East Coast Toy Soldier Show 2022? (1 Viewer)

Anyone know about the status of the show this year?

The organizer is trying to work things out with the college, way too early in the game at this stage, time will tell how the college decides.

I heard there might be an alternate NJ show if Hackensack doesn't happen?

The jury is still out from what I have been told so far. I have heard that the family member who inherited the show is committed to 2023, but there is hope that 2022 happens. We are getting close, so figure it will be yea or nea in next week.
TD

The jury is still out from what I have been told so far. I have heard that the family member who inherited the show is committed to 2023, but there is hope that 2022 happens. We are getting close, so figure it will be yea or nea in next week.
TD

I hope so. I used to go almost every year. I would like to attend the show as a vendor in the future.

TD

This is really a slippery slope, you really cannot mothball a show for three years, the only alternative is for someone else to run a show, but the clock is ticking in order to effectively get the word out for dealer and attendee purposes to plan on attending.

And any alternate show had better not be held in a hotel in the middle of nowhere that rents rooms by the hour; the other issue is if someone runs an alternate show and it's a success, what happens next year if the Lango's want to run The East Coast Show again, will there be two competing shows, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes.

The college gave the promoter two dates; one conflicted with another show that a number of vendors would have been at the same weekend, the other works, but the promoter feels like there is not enough time to effectively promote the show, which is a real head scratcher as the show has their own Facebook page, plus myself and other dealers have Facebook pages, there is this forum and other toy soldier forums, plus some nice toy soldier Facebook pages, we could have worked together and gotten the word out.

I respect the promoters choice; his show, his decision, but I think we could have pulled it off.

Maybe next year?

We'll see, time will tell.

Bummer.

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes.

The college gave the promoter two dates; one conflicted with another show that a number of vendors would have been at the same weekend, the other works, but the promoter feels like there is not enough time to effectively promote the show, which is a real head scratcher as the show has their own Facebook page, plus myself and other dealers have Facebook pages, there is this forum and other toy soldier forums, plus some nice toy soldier Facebook pages, we could have worked together and gotten the word out.

I respect the promoters choice; his show, his decision, but I think we could have pulled it off.

Maybe next year?

We'll see, time will tell.

Bummer.

I agree with you on both points, George. I think he could have pulled it off, but yes, it's his show, so ultimately, the decision is his.

I think attendance would have been good, because collectors look forward to this show and with the hiatus, people are eager to get back. For the dealers, short notice might have been more of a challenge for the logistics. But yeah, here's hoping he can negotiate now with FDU for the traditional date and get set for next year.

Prost!
Brad

I agree with you on both points, George. I think he could have pulled it off, but yes, it's his show, so ultimately, the decision is his.

I think attendance would have been good, because collectors look forward to this show and with the hiatus, people are eager to get back. For the dealers, short notice might have been more of a challenge for the logistics. But yeah, here's hoping he can negotiate now with FDU for the traditional date and get set for next year.

Prost!
Brad

I'm extremely disappointed with this decision; much like your show, the East Coast Show was, is and always has been a home run for myself and many other dealers, you mothballed your show for two years, you brought it back this year although you depend on European exhibitors to attend and all and all, it worked out well vs mothballing it for another year, keep moving forward.

Even if the show was a bit down this year, it would have been better to run it, dealers can improvise if needed and to be honest, how many dealers are we talking about here who are left with skin in the game; myself, Hobby Bunker, TFT with Julie maybe flying in, worst case scenario Tom Dubel representing her at the show, Belle and Blade, Relic Amusements, the Jones Brothers, Gary Green/Warstore Collectibles, that's 50 tables right there, boom, you're in business.

Honestly, I'm really at the point where I am wondering if shows are a thing of the past; COVID forced a **** ton of people to learn to shop online, we've got forums, YouTube videos and Facebook pages where product is shown to potential buyers now, plus the demographic is aging and getting out to shows is a challenge for some. I'm not even going to go down the "How many collectors have passed away since COVID started" road....................................

A customer of mine who's been a Chicago Show attendee since the late 1980's was depressed over the number of canes, walkers, scooters, wheelchairs he saw at the Chicago Show, he's been away from it for two years, he said it looked less like a toy soldier show and more like Shady Acres Nursing Home. He kept waiting for an announcement "Medication time".

And yes, I am sure some out there will be quick to yammer about how great shows are for the social interaction and you can't put a price on face to face contact..................great, it's nice to get together with old friends and socialize, but the MAIN point of a toy soldier show is to sell toy soldiers, period.

Mothballing the premier toy soldier show on the East Coast does no good, Bill Lango busted his *** to make it the show that is was; I'm starting to wonder if that ship has sailed, a very sad reality I'm starting to ponder.

Hopefully the show will come back strong in 2023 if the promoter can pull it off; I know the dealers are willing, hopefully the attendees will be as well.

Time will tell.

Time to merge with a model train or wargaming show. Plenty of audience, attractive locations and potential customers. And we toy soldier collectors might finally get better diorama supplies.

Time to merge with a model train or wargaming show. Plenty of audience, attractive locations and potential customers. And we toy soldier collectors might finally get better diorama supplies.

Funny you mention that; there is a huge wargaming club in NJ that tried to work with the East Coast promoter to have a toy soldier/wargaming event; toy soldier dealers with wargaming dealers and more importantly, demo games for wargaming purposes in the larger/54mm scale, but they could not pull it off as there is a large wargaming show the weekend of the first proposed date, to have them do a show the weekend prior to on the second proposed date would be too much to pull off two weeks in a row.

But it was on the table, so your thinking is on point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back