CJB Models? (2 Viewers)

Hello Artillery Crazy,

If you have a squint at the next Vectis auction (21st March 2012 - Hey! that's tomorrow!) then you'll see three CJB Morris Commercials are up for sale.
Thought the estimates are somewhat modest. They'll be very good value even at the top estimate.

I think you already have the Battery Staff Car and Morris D-Type, but possibly not the Forward Control version of the D-Type, which has a lot of character.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewSearchLots.aspx?Search=cjb&Dir=1&id=0&ref=1

Good luck!

InterWar

Thank you very much for the tip.....it came just in time.
They were 3 very nice examples of the CJB master work....
I stuck to the auction until they were all sold and each one fetched in excess of 240 pounds each..! And they all had a starting point of 25 pounds....Quite a thrill on the floor, I should say.....2 were sold on the floor and the forward control over the internet, following your expert and great tip I was able to acquire it......

Thanks again, and if you see something poping up please drop me a line.....

Best Regards

Artillery_crazy a.c. Luiz
The sold faster and for more than most of the K&C sets that preceeded them.....

Thank you very much for the tip.....it came just in time.
They were 3 very nice examples of the CJB master work....
I stuck to the auction until they were all sold and each one fetched in excess of 240 pounds each..!

Hello Artillery Crazy,

Only too happy to help a fellow enthusiast.

Over £240 each eh? I'll have to start viewing my own CJB collection as an investment, rather than simply a pleasure!

Always liked the Forward Control - I own a variant of it, so couldn't really justify adding another to the shelf. Must keep my powder dry for the Toy Soldier Show in two weeks time.

By the way, thanks for posting all those photos of your collection earlier in the thread - Very nicely turned out. Looks like we share an enthusiasm for 1914-1939 era vehicles and artillery.
I recognise a few familiar 1/32nd scale faces - I do like a good Britains Premier/TAW artillery piece.

One day I might even be lucky enough to acquire one of those Preimier Indian WWI Lewis gun squads.
And the cyclist in solar topee.
And sepoy despatch rider...

Best wishes,

InterWar

Hello Artillery Crazy,

Over £240 each eh? I'll have to start viewing my own CJB collection as an investment, rather than simply a pleasure!

Always liked the Forward Control - I own a variant of it, so couldn't really justify adding another to the shelf. Must keep my powder dry for the Toy Soldier Show in two weeks time.

By the way, thanks for posting all those photos of your collection earlier in the thread - Very nicely turned out. Looks like we share an enthusiasm for 1914-1939 era vehicles and artillery.
I recognise a few familiar 1/32nd scale faces - I do like a good Britains Premier/TAW artillery piece.

One day I might even be lucky enough to acquire one of those Preimier Indian WWI Lewis gun squads.

Best wishes,

InterWar

Hi,

The forward control went for 240, the others around 210-220. But still not bad at all.....Yes these are very special sets.
We actually do share enthusiasm for the same period, the catch being that not many manufacturers do.......TWA. CJB and Britians Premier were the only ones that really thought of that period well.Scalelink has some offerings, check them.
As to:preimier Indian WWI Lewis gun squads.
If I spot them, will sure let you know. I my self have them and consider them great sets...
They are part of my sub colloection that I call , Pacifying the Northwestern Frontier, and that makes me remember that I have not loaded pics of them to any of the threads or my album, other than some odd ones of artillery and foot soldiers. The nice part of this 20´s era is the ability to add British and Indian soldiers, cars, trucks and some mechanisation of the army just before all goes too uniform and loss of charm into WW2.....

When you can do load some pics of your CJBs it is always nice to know that you are not alone.....
What I regret was not to have known CJB before it went out of business......

Best Regards,

Luiz

I was an absentee bidder bidding against you on all three auctions. I bid up to 200 pounds on each. I really didn't expect them to go this high, based on the estimates, or I would have placed higher absentee bids. I'm sorry I missed out, but glad you got one of these wonderful CJB vehicles.

I was an absentee bidder bidding against you on all three auctions. I bid up to 200 pounds on each. I really didn't expect them to go this high, based on the estimates, or I would have placed higher absentee bids. I'm sorry I missed out, but glad you got one of these wonderful CJB vehicles.

Hey Louis......so you were the one inflating the market them.....hummm{sm4};){eek3}
Now I have a dent in my Annual Collection budget right at the end of the First Quarter.......

Hi Friends,
I was asked by a friend assembler close ups of two staff cars I have in my collection. One is a WW1 TAW Ford Model T and the other an Inter Wars Staff car called Praire Schonner by CJB. The latter one has a short history serving the British Army given that they began service towards the end of the 20s and were all lost in Dunkirk with the rest of the BEF heavy equipment........
So I thought of sharing these close ups with you also....
Regards

Artillery_Crazy

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 177
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 205
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 204
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 168
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 206
Hi Friends,
I was asked by a friend assembler close ups of two staff cars I have in my collection. One is a WW1 TAW Ford Model T and the other an Inter Wars Staff car called Praire Schonner by CJB. The latter one has a short history serving the British Army given that they began service towards the end of the 20s and were all lost in Dunkirk with the rest of the BEF heavy equipment........
So I thought of sharing these close ups with you also....
Regards

