Conte civil war (2 Viewers)

tommy416

Corporal
Just was wondering about others wants in the civil war line that you would like to see conte make. Mine of course Union Zauves , could never have enough union Zauves.

Cavalry! Cavalry! Cavalry! both Union and Confederate

How bout Quantrill's Raiders i am sure this would be of some interest

Why was it that in the ACW there were no tactics like forming square to receive cavalry like in the Napoleonic era. Had weapons and tactics changed so much. I mean the civil war was fought with old fashooned muskest not modern breech loaders. Any explanations chaps. They would be appreciated.
The Conte Vikings look good. Isuppose we will have to wait a while for them though

Thanks
That is an interesting website. I like the new Spartan stes. I did not get teh last lot because I already had the East of India stuff. I will probably get these Persians and use them with my East of India Phalanx
regards
Damian Clarke

ya, i have looked at the EOI stuff and does look good, the difference between the two are quite extensive, tough to make a choice sometimes between manufacturers, sure two different perspectives though.

You have to strike when the iron is hot. If you can corner a new or untouched era or battle that the other manufacturers have ignored you are in business. EOI came out before Conte managed to get his product to market so I bought the EOI stuff. As I have said in several places I am happy to mix and match so I will have an EOI phalanx and Conte Persians. Those Vikings look fantastic. DO you have the BOSS stuff I really think that is a great release. I don;t want to get into comparisons with other figures but I don't think anyone else releasing D-Day stuff have captured the drama and horror so well
Damian

damian

you are absolutely "bang" on, my BOSS stuff is on its way, so can't tell ya for sure, but from all i have seen so far i think i'm gonna be happy with them, its great to see all manufactures stuff and era's they tackle.
the reason for my 1/32 metal collection is because of my plastic 1/32,
i would love to have all companies figures but simply just not possible, so onward i go with Conte, Britains.
i'm quite content with my choices and can't wait for more releases, no matter how long it takes,
lots to do anyway while waiting....................

Why was it that in the ACW there were no tactics like forming square to receive cavalry like in the Napoleonic era. Had weapons and tactics changed so much. I mean the civil war was fought with old fashooned muskest not modern breech loaders. Any explanations chaps. They would be appreciated.
The Conte Vikings look good. Isuppose we will have to wait a while for them though

Due to better weapons. The rifled musket/cannon put an end to massing infantry. Infantry in a square would be easy targets for artillery. Cannons and muskets were vastly superior models to the Napolean era weapons faster loading(percussion caps instead of flints) longer range and better accuracy (rifling). Commanders didn't have to mass their firepower as they did when smoothbore muskets were used. Civil war tactics did not take into account the faster reload rate using the minnie ball sytem. Thats why the casualty rate was awful. A Napolean era commander marches his men into the field heads toward the enemy at a hundred yards recieves a volley from the enemy returns a volley and charges the last hundred yards or so. A Civil war era commander starts recieving accurate cannon fire at 1500 yards and accurate rifle fire at 300 yards. The enemy now reloads and is ready to fire again in about 20 seconds. How fast can you cover 300 yards while maintaing a straight line with several other hundred people? As for cavalry the cutlass wielding run them thru stuff is pure Hollywood. General Forrest used his cavalry more like mounted infantry ride to the fight and then dismount. The Quantrill's raider types carried anywhere between 4 and 6 pistols and rode right in amongst them and delivered devestating firepower in close, if confronted with a superior force slip away. Union cavalry carried breech loading weapons and had an even faster firing rate but also fought mostly dismounted or firing from the saddle.The british learned this lesson at the battle of New Orleans smoothbores versus Kentucky Long Rifles. Hope all this makes sense.:)

Last edited:
Artillery.Union.More gunner poses.Parrot or 3' Ordanace rifels at least.
More standard infantry to replace the retired poses.Zouaves would be nice, a real vetran unit,9th or 146th NY maybe , not redlegs please!
Really just about anything would be great.

