English Uniforms of the Napoleonic period (1 Viewer)

Hello nmrocks,

I liked your posts of the prints by Leliepvre. Although a talented painter his inability to grasp the importance of nationality-regimental affiliations is apparent: In the series of prints listed as, " English Uniforms of the Napoleonic period" of the 5 images, two depict Scottish and one Irish regiments while there are more Scots in the background of the Wellington image.
Yours,
Blackbob

P:S The original Black Bob -- Major-General Robert Craufurd, of Peninsular War fame, was also a Scot.

Hello nmrocks,

I liked your posts of the prints by Leliepvre. Although a talented painter his inability to grasp the importance of nationality-regimental affiliations is apparent: In the series of prints listed as, " English Uniforms of the Napoleonic period" of the 5 images, two depict Scottish and one Irish regiments while there are more Scots in the background of the Wellington image.
Yours,
Blackbob

P:S The original Black Bob -- Major-General Robert Craufurd, of Peninsular War fame, was also a Scot.

Hi Bob,
Actually this is what I'm afraid of EVERYTIME I post "ENGLISH", I know there are various nations covered here under the banner of "English" I should have put a disclaimer, no offense intended. I would just like to start a resource for all on the forum to look to for uniform help and information. Please I ask all to note as well, THIS IS NOT MY THREAD! I want the members to post prints and relative artwork here pertinent to the subject I will continue to add themed uniform threads here as i go thru my collection and it will have many holes and opportunities for others to contribute.
Ray

Hello nmrocks,

and one Irish regiments while there are more Scots in the background of the Wellington image.

AND Wellington was also Irish :)

Arthur Wellesley was born in Dublin on 1 May 1769

John (but I'm Aussie NOT Irish) :) :)

no offense intended.
Ray

No off offense taken either,
but I'll see what I can find to add to all these wonderful plates you are posting,

thanks SO much,
from an appreciative painter of Naps :)

John

AND Wellington was also Irish :)

Arthur Wellesley was born in Dublin on 1 May 1769

John (but I'm Aussie NOT Irish) :) :)

The poor old Duke! what shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse. Daniel O'Connell, in a speech (16 October 1843), as quoted in Shaw's Authenticated Report of the Irish State Trials (1844), p. 93

Hello the World,

I know the site given by Mirof ---extensive coverage of the uniforms at Waterloo -- it is a resource much appreciated. Goodness knows how long it took to compile and set up.

As an aside, uniform and nationality has caused me a little confusion in the past. In 2015 I attended the re-enactment of Waterloo. A day or two before the event I was walking round the allied camp and spotted a large contingent of "Gordon Highlanders". I went over to speak to them and discovered the vast majority of them came from the Hannover area in Germany. Fortunately I have some German and they had some English, however some of the other "highlanders", were Spanish, communication was somewhat more limited. I also heard one or two voices belonging to re-enactors from the U.S. in the camp ( not Canadians),however they were not wearing the uniform of the 60th regiment -- The Royal American Regiment - but British line regiments.(?) I'm sure there were also English speakers amongst the "French", re-enactors.
A point of amusement to my group was seeing on Belgium TV the re-enactor playing Napoleon being booked for parking illegally in Brussels. One of the group pointed out that Napoleon therefore got further in 2015 than he did in 1815.

Blackbob

Hi Bob,
Actually this is what I'm afraid of EVERYTIME I post "ENGLISH", I know there are various nations covered here under the banner of "English" I should have put a disclaimer, no offense intended. I would just like to start a resource for all on the forum to look to for uniform help and information. Please I ask all to note as well, THIS IS NOT MY THREAD! I want the members to post prints and relative artwork here pertinent to the subject I will continue to add themed uniform threads here as i go thru my collection and it will have many holes and opportunities for others to contribute.
Ray

Always safer to write "British" Ray, when referring to any of the Four Nations which make up our United Kingdom.

As an aside - today is Saint David's Day (1st March), which is our patron Saint's day in Wales - so Happy Dewi Sant to everyone (NB: Dewi Sant - is St. David - in our language).

Here's another pic for us Ray - and by one of your favourite illustrators, I think. I'm painting up a conversion of this very figure of a RHG Officer - (originally by Britains ), at the moment. Mine will be dated a little later c.1837 - and will dispense with the coat-tails. But I thought this one is well worth inclusion here. jb

Hi Bob,
Ray

For present, I think what you'd be better off saying is, British !

As that will take in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the four countries that made up for now at least, The United Kingdom.
Nationalists of course I accept, will disagree.

What the future holds, who knows.

Someone did say, history is written by the victor.

Steve

For present, I think what you'd be better off saying is, British !

As that will take in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the four countries that made up for now at least, The United Kingdom.
Nationalists of course I accept, will disagree.

What the future holds, who knows.

Someone did say, history is written by the victor.

Steve

Ok, I always thought British was a more contemporary term?(relatively speaking)
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back