Artillery_Crazy

Nice Luiz!:smile2: I would give my right arm for that Prairie Schooner . . . one of the nicest models I've seen in the hobby.^&cool^&cool

CJB Military Models is a name that many of you won't have heard of. Quite simply CJB produced the finest 54mm military (and civilian) vehicles ever made. CJB, an engineer by profession, working out of Northern England, made each vehicle individually by hand in heavy gauge metal. The wheels have cusom-made rubber tyres; the wheels/axles turn - you can push them along and there is a Driver and Passenger included. I hope you can see the wonderful detail in the photos. This Morris 8 Tourer Civilian Vehicle from 1936 is typical of CJB quality. CJB vehicles (like HECO tinplate) are the products of craftsmanship for the love of it, not commercially produced items. They are very special and I don't think we'll see their like again.

This from a well known dealer

I just purchased this very Morris 8hp Tourer, but in dark blue rather than red. Unless I miss my guess, the well known dealer you are referring to is Dave Hazell, formerly one of the proprietors of Henley Model Miniatures. You wouldn't by any chance have any CJB Models yourself, would you?

Hello Artillery Crazy,

Best wishes,

InterWar

Hi Paul,
This past weekend I took some time off and sat with the kidds and came up with a dio that we called Military Manouvers in Kent.....
Although I have the pics in a different thread I though of adding them here also so as to share....our mutual enthusiasm for 1914-1939 era military manouvers.....
Cheers
Luiz

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 130
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 136
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 130
a few more

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 139
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 142
more

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 98
Hi Paul,
This past weekend I took some time off and sat with the kidds and came up with a dio that we called Military Manouvers in Kent.....
Although I have the pics in a different thread I though of adding them here also so as to share....our mutual enthusiasm for 1914-1939 era military manouvers.....
Cheers
Luiz

Hello Luiz,

Nice to see the CJB Morris Commercials getting a Sunday drive!
The 6-wheelers are my favourite - I have two - One Forward Control, one standard, both with the thinner double tyres on the rear bogie. looks like you have both versions, and the alternative thicker single tyre arrangement.

They certainly got the most out of that chassis in real life.
When I visited the Imperial War Museum photo archive last year, the Morris folios were full of different variants - Radio vans, pontoon bridge carriers, ambulances, that battery staff car... The 'schooner' version of the staff car post-dates the square, blocky one CJB modelled - The pre-war military Dinky toy with it's more streamlined mudguards is the true schooner.
I suspect that the old Britains square radiator type lorries were loosely based on these vehicles.

Do you have all the removable bits for your staff car? Side windows? Cast canvas roof?
I'll have to take a photo of mine this week, as it can be displayed in about three different configurations - There should be three officers in the back, (one with a map on his knee) and then a driver plus an optional orderly in the front.

My three-year old daughter has learnt to ask to play with my toy soldiers - Can just about remain calm when she chinks my old Britains New metal figures about on the carpet, but the thought of her working out how to reach my CJB vehicles has me in a cold sweat!
The older daughter is most interested in my cavalry - The power of horses.

Ah, the joys of trying of fatherhood.

Must build a casting/painting shed one day soon....

Best wishes,

Paul

Hello Luiz,

Nice to see the CJB Morris Commercials getting a Sunday drive!
The 6-wheelers are my favourite - I have two - One Forward Control, one standard, both with the thinner double tyres on the rear bogie. looks like you have both versions, and the alternative thicker single tyre arrangement.

They certainly got the most out of that chassis in real life.
When I visited the Imperial War Museum photo archive last year, the Morris folios were full of different variants - Radio vans, pontoon bridge carriers, ambulances, that battery staff car... The 'schooner' version of the staff car post-dates the square, blocky one CJB modelled - The pre-war military Dinky toy with it's more streamlined mudguards is the true schooner.
I suspect that the old Britains square radiator type lorries were loosely based on these vehicles.

Do you have all the removable bits for your staff car? Side windows? Cast canvas roof?
I'll have to take a photo of mine this week, as it can be displayed in about three different configurations - There should be three officers in the back, (one with a map on his knee) and then a driver plus an optional orderly in the front.

My three-year old daughter has learnt to ask to play with my toy soldiers - Can just about remain calm when she chinks my old Britains New metal figures about on the carpet, but the thought of her working out how to reach my CJB vehicles has me in a cold sweat!
The older daughter is most interested in my cavalry - The power of horses.

Ah, the joys of trying of fatherhood.

Must build a casting/painting shed one day soon....

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the note.
I look forward to seeing you pics......they must be very interesting given that it is always great to share knowledge on such a great manufacturer that ceased to operate so soon.
As to you question on the staff car, yes I have the 3 officers, but prefer to sit the third officer as a " joker in other vehicles " when displaying, in this one he is sitting along in the cab on the front lorry while the staff car window strucutres and canvas top are stored in the back of the last lorry in the line...in one of the pics you can just make out the window structures. I hardly have them one for I prefer to have the car open so that the occupants can be seen......
To lay them out and enjoy coming up with pics is a joy on it´s own....the level of details they carry are unike...
Cheers
Luiz

A few of the CJB´s out for a fresh air while the parking lot gets a deserved detailing....:salute:::salute::how event cabinets with glass windows collect dust.......

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG