Dunkens Molds (1 Viewer)

I really like the dea Mexican and the Texan kneeling firing, if anyone ever gets these molds and wants to recoup some of their expense, I'll buy some of each of those figure types, maybe others if they look as good as those two poses.

I really like the dea Mexican and the Texan kneeling firing, if anyone ever gets these molds and wants to recoup some of their expense, I'll buy some of each of those figure types, maybe others if they look as good as those two poses.
Dea?:confused: OH, dead. Did you want those painted?

Dunken has been around for a while.Twenty years or so. Gregg could tell you. I ordered from them in the late 80s

Yeah dead, I meant dead really I dead.

Sure, painted is good, you have those molds? I'd like to see pictures of the other ones if you have them, the pictures that are on their site probably do not do them justice.

I bought the Texan in the floppy hat about 10 years ago...I was never really happy with the casting. The rifle/musket isn't very defined...almost more of a long lead piece. I haven't tried the dead Mexican. I talked with Rich Campbell (the new owner) several months ago. I mentioned that some of the figures I've bought had tremendous "pitting"...where it looks sandy or 'dusty' in the casting. He said that sometimes attention wasn't paid when the master was put in the mold. If you're thinking of getting the Mexican, I would suggest calling him and telling him you're concerned about pitting in the resulting casting. He can either make another mold or examine prior to shipping.

I'll have to order some of his molds, I'm trying have a variety of figures that I produce. I also had the idea of creating some of my own figures by converting other figures for the master. But the creation of a new mold looks a little tricky. I guess I'd have to give it a try and see what happens.

The Dunkens Mold pictures always look weird. Probably what gregg says is true about the mold process. The civil war figures have the same mottled appearance. It is too bad but no amount of paint can fix a bad figure.

Golly, gee whiz, hokey smokes Bullwinkle, well I guess I won't be getting that dead Mexican, too bad I thought it looked pretty good. I'm practicing being politically correct, can you tell?

Golly, gee whiz, hokey smokes Bullwinkle, well I guess I won't be getting that dead Mexican, too bad I thought it looked pretty good. I'm practicing being politically correct, can you tell?
If you buy it they will come;)

Oh, I'm not going to have anything to do with molten metal, I could burn off something I might need. I am mechinically declined.

I knocked over..not one but two full pots last week. The lead spilled all over my work bench, through the cracks and onto the floor. Little frustrating. The pot that I bought from Dutkins sits on a small metal disk, not very stable.

I did manage to get a few things molded. I think I need to dedicate a day to just mold. I once saw a centerfuge set up for sale on ebay. I think I should have bought it.

I knocked over..not one but two full pots last week. The lead spilled all over my work bench, through the cracks and onto the floor. Little frustrating. The pot that I bought from Dutkins sits on a small metal disk, not very stable.

I did manage to get a few things molded. I think I need to dedicate a day to just mold. I once saw a centerfuge set up for sale on ebay. I think I should have bought it.

Yikes, and I do mean YIKES!!! It does take a little time to get the hang of things. Temperature of the metal the molds. Talcing the molds, then clamping pressure. Somedays I have good luck others sometimes a bit like yours.

Yikes, and I do mean YIKES!!! It does take a little time to get the hang of things. Temperature of the metal the molds. Talcing the molds, then clamping pressure. Somedays I have good luck others sometimes a bit like yours.

It sounds bad, but in reality, it was'nt that bad. Just really frustrating. I've only gotten burned once in the past by flying lead splatter. Not a big deal..just really hot! OUCH!!!!!!!

See with my luck I'd burn off or at least fuse together forever some very usefull parts. I'll leave the molding to you gents with a flair for danger.

Yea, thats a hazard of homecasting. But when it turns out right, it can be very rewarding. I love to take a figure from a lump of lead to a finished and painted figure. It can be awesome. Kinda like giving birth!

Yea, thats a hazard of homecasting. But when it turns out right, it can be very rewarding. I love to take a figure from a lump of lead to a finished and painted figure. It can be awesome. Kinda like giving birth!

:confused:
I was privileged enough to be present at both my daughters introduction to the world. Neither of them look remotely Napoleonic....???? :):):D:D:D

Cheers
Henri-La-Tete

So, does anybody have a mold of the dead Mexican they want to make and sell me a couple? I'd be willing to buy almost anything 54mm in metal that has to do with the Alamo, almost.

So, does anybody have a mold of the dead Mexican they want to make and sell me a couple? I'd be willing to buy almost anything 54mm in metal that has to do with the Alamo, almost.

Ed I am not sure that the mold is a winner. However if you want to buy a mold and have it shipped to me. I will make you some. PM me for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back