Dynamic Glossies (2 Viewers)

Foxhole_Adam

Private 1st Class
Hi Guys,

Is there such a thing?

Any suggestions?

I love the traditional TS but would like some with a little more movement to.

Cheers

Adam

Do your own. Here's some JJD Jacobite's I did some repainting on and then gloss coated. - Petty Dynamic. ^&cool

attachment.php

Hi Adam, - The flag is metal. - Here's an image of the matte John Jenkins Highlander as it comes from the 'factory'. I prefer well painted glossies, so many of the figures in my collection started as mattes which I then convert over to glossy.

JR-08.jpg

Do your own (Mark 2).

There is a HUGE variety of such dynamic poses/figures/manufacturers - out there Adam. You just need to look around - decide what you want to collect ( or make) - and off you go.

I chose to show you these, though they could be many others - which I make up from unpainted castings - and either paint up to suit myself directly - or modify and paint. Like Ken, I choose to do my thing in glossy style. These are re-casts (by Dorset Soldiers), of some of my Knights of Agincourt (some modified) - produced originally by Roy Selwyn Smith around the 1950's - so not new by any means. I like to research the heraldry for myself - and then paint them up - the way I like them.

Dynamic enough?? johnnybach:D

Do your own (Mark 2).

There is a HUGE variety of such dynamic poses/figures/manufacturers - out there Adam. You just need to look around - decide what you want to collect ( or make) - and off you go.

I chose to show you these, though they could be many others - which I make up from unpainted castings - and either paint up to suit myself directly - or modify and paint. Like Ken, I choose to do my thing in glossy style. These are re-casts (by Dorset Soldiers), of some of my Knights of Agincourt (some modified) - produced originally by Roy Selwyn Smith around the 1950's - so not new by any means. I like to research the heraldry for myself - and then paint them up - the way I like them.

Dynamic enough?? johnnybach:D

Wow! Real eye candy. Beautifully done Johnny.

Lovely figures Johnny :salute::

Cheers Adam - glad you like them, though it's the animation of the castings by a TS genius - that really makes them.

Just a thought - if you do decide to produce figures similar to these ( or any others, for that matter), consider also producing them for sale as unpainted castings - alongside your painted versions. There are a significant number of clients "out there" who might like to purchase them from you in that form - to paint for themselves. Might even include me?:D

I know of several producers who tell me that they make MORE profit from castings - than from painted versions of the same thing ( painting often involves workers pay, distribution, collection costs - etcetera - which adds significantly to costs of production). With a casting however, it's just production and despatch! Don't even bother with removing flash - as most painters will always clean them up first, anyway. Do some sums - to see what I mean.

Nice to see a new producer starting up - good luck with your endevours - johnnybach

Do your own. Here's some JJD Jacobite's I did some repainting on and then gloss coated. - Petty Dynamic. ^&cool

attachment.php

Really Super job on the repaint! I like these more than the original paint. I must ask, it looks like you repainted the faces? one of the problems I've always had with JJ sculpts is the faces and eyes and for me "odd" appearance and it looks like your repaint mitigated this? or is it just the lighting and photography?
Ray

I think we have to discount our own figures, to answer the original question, though I mean no disrespect to John's excellent pieces or the others that some of us fans of the traditional gloss finish paint for ourselves. But as to other commercially-available finished gloss figures, I'd like to suggest Carl Hoergermeyer's Quartermaster Corps catalog. He has a lot of dynamic poses, including many non-battle poses, and he's still in business. I also think back to the grand-daddy of the "Chinese style", King-White/Reeves, who sold their figures in both gloss and matte.

John's knights also remind me of the now-defunct Tiffany Soldiers, made by Jacques Cuyper, and Bob Hornung's Tournament Knights.

If you're a fan of American dimestore soldiers, there were a number of smaller makers in the 80s and 90s who produced reproductions from old molds or new designs based on old Manoil and Barclay figures, which also show a wide range of animated, combat and non-combat poses. There is one gentleman whose name escapes me at the moment, but he often displays at our (MFCA) show, and also writes columns for Old Toy Soldier on converting old dimestore castings. I believe he does sell his pieces.

Prost!
Brad

Now, if you are interested in painting your own from castings, I'd like to add to John's suggestions with Tradition, including their contemporary catalog as well as the classic Stadden castings, which are virtually unique, given the process used to finish the figures. Also, I recommend Imrie-Risley, whose castings are now sold solely via catalog sales. And there are several German makers: Ulrich Puchala, who sculpted a catalog of 54mm figures covering several periods (now sold by Mueritz-Miniaturen, as Ulrich focuses on larger-scale figures), Rylit Miniatures, run by Ursula Litterscheidt, offering a wide range of poses, and Peipp, whose catalog also covers a range of time periods, with groups of figures that allow you to put together a large diorama or scene.

I also think of the old Monarch line, which is still available, but with sales strictly at shows and via old-fashioned mail order, no online availability.

Prost!
Brad

Really Super job on the repaint! I like these more than the original paint. I must ask, it looks like you repainted the faces? one of the problems I've always had with JJ sculpts is the faces and eyes and for me "odd" appearance and it looks like your repaint mitigated this? or is it just the lighting and photography?
Ray

Hi Ray, Yes the faces are repainted. Also, I'll often paint over uniforms with a cleaner or brighter shade of the original colors, enhance the shading, and clean up straps and belts etc. before gloss coating. I think JJD makes some really great figures, but they're not available in a high quality gloss..... so I do it myself. - Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back