I see they are doing some Immortals for the Spartan theme.Thats good, I hope they do all these in plastics as well. I'd go for more Greek City States to battle the Spartans in painted metal before I bothered with the Persians as I just aint that wild about them.

Hope to see those SOS sets before too long.Theres a couple infantry sets I'd double up on and repaint the uniforms on the duplicate sets.

FubaR

Thank you Dog Soldier. I to fell into the metal trap because of my plastic ACW. I believe if all the poses were made in plastic I wouldn't buy metal at all. Of course I would just be that much further behind in painting and still looking to buy something else.

Thank you Dog Soldier. I to fell into the metal trap because of my plastic ACW. I believe if all the poses were made in plastic I wouldn't buy metal at all. Of course I would just be that much further behind in painting and still looking to buy something else.

"trapp" that say's it all, and well Conte plastics don't help the situation at all, the quality and sculpting just keeps getting better and better,
we all know the expense of plastic production, its no secret, but just imagine what Conte could some out with if the money and demand was bigger,
we also know who all the "heavy hitters" in metal are, but plastics very very few, some good company's but only one leader.

I believe the mobility and the lighter field pieces available made it impractical to form a square as they would only be a massed target for the artillery. I think the French army first started making lighter field pieces to accompany the cavalry to combat the square tactic.

That is interesting. So there were no real dashing cavalry charges agaisnt massed ranks like at Waterloo. Were there any machine guns in the Civil war. In the Outlaw Josey Wales there was a gatling gun.

Not to my knowledge. Cavalry was used for intelligence gathering, to move rapidly and seize key terrain, rear guard actions and of course to attack the flanks of the enemy forces. They were also heavily employed in the pursuit of retreating forces and harrasment of his rear area and supply lines. There was a big cavalry battle at Brandy Station but that was cavalry versus cavalry.
The gatling gun was used on a very limited bases in the civil war. They did see action at Petersburg and on some Union gunboats. They were used by the Union in guarding prisoner of war compounds where the guards were out numbered.

My favorite line from Josey Wales. Ain't we gonna bury them fellas.
To H*ll with them, buzzards gotta eat same as worms.

Yes, there were several dashing charges made with the cavalry , infact Custer led numerous such charges at Gettysburg. Generally speaking the cavalry was used for scouting, screening and protection and a great deal of the effective fighting they did was dismounted. However, there were numerous cavalry clashes and numerous dashing if ineffective charges.

The Gattling gun was patented in 1861, so it was available during the Civil War, I am unsure how effective it was or even if it was used.

eborris is right there were many single unit charges by cavalry but not the 10 of thousands like in the Napolean era.

My favourite line from Josey Wales is " You siad those men would be decntly treated " to which is replied " They were decenty fed and they were decently shot"

I believe the mobility and the lighter field pieces available made it impractical to form a square as they would only be a massed target for the artillery. I think the French army first started making lighter field pieces to accompany the cavalry to combat the square tactic.

The 4 and 6 pounders were always available. The differance was what the call foot and horse artillery. Foot artillery the gunners , well were on foot and walked or jogged along side the limber teams.
Horse artillery all the gunners were mounted.These were attatched to Cavalry divisions, maybe down to the Brigade level.Much faster to move and go into battry.
Forcing infantry into square with the threat of cavalry and then hammering the square with fire from the quicly deployed horse battery was a great tactic.

ACW Cav against infantry charges.Very few.I recall one at Chancelorville, Union cav slamming into Rebs blocking a road intersection, leaders all killed but they did break up the infantry formations, for a while.I believe in the same area where Jackson was shot later that evening.Troops thought he and his staff were Yankees cavalry.

Another in the Peninsula, cant recall where exactly but the Yanks were defending a hill, arty to the front, rebs got close and picking off gunners, cav charged thru the guns to brush away the infantry, rebs poured volly into them, cav retreated { with infantry right on their heels, hooves} back thru the arty .The gunners couldnt fire for hitting the cav and the retreat caused so much havoc the frightened arty limber teams retreated with the cav and the whole place folded into a paniced route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back