Civil War/Rev War Reenacting Uniforms (2 Viewers)

Peter Reuss

2nd Lieutenant
Off and on over the years I've toyed with the idea of getting into reenactments. Just out of curiosity, where does one go to get a uniform? Are most of them custom made?

Of course, I'd want to be a captain, since that's the rank that chaplains attain :)

Peter,

Many times when you go to a large reenactment, one may find many sutlers, who provide everything from weapons, to uniforms, to food.

Hope this helps!
Vick

Off and on over the years I've toyed with the idea of getting into reenactments. Just out of curiosity, where does one go to get a uniform? Are most of them custom made?

Of course, I'd want to be a captain, since that's the rank that chaplains attain :)

Check locally for an active unit..Ask them about enlistment and the source for who outfits them..I am lucky to be close to Gettysburg. We have enough shops around to be able to touch and feel the stuff...Michael

Pete, I have met some of the people from 1st MN who hold weekly or monthly assembies at Ft. Snelling but cannot remember what day of the week they get together. I think they have a web-site but have lost track of it at the moment. They would likely be the best local source of information and suggestions as to gear and clothing I would think. Maybe I'll see you there in the future.

MD

"The First Regiment of Minnesota Volunteer Infantry is a non-profit organization founded in 1973 to perpetuate the memory and teach the history of the unit, the state of Minnesota, and nation during the years of the American Civil War (1861 - 1865)."

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

http://www.firstminnesota.org/contact.html

"Of course, I'd want to be a captain, since that's the rank that chaplains attain"

Most units have you work your way up to officer. They need riflemen before any specialty "impressions" like chaplains unless the man joining is actually a member of the clergy and pulls his own weight setting up camp and being generally useful. Ranks are pretty much a matter of the rest of the unit "acting" like you are an officer as they act being enlisted men. Posers and hang-abouts get little respect.

Most units have a list of approved vendors of uniform and gear. It isn't cheap but good quality and authenticity isn't cheap in reenacting, just worth it.

I've done events in my old unit with the 1st Minnesota and I remember them as 1st Rate.

Thanks Scott for the links. According to the home page the unit musters at 7pm the 1st Tuesday of each month at Ft. Snelling. I am going to check with the unit first, but may try to attend the next event.

MD

Pete, one can get uniforms on line quite easily. I am of the impresion that rank is voted on by the members of the unit. Go to some re-enactments there are suttlers stores there that will have all kinds of goodies. Google ACW uniforms and tons of stuff will show up. Also ebay. I also get the Impression that a lot of people just show up in period dress. I signed up for a day one time. I will warn you though, those bleedin' wool uniforms are hot in the middle of summer!

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcuniforms.asp

Other sources for Uniforms and gear.........

logo1b.gif

http://www.njsekela.com/

http://www.cjdaley.com/

http://www.jarnaginco.com/

Good advice on quality and authenticity can me found here......

The Authentic Campaigner

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

The Revolutionary War reenacting groups that I've researched are pretty strict about accuracy, not just in the outward look of the uniforms and equipment, but also in the material. They have each had specific vendors they recommended. You can easily spend at least $1000 to outfit yourself. And there is a commitment of time, too.

I've thought about getting in to reenacting, too, it seems like a natural progression in our hobby. But I've had it in the back of my mind, ever since we had a Revolutionary War re-enactor visit our class in second or third grade.

Prost!
Brad

Peter, first decide what it is you want to reenact. What period and what branch of the service? Go to an event or two to help you decide. If you seriously want to be a Chaplain go on Sunday and attend a service and talk it over with an existing Chaplain you could be an independent or a member of a unit. If you want to be a member of a unit, walk through the camps before the battle and talk to units that interest you. Find out everything you can about them and then watch them on the field during the battle. Are they safe? are they authentic? do they meet your needs?
do you meet their needs? Definitely dont join the first unit you talk to. DO NOT BUY A UNIFORM OR ACCOUTREMENTS UNITL YOU HAVE JOINED A UNIT. Most units have certain requirements and you could just end up throwing your money away if you buy other than what they permit. After joining, go to the sutlers with a senior member of the unit and they can tell you what is right and what is wrong to buy or they can tell you who to use for what items. JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE A SUTLER DOESN'T MEAN EVERYTHING THEY HAVE IS CORRECT. The main thing here is take your time and dont get over excited to dive right into the deep-end. Wade in slow and make sure the water is right for you. I've been reenacting a long time and see this as the biggest mistake most folks make. Good luck with the new endeaver.

Yep! Everything "Captain" wrote. My advice from doing Rev-War British is that doing a Rev-War soldier and most 18th Century civilians correctly involves period looking hair/wig and being clean shaven.

I would echo all of the statements about not purchasing any uniforms or equipment before joining a unit. Check with several units before committing to anyone and try to see them at an event.

In some ways visiting an event and 'shopping around' might be your best bet. If the folks you are seeing either don't look or don't act right then they probably will not be for you. See if they are outgoing and helpful, and turn out in reasonable numbers. Sometimes a larger 'veteran' unit will have folks that will be glad to help and have preferred vendors that they use for the reproduction items you will need.

As far as acquiring good equipment and uniforms, you will find very little that is worth buying 'off the shelf' for any period. ACW is much easier to pull off though as the tailoring and fit of the clothing is much more forgiving that the periods before the 1830s. Although these earlier periods may be more work in putting a correct uniform together, they can be very interesting to do.

The largest events as far as attendance of participants are ACW hands down. On the other hand some of the more interesting sites are from earlier periods, but in any case plan on traveling.

