remove the smell quite well.
I washed the foam inserts in a washing machine in a sock bag.
Hope this helps.

I've had some experience cleaning nicotine stains off collectibles, and for metal toy soldiers, I'd recommend a diluted vinegar and water solution with a soft toothbrush. It usually helps break down the residue without damaging the paint—just be gentle. A baking soda paste might be worth a shot if that doesn't trick.
I smoked for over 10 years, and nicotine stains drove me crazy. A friend introduced me to Geek Bar Pulse X 25000, and I was surprised by how close it felt to real cigarettes. I've been vaping for six months now and I love the smell of fresh breath, and I heard it's even healthier.

I've had some experience cleaning nicotine stains off collectibles, and for metal toy soldiers, I'd recommend a diluted vinegar and water solution with a soft toothbrush. It usually helps break down the residue without damaging the paint—just be gentle. A baking soda paste might be worth a shot if that doesn't trick.
I smoked for over 10 years, and nicotine stains drove me crazy. A friend introduced me to Geek Bar Pulse X 25000, and I was surprised by how close it felt to real cigarettes. I've been vaping for six months now and I love the smell of fresh breath, and I heard it's even healthier.
Vaping is healthier than cigarettes but it’s not healthy necessarily. You are still inhaling chemicals.

As a non smoker I can assure the doubters that some people can certainly smell tobacco on toy soldiers etc. If you can't smell that odour you are either a smoker yourself, live with a smoker or maybe there's something wrong with your sense of smell.

And of course Vaping is prooving to be as almost as damaging as Cigarettes, you are breathing in a mixture of gases either way, how can any smoke be 'good' for your lungs :eek:

To clean TS figures and other stubborn stains around the house etc I start with soapy water, if that doesn't work I use Kerosine on a cloth, which of course does smell but it's good for removing cigarette stains etc and you just wash the Kero off after. Have also used Kerosine on hard to move stains on my car, it works fine but make sure you wash it off as it can fade paint etc over time.

I haven't used WD-40 for years as it IS NOT a lubricant, I use an Australian product called Inox MX3 that is far superior and long lasting. Not sure if Inox is avaiable overseas but worth finding if you need Water Displacement Plus long-term Lubrication.

For really stubborn stains I use Goof Off sometimes direct from spray can or on a cloth, it's a Acetone based product used by professional cleaners, that stuff will remove just about anything but can cause some damage as it is powerful stuff.

Another good reason to quit. Collecting that is.
I'm taking a break. Best Wishes
Paddy

Thanks for missing us! We missed you too.
Smoke outside. Then get mum to quit. Then ignore your prescription.
Also, only a few of my toy soldiers smoke.
Cryptic? Always.
Friendly. Always!
Just hoping to avoid the TS Show/Election drama.
Best Wishes to All,
Paddy

Thanks for missing us! We missed you too.
Smoke outside. Then get mum to quit. Then ignore your prescription.
Also, only a few of my toy soldiers smoke.
Cryptic? Always.
Friendly. Always!
Just hoping to avoid the TS Show/Election drama.
Best Wishes to All,
Paddy
Ha Ha I have a few smoking toy soldiers as well, always thought those SS guys were a health hazard.

I have bought figures off ebay that smelt so smoky i thought they had come out of an old west saloon spittoon…. Maybe not that bad, but as Jazzeum said, you can definitely smell the smoke

I have bought figures off ebay that smelt so smoky i thought they had come out of an old west saloon spittoon…. Maybe not that bad, but as Jazzeum said, you can definitely smell the smoke
I believe you guys. So how do I know if a figure which is in a semi-loosely sealed curio in a semi-smokey environment is smelly if it looks fine? My nose is immune to all form of smoke.
K K-J (a big producer) used to say it created his own unique patina when we smoked up his Chicago Show room. To be fair, we needed a cig or two to chase down the pints of wine and a pinner. But then I may exaggerate. Or maybe not.
So I sell full disclosure - just wondering what I should say.
Thanks for listening to those who didn't get the Health memo in the 90's:alien:.
Paddy. Maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back