Conversions of Weston’s Mexican Bandits into Villa’s Bodyguard, the Dorados (1 Viewer)

Nice! You even gave one guy a Mauser C96 and another a Colt 1905

Thanks Scott.

There are some photos of them finished in the photos of the game at http://s654.photobucket.com/user/Mi...rgames Games/Partizan 2015 Mexican Revolution

They didn't do very well (my new units never do in their first game) but I liked the figures so much I've bought more packs to replace my Rurales with, and even do some actually as bandits! I will also do foot figures for the Doritos (as they inevitably were quickly renamed by the enemy players) as had we had some we could have dismounted and formed a firing line in a dry gulch and...dry-gulched the enemy!:wink2:

Very impressive set-up. Besides Weston and AIP, what other companies did you use? I don't recognise most of the federales.

Also, what company are the buildings from? OR, did you make them yourself?

Bdyh - thank you.

The majority of the figures are good old Armies in Plastic. The Federales are from two Colonial sets, Japanese and Spanish. Variations were created by head swapping between the two sets. The Rurales are very old, going back about 40 years and are mainly converted Britains, Timpo and Airfix 7th Cavalry and cowboys.

Yes, all the buildings I scratch built, again about 30 years ago originally, from polystyrene packaging. They have been refurbished over the years and most recently the mission was give a beautiful make-over by one of the group, Lucky Pete Reynolds - now he wont give it me back! ;)

Very nice conversions! I like the attention to detail having extra weapons, blankets and ropes.

Very nice conversions! I like the attention to detail having extra weapons, blankets and ropes.

Thanks for the kind words, TGK.

That was the idea, to sort of 'extra' them up. It was great fun to do, made me think I should do some Federales the same way from the same figures with new headgear?

I think I may have said that in their first fight they did very badly, getting caught trying a mounted charge against unshaken infantry, breaking and the survivors legging it. Happens to me a lot - I make a 'special' unit (either because they were historically or I lavished time and attention on them) and they disgrace themselves on their first outing in battle!

Bdyh - thank you.

The majority of the figures are good old Armies in Plastic. The Federales are from two Colonial sets, Japanese and Spanish. Variations were created by head swapping between the two sets. The Rurales are very old, going back about 40 years and are mainly converted Britains, Timpo and Airfix 7th Cavalry and cowboys.

Yes, all the buildings I scratch built, again about 30 years ago originally, from polystyrene packaging. They have been refurbished over the years and most recently the mission was give a beautiful make-over by one of the group, Lucky Pete Reynolds - now he wont give it me back! ;)

Very impressive. I only wish I had the talent and patience to make buildings like yours. I do some conversions, and many of them look quite nice, but I can't paint worth a darn. Don't have good fine motor skills. So, I admire people who can do what you have done. Great job and keep sharing photos of your work!

Thanks.

The answer is not to stop trying BDHY. We have found that with buildings the number of layers of paint and wash are the secret - the more the better. Even if one layer appears to hide the one it is going over it is the 'depth' of finish which seems to make the building really work. Start dark and work light.

Some of the new weathering stains are really good too, as long as they are not over done - again often the best result comes from almost entirely removing the staining.

What is certain is that one coat on each surface is not the answer - even a colour coat and then a wash and simple drybrush will make all the difference.

Mike I checked your photobucket again. Brilliant conversions. I haven't looked at all the albums but I am very much impressed by your conversions. I might ask you a few questions later if you don't mind as to how you did certain pieces. You sure have a talent for making figures more detailed and more interesting!

Larry

Larry

Thank you. Fire away - I am always happy, nay keen, to share ideas with fellow modellers and especially about conversions. I confess to never really being happy using figures 'staright out the box' and painting them. I get much more fun from hacking the poor little things about - must be the sadist in me! ;)

So, if you want to know how particular figures were done please do ask...

Mike,

Here are some questions:

1) How did you paint those Viking shield designs. They look very realistic.

2) Where did you get those metal arms and weapons? Did you make your own molds and cast them yourself?

3) I can see that you are using Green Stuff or Kneadatite, same as me. But you are also using a Grey putty that seems to be sturdier but can carry detail. What putty is that grey one?

4) Did you use a syringe needle as the trumpet of your Al Andaluz musician? Cool!

5) What paint colors and brand did you use for your US Airborne figures? I like the shades. I think they are the nearest to King and Country color schemes as well.

Again great job on your conversions and thanks for entertaining my questions.

Larry
pinoytoysoldiers.blogspot.com.au.

Mike,

Here are some questions:

1) How did you paint those Viking shield designs. They look very realistic.

2) Where did you get those metal arms and weapons? Did you make your own molds and cast them yourself?

3) I can see that you are using Green Stuff or Kneadatite, same as me. But you are also using a Grey putty that seems to be sturdier but can carry detail. What putty is that grey one?

4) Did you use a syringe needle as the trumpet of your Al Andaluz musician? Cool!

5) What paint colors and brand did you use for your US Airborne figures? I like the shades. I think they are the nearest to King and Country color schemes as well.

1) They are blown-up 28mm transfers, then touched up by hand, and they are master-painter Lucky Pete Reynold's handiwork.

2) Arms are usually plastic, from other figures and hard plastic kits (Airfix Multipose etc). Weapons from plastic ditto and metal ones are a mix of what we have obtained over the years and others we have cast ourselves.

3) It is some old stuff called...Greystuff! It isnt made anymore, Black A+B having taken its place. If you want a 'harder' putty, try mixing Greenstuff with A+B, or using one of the DIY repair putties - but beware they have a VERY short working life once mixed (great for casting in Bluestuff moulds though, where the fast setting time means you can get more castings out of the mould more quickly).

4) It was the plastic cover for such a needle!

5) I will look them up for you (I try to keep a notebook of paints used on conversions but it isn't always done) and will post here if I have the details. Be aware though that the photographs distort colours and they may not actually be the colours you think they are! If you want to match K&C I would imagine the best way was to experiment with some mixes - that's what I would do anyway.

Mike Thanks for your answers. I definitely learned new ways of doing our hobby. Many Thanks again!

1) They are blown-up 28mm transfers, then touched up by hand, and they are master-painter Lucky Pete Reynold's handiwork.

2) Arms are usually plastic, from other figures and hard plastic kits (Airfix Multipose etc). Weapons from plastic ditto and metal ones are a mix of what we have obtained over the years and others we have cast ourselves.

3) It is some old stuff called...Greystuff! It isnt made anymore, Black A+B having taken its place. If you want a 'harder' putty, try mixing Greenstuff with A+B, or using one of the DIY repair putties - but beware they have a VERY short working life once mixed (great for casting in Bluestuff moulds though, where the fast setting time means you can get more castings out of the mould more quickly).

4) It was the plastic cover for such a needle!

5) I will look them up for you (I try to keep a notebook of paints used on conversions but it isn't always done) and will post here if I have the details. Be aware though that the photographs distort colours and they may not actually be the colours you think they are! If you want to match K&C I would imagine the best way was to experiment with some mixes - that's what I would do anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back