My wife Ericka spent many years working for The Henry Ford and later, Conner Prairie working in the period clothing departments outfitting the interpreters. I have been involved in living history and black powder shooting, including artillery since I was sixteen.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Ken

I'd say go for it Pete- some pretty cool things happen to those reenactors. Several of the WW2 ones I know have met some cool vets like Dick Winters and Bill Guarnere to name a few.

A good friend of mine is an ACW reenactor for the North (his wife partakes as well). From what I have gathered, they do have a rank structure and are quite particular about a lot of things- though perhaps since you are an ordained minister they may very well give you the direct commission.

There really is a brotherhood factor to it as well- another friend of mine's brother died about 8 years ago. He was a reenactor. His unit showed up to the funeral and bestowed some honors on him at the wake.

Me, well, my parents have talked to me about giving it a go with WW2. I just wouldn't feel right- too much taboo in it for me- I just wouldn't feel right wearing medals or patches and ranks that I hadn't earned. I have considered doing it in connection with my interest in Rome- lots of interest in ACW reenactors here in Central Pa- not so much for Centurions from Legio X :eek:

Take care
CC

Terminology FARB (You don't want to be one.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_reenacting#Farbs

"Farb is a derogatory term used in the hobby of historical reenacting in reference to participants who exhibit indifference to historical authenticity, either from a material-cultural standpoint or in action. It can also refer to the inauthentic materials used by those reenactors."

"Also called "polyester soldiers,"[1] farbs are reenactors who spend relatively little of their time or money maintaining authenticity with regard to uniforms, accessories, or even period behavior. The 'Good Enough' attitude is pervasive among farbs, although even casual observers may be able to point out flaws."

Etymology

"The origin of the word farb (and the derivative adjective farby) is unknown, though it appears to date to early centennial reenactments of the American Civil War in 1960 or 1961.[2] Some think that the origin of the word is a truncated version of "Far be it from authentic."[citation needed] An alternative definition is "Far Be it for me to question/criticise,"[3][4] or "Fast And Researchless Buying".[5]Some early reenactors assert the word derives from German Farbe, color, because inauthentic reenactors were over-colorful compared with the dull blues, greys or browns of the real Civil War uniforms that were the principal concern of American reenactors at the time the word was coined."

To be called a C.J., or Cam Jones, is other terminology referring to one being a farb. To be called a C.J. or CamJones on the east coast, is similar to being called a farb, but much worse. A CamJones reputation in the reenacting community is less than to be desired, and normally forces reenacting members to quit or be forced to improve their kits, if the word or reputation follows them.[citation needed]

In Arizona it is becoming popular for Farbs to be referred to as "LORD SCOTTS".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Farb

1. farb

an inaccurate reenactor.
Usually wearing gray sweatshirt and pants and a paper hat to complete their confederate uniform. They always want to know if there is anywhere out in California where they can campaign. Then they ride.
"Paul Calloway and Mike "Dusty" Chapman are farbs." (no they aren't, it's an inside joke)

by Patrick Landrum Jul 23, 2004 share this

2. farb

Farb (N.) a person in a reenacting group (of any era, mainly U.S. Civil War and WWII) who does not wear the correct equipment and/or uniforms and is too lazy to correct their impression.

Farby (Adj.) Something that is not correct to someone's historical impression. Or, someone who is a farb is said to be farby.
Ex: The man with the post war belt is a farb, because it is not WWII and that is what he is trying to portray.

Ex: "That helmet you are wearing is farby, as it's not from WWII and you are trying to portray a WWII soldier."
incorrect inaccurate unfit inappropriate unacceptable
by ChenKenichi Dec 30, 2005

3. Farb

Inauthentic civil war reenactor. Typically has no respect for history, and goes reenacting only to shoot guns and get drunk.

"That farb's wearing flip-flops"

Scott wrote....

http://www.njsekela.com/

http://www.cjdaley.com/

http://www.jarnaginco.com/

Good advice on quality and authenticity can me found here......

The Authentic Campaigner

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

I would go along with all of the above except Jarnagins.Their clothing isn't accurate,especially in the Civil war dept.Other excellent suppliers include BenTart ,S and S Sutlers in Gettysburg and the Trans-Mississippi Depot,all of which produce highly authentic clothing.

Just curious- and I realize this may be off topic a bit- but what is with the interest in the ACW overseas???? Every year we get scores of foreign ACW reenactors who are from France and England here in Gettysburg. Are there ACW reenactor groups over in Europe?? Just interested to hear what the appeal is to Europeans.

Cheers
CC

Scott wrote....

I would go along with all of the above except Jarnagins.Their clothing isn't accurate,especially in the Civil war dept.Other excellent suppliers include BenTart ,S and S Sutlers in Gettysburg and the Trans-Mississippi Depot,all of which produce highly authentic clothing.

My old unit uses Jarnigan for some specific non-clothing items listed on the unit's website. They are the "off-the-rack" dealer for clothing items. Some reenactors claim they can "spot" Jarnigan clothing from a distance. One problem I faced was that a dealer would come out with the latest "cool" item that everyone had to have but the dealer couldn't keep up with the new demand.

There are CW reenactors in Germany, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Russia. They mix in with the Wild West target shooters, riding clubs, and reenactors in those counties. It's younger bunch over there than from here.

Hi Scott,

One problem I faced was that a dealer would come out with the latest "cool" item that everyone had to have but the dealer couldn't keep up with the new demand

Got to agree with you there.Clothing from the Trans-Mississippi depot can take upto a year to arrive!

There are CW reenactors in Germany, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Russia.

And don't forget the good old British Isles where there are numerous reenactment groups.One,'The Lazy Jacks Mess',is regarded by many in the USA as the most authentic in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back