Comedians and standup etc - (found Achmed !) (1 Viewer)

The Military Workshop

1st Lieutenant
I am way behind on this guy I know but just discovered a new comedian. OK new to me as never heard of him before. Looking on Google looks like I might be one of the last guys to discover him{sm2}

Was visiting somebody and they were playing a Netflix show on Gabriel Iglesias and he does a good story about being invited to Saudi Arabia. Before he goes there he asks them how they came to invite him and the guy says because he was the No 2 comedian in Saudi. Iglesias then asks who is No 1 and the reply is Jeff Dunham. Iglesias then says if they like Dunham he will be safe. Naturally I wonder who Dunham is.

So get home and lo and behold Jeff Dunham is on my Netflix menu next to Iglesias.

Watched his Disorderly Conduct tour where he does Iceland, Scotland, Norway, South Africa, Saudi, Abu Dhabi, UAE, Israel, Malaysia and Australia.

I have finally discovered Achmed the dead terrorist {sm3} My apologies if you already heard of him. Not normally a fan of ventriloquists but he is very good and seems he was in Oz quite recently. Interesting to note he could not use Achmed in Malaysia so had to bring out his brother the dead French terrorist.

So if you have not seen him yet get onto Youtube. Was just watching his Star Wars auditions and many more clips to go.

Which brings us to other comedians. Robin Williams shows and interviews were good and his sharp mind was amazing to watch. Whilst may not be everybodys cup of tea any interview show with Seth McFarlane is usually good for his impersonations and I am partial to the roast style shows.

Billy Connolly another I like and saw him in Hong Kong.

Also like the Irish comedian Dylan Moran and his TV series Black Books with Bill Bailey.

Any American members care to suggest any other American comedians on Netflix who are worth a watch as have no idea who the guys on my menu are.

Doug Stanhope, Dana Gould, Bill Burr, Louie CK, and Jim Jeffries. All on Netflix. Not work, wife, or child safe. I like comedians dark, dirty, and smart. Gregg Proops has the "Smartest Man In The World" podcast. I also suggest Dana Gould's The Dana Gould Hour podcast. (Actually 2 to 2 1/2 hours.) Both podcasts discuss history, old movies, music, and politics. Gould has a lot of his comedian friends as guests. Proops does a stand up show in front of a different live audience each week.

I forgot to add that Jim Jefferies is Australian. Try the comedy music of fellow Australian Tim Minchen. These comedians are dirty and very secular.

My wife is a huge lover of ventriloquist acts, so we have been aware of Dunning for a couple of decades, but it is only the last decade or so that he has really taken off. Achmed is my favorite. "I kill you!". -- Al

He has been dead for a few years now but everytime I see clips of Rodney Dangerfield it still makes me laugh.
Gary

I love stand up. Most of it is bad, but when you find a good one, its hilarious. Russell Peters, "Notorious" is really good and is in OZ. I also like Louis CK, Eddie Murphy, Kevin Hart and Richard Pryor.

Watched Russell Peters in Notorious last night. Performed in Sydney. He is good but you would not want to be a 19 year old with 5 tattoos or be sitting next to your 15 year old son discussing a particular activity. Was a huge audience.

Bill Burr also sitting on my Netflix but not watched him yet. I did however Google him and read his Wiki entry. That led me to watching his 14 minute rant against the heckling crowd in Philly. Different to say the least and he did wish an incredible amount of bad events upon the audience.

Strangely enough only discovered Jim Jeffries several months ago. Although Australian seems spent most of his time in UK and last few years in USA. Watched a few of his shows. Now not trying to make anything political on this but no matter which way you think his 14 minutes on gun control during a Boston show was very funny (ie. defending home against burglar and modern day Americans walking around with muskets etc). My daughter had seen that before me which showed me how out of touch I am in the YouTube world.

Thanks for the tips so far. An Australian (Irish) comedian who is on Oz Netflix is Kitty Flanagan and her show Hello Kitty Flanagan might be on USA Netflix. I recommend her. Her religion song at the end of the show is good.

OK, I have now realised that I have been leading a sheltered life as far as stand up goes{sm3}.

Watched a few more.

Dave Attell certainly clever but lets say could be considered to have a one track mind:wink2:

Anthony Jeselnik another one not seen before. Saw show he did in San Francisco. With him there are some jokes you actually wonder if audience / you should be laughing. He mentioned the death threats from NZ after he did song and dance sketch about a Kiwi surfer who was killed by shark. Naturally googled the sketch and read some articles about it. Some of his other stuff is very good.

Brett, I just remembered whose stand-up was really good. He took over the Daily Show on the Comedy channel. Trevor somebody. Can someone help me with his name? I think he's from South Africa.

Brett, I just remembered whose stand-up was really good. He took over the Daily Show on the Comedy channel. Trevor somebody. Can someone help me with his name? I think he's from South Africa.
Trevor Noah -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back