CW Plastic troops from "EXPEDITIONARY FORCE" (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Figured I'd post this here since it's an ACW thread. Here are some quick snap shots of a Conte plastic Yankee who volunteered his services as a test subject to experiment with some new paint mixes for ACW uniforms. This also gave me an opportunity to test out my new toy, a Build-a-Rama grass mat purchased from our wonderful hosts.

View attachment 116462

Not real sure about the gunpowder residue on his hands and face, but I figured I’d give it a try and see what people think.

Special thanks to Scott for providing the quartermaster shop link

http://www.quartermastershop.com/CW%..._uniforms.html

This turned out to be an awesome site for matching union and confederate wool uniforms. An acquaintence of mine wasn’t completely sold on the shade I was using to paint Sky blue palsey. Hopefully after this experiment I’m closer to the mark.
:)

Looking at how reenactor uniforms appear after some wearing, the sack coats fade a bit (if the right dye was used, not the cheap stuff that turns purple) and the trousers get a slight greenish look if the right color Kersey cloth is used. Union clothing in the field may have had dirty looking trouser darker than "sky blue" and coats/ jackets in faded dark blue if good reenactor repros are a gauge.

Looking at how reenactor uniforms appear after some wearing, the sack coats fade a bit (if the right dye was used, not the cheap stuff that turns purple) and the trousers get a slight greenish look if the right color Kersey cloth is used. Union clothing in the field may have had dirty looking trouser darker than "sky blue" and coats/ jackets in faded dark blue if good reenactor repros are a gauge.

Thanks for the info Scott,

Confederate box knapsack, leather or canvas? Looks like leather in the Echos of Glory Confederate book, but I can't tell for sure.

Confederate box knapsack, leather or canvas? Looks like leather in the Echos of Glory Confederate book, but I can't tell for sure.

I don't have the CS EOG book but if it's any of the rigid knapsacks they were canvas covered wood frame militia versions or an imported British made canvas version.

The majority of CS knapsacks were made of oilcloth (black-painted canvas). While there were knapsacks made of leather or had a leather flap on the main bag, these were used in the early war period, generally purchased by local volunteer companies as they prepared for war. Some of these early knapsacks were built on a wooden frame, or had a wooden frame inserted in the main bag to give it the box shape, but these were uncomfortable and most were soon discarded. These were not something that the CS govermnent provided, as leather was needed for more important uses, such as harness, saddles and accouterments.

There were a variety of knapsacks issued by the CS government and used by Confederate troops, but the most common would be the copies of the US Army Mexican War type, the British army style imported from English contractors, and captured Federal knapsacks. The English style knapsack is a "semi-rigid" type, due to its construction, and will have a box shape when fully packed.

Suggestion here: The appearance of these oilcloth knapsacks, including the US Army issue knapsack, is best depicted with a gloss or semi-gloss black paint...that's what was used for the real item.

The majority of CS knapsacks were made of oilcloth (black-painted canvas). While there were knapsacks made of leather or had a leather flap on the main bag, these were used in the early war period, generally purchased by local volunteer companies as they prepared for war. Some of these early knapsacks were built on a wooden frame, or had a wooden frame inserted in the main bag to give it the box shape, but these were uncomfortable and most were soon discarded. These were not something that the CS govermnent provided, as leather was needed for more important uses, such as harness, saddles and accouterments.

There were a variety of knapsacks issued by the CS government and used by Confederate troops, but the most common would be the copies of the US Army Mexican War type, the British army style imported from English contractors, and captured Federal knapsacks. The English style knapsack is a "semi-rigid" type, due to its construction, and will have a box shape when fully packed.

Suggestion here: The appearance of these oilcloth knapsacks, including the US Army issue knapsack, is best depicted with a gloss or semi-gloss black paint...that's what was used for the real item.

Thanks Oddball. I used a repro of the Union two bag issue knapsack so I was not that familiar with the militia and imported models. The oil cloth is stiff and shiny when new and softens up with use and gets a matt finish. If one were to give the canvas a worn look a very slight dry brush of grey on the edges could work. Any wear marks on a figure as small as 54mm should be minimal.

Here's some pics of a Conte Reb. This is my first attempt at photos with a white background.

Picture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 007.jpg

Johnny and Billy playing tag with .53 cal slugs. Ah, those were the days.

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back