Classic War Movies (1 Viewer)

chalklands

Sergeant First Class
Recently bought the complete set (23) DVDs on ebay for a few £s. They were originally given away free with the Daily Mail (British daily newspaper). They're in cardboard sleeves but much cheaper than buying 'proper' DVDs. Plenty to be had on ebay. Quite a few are B&W but some are in colour. Mainly British war films.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
THE HEROES OF TELEMARK
RETURN FROM THE RIVER KWAI
REACH FOR THE SKY
IN WHICH WE SERVE
ACES HIGH
ABOVE US THE WAVES
WENT THE DAY WELL
THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP
ESCAPE TO ATHENA
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT
THE LONG AND THE SHORT AND THE TALL
I WAS MONTY'S DOUBLE
TUNES OF GLORY
CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE
MALTA STORY
WE DIVE AT DAWN
49TH PARALLEL
THE LION HAS WINGS
APPOINTMENT IN LONDON
THE WAY AHEAD

Good way to build up a classic war film collection.

Pete

Recently bought the complete set (23) DVDs on ebay for a few £s. They were originally given away free with the Daily Mail (British daily newspaper). They're in cardboard sleeves but much cheaper than buying 'proper' DVDs. Plenty to be had on ebay. Quite a few are B&W but some are in colour. Mainly British war films.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
THE HEROES OF TELEMARK
RETURN FROM THE RIVER KWAI
REACH FOR THE SKY
IN WHICH WE SERVE
ACES HIGH
ABOVE US THE WAVES
WENT THE DAY WELL
THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP
ESCAPE TO ATHENA
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT
THE LONG AND THE SHORT AND THE TALL
I WAS MONTY'S DOUBLE
TUNES OF GLORY
CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE
MALTA STORY
WE DIVE AT DAWN
49TH PARALLEL
THE LION HAS WINGS
APPOINTMENT IN LONDON
THE WAY AHEAD

Good way to build up a classic war film collection.

Pete
Pretty cool Pete:cool:

Is the British DVDformat the same as the US ? I recall that your video tapes would not play on our video players. I ask since I enjoy the Brit war flicks

Is the British DVDformat the same as the US ? I recall that your video tapes would not play on our video players. I ask since I enjoy the Brit war flicks

No, the British use a format called PAL. I have US DVD PAL Player, cost a little more than a normal US player.

Got it 2/5/2006
From www.220-electronics.com
Toshiba DVD SD-830 High definition CodeFree DVD
Paid $196.50
Had a problem with the first one I got. They replaced it with no problems.

Check out this website: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

You simply look up your DVD player by manufacturer and serial type e.g. Samsung KT 500-Z.

Then follow the simple instructions which will unlock your DVD player. You will then be able to watch any foreign DVD on your player.

Check out this website: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

You simply look up your DVD player by manufacturer and serial type e.g. Samsung KT 500-Z.

Then follow the simple instructions which will unlock your DVD player. You will then be able to watch any foreign DVD on your player.
That is an interesting and helpful site. Of course you have to have one of the players that has hack instructions posted and I didn't see any of mine or any BRD players with hacks. Maybe in time.

That is an interesting and helpful site. Of course you have to have one of the players that has hack instructions posted and I didn't see any of mine or any BRD players with hacks. Maybe in time.
That's a bummer. :(

I have an LG DVD/VCR player that I found on there.

I figured if it had an Australian issued unit it must have them from everywhere.

Like you said it may appear in time. :)

There was a B&W movie, maybe made during the war, about a German pilot shot down over Britain and captured, and about his numerous escape attempts. I think after the first couple, he was shipped off to Canada, where he still hoped to escape and make it to the then-neutral US. I can't remember the title, but I recall a scene in which he escaped from a POW camp, snuck on to an RAF base, climbed into a Hurricane, I think it was, but was caught by the crew chief. I remember the chief said, "You're not English," to which he replied, "No, Daatch" (Dutch, of course, with that accent). Does that sound familiar? I'd like to track it down and see if it's on DVD.

Prost!
Brad

Hi,
I think the film is called 'The One That Got Away', 1957. It's available on Amazon.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back