Extortion Shipping (1 Viewer)

AJ82

Private 2
I did on online auction for some soldiers and won about 50 or so 54 mm glossy metals - the auctioneer quoted me $200 to ship and this seems crazy. When I complained they referred me to an outside shipper that quoted me $495?!

The shipping is from Carolina to NY.

What is going on here? Am I missing something?

My son runs a shipping company that also provides for our auction house. Shipping from UK to US can be pretty costly - always depends on size and weight. We had someone recently who bought a model ocean liner that was 4ft long and two feet high and fragile and the cost to ship it was as much as he paid (circa $1000) and the lady who bought some booklets and wondered why shipping cost was a lot for 'a few boxes of magazines.' - the weighed about 600 of your US pounds!

We usually suggest people ask for a rough quote before they buy.

{sm4}

My son runs a shipping company that also provides for our auction house. Shipping from UK to US can be pretty costly - always depends on size and weight. We had someone recently who bought a model ocean liner that was 4ft long and two feet high and fragile and the cost to ship it was as much as he paid (circa $1000) and the lady who bought some booklets and wondered why shipping cost was a lot for 'a few boxes of magazines.' - the weighed about 600 of your US pounds!

We usually suggest people ask for a rough quote before they buy.

{sm4}

And when interested persons get a quote for the postage they suddenly lose interest !

I wonder how much of the high prices is because of the Universal Postal Union subsidising what I think is / was termed emerging markets in which China has been taking huge advantage. Which is why you can buy something for .99 including Postage / shipping from China, where the exact same thing would cost you 5.99 from somewhere in your own country !
The cost of Subsidised postage being paid for from those with a developed postal system, which I think must account for at least some of the higher prices we have to pay here in the West.

Horus and ExcaliburKevin, in this case, shipping is within the United States, from one of the Carolinas to New York state.

However, some details weren't provided, such as whether the price includes insurance or whether it's scaled to package weight. Those are two things that can influence the price, just off the top of my head.

Prost!
Brad

Horus and ExcaliburKevin, in this case, shipping is within the United States, from one of the Carolinas to New York state.

However, some details weren't provided, such as whether the price includes insurance or whether it's scaled to package weight. Those are two things that can influence the price, just off the top of my head.

Prost!
Brad

Brad
Presumably being part of the UPU, USPS is effected to some extent and being so it effects USPS customers and those using it, such as yourself, whether they be in US or outside in the same way as Royal Mail customers in tghe UK are in effect subsidising China here in UK ?

I did on online auction for some soldiers and won about 50 or so 54 mm glossy metals - the auctioneer quoted me $200 to ship and this seems crazy. When I complained they referred me to an outside shipper that quoted me $495?!

The shipping is from Carolina to NY.

What is going on here? Am I missing something?

hi was it a professional auction house, they pay about $20 per hour to their packers. Next today you have to look at actual size of box, weight and value. I just shipped a box to nyc I am in Maryland that was standard size with high insurance, the cost was 83.15. Shipping is no longer very cheap. I only charged cost but it took me about 25 mins to pack, 15 min round trip to post office and about $7 in packaging. See how it can add up?

Tom

hi was it a professional auction house, they pay about $20 per hour to their packers. Next today you have to look at actual size of box, weight and value. I just shipped a box to nyc I am in Maryland that was standard size with high insurance, the cost was 83.15. Shipping is no longer very cheap. I only charged cost but it took me about 25 mins to pack, 15 min round trip to post office and about $7 in packaging. See how it can add up?

Tom

Then you might have queuing time at the P.O. as well as no ones time is free !

Tom

So maybe I need to charging all these costs when I ship a box from Mike to you?

I’m being sarcastic but $200 is outrageous.

It was insured to $500 but still seems incredibly high - $83 is one thing Tom but $200 and $500 - suffice it to say lesson learned and will never purchase from them again let's hope they at least arrives in piece!

It was insured to $500 but still seems incredibly high - $83 is one thing Tom but $200 and $500 - suffice it to say lesson learned and will never purchase from them again let's hope they at least arrives in piece!

I am not disagreeing with this really in any way, mine was more of a statement to what I see about the expectations around shipping. In this case, if you purchased from a professional auction house, they charge a steep handling and packaging fee along with the shipping fee. I am not saying it is necessarily fair, but I have always taken it as part of my "bid". They pay their people fairly hefty hourly fees that they pass on. Figure it this way, if this is well packed, in order to wrap 50 figures, you are probably talking 2 hours in all candor. (if they were loose). So figure they charged you $50 plus probably $15 in packing charges plus the shipping. SO, if it was $100 all in, but I do agree if only $500 in insurance, this seems a bit high. That said, if you ever see what packers at 3rd party shipping companies charge, it is outrageous. Long story short, I just ask ahead of time and figure it into my bidding, safer that way!
Tom

So maybe I need to charging all these costs when I ship a box from Mike to you?

I’m being sarcastic but $200 is outrageous.

Don't disagree, shipping costs themselves have become outrageous.
Tom

Agree on the shipping, but as people on here have rightly highlighted, there is a time and costs that we collectors do not think about, someone has to pack the box and you have to buy the box, tape and the packing material. Then it has to be taken to the post office or you have to organise a courier, if you do the later then you have to weight and measure each box and then go online and book it etc. These things all take time and people need to be renumerated for their time.

I remember selling 2 K & C figures on ebay and the guy complained about the postage, so i broke it down for him and explained it was X amount postage, was a new box which cost Y and there was ebay fees on the postage which were Z and there was no profit in the post. He was still not happy so i just told him to cancel it and i would not give poor feedback as he had just changed his mind and reminded him he also sells on ebay and for two similar K & C figures in the same size boxes he charged 20% more than i did. He cancelled and called me a female lady part in an ebay message, which they picked up and banned him for a month.

Do not know about the US, but we can shop around here, for larger items there is a website called Shipley [i have no connection] and you can put on what you want moving, where from and where too and get quotes. Mainly larger items.

Cannot comment on the exact amount of yours as do not know weight and or box dimensions, but you live in the most capitalist market driven country in the world, you must be able to shop around for quotes. If you get it cheaper then its a winner, if they all quote the roughly the same price then that is the market price. Good luck.

On the subsidising goods from China, agree, but you could say they are subsiding people in their own countries to get cheaper goods, so people can just buy more and more stuiff, as that what makes a lot of people happy more and more tat.

Appreciate the reply Barkman - yes you have a point there it does take time and effort to pack and yes I was able to get multiple quotes - it was really the $500 one that put me over the edge - suffice it to sat I could have flown there and got a cheap hotel room for a night for less than they would have charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back