Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (5 Viewers)

Cheers Brad, glad you like them.

The final figure from Selwyn-Smith's five Mounted KOA was commonly called "Knight with Mace". I have five of these currently in my collection.

From L-R ;

Rear left is Gilbert de Clare: Mddle left is, Sir Walter Manny: Front centre is Sir John Cornwall: Rear centre is Sir Ralf Beaupre; and far right is Sir Thomas Bernardistone.

Note that the only truly original figure with mace is Gilbert de Clare. I have substituted axes, sword and the horrific Morningstar ( a kind of mace studded with spikes!), for the others, among other changes to the original casting.

PIC_4716.JPGPIC_4715.JPG

Well, that concludes my Britains contingent of my Medieval MOUNTED figures - a total of 36 currently. Look in again for the rest of my mounted figures - to be followed by my Foot figures following them. jb

I have just found another of my Britains Knights, lurking on the WRONG SHELF, (where I had moved him to get at another one!). Drat! there goes my careful system!!! He belongs with the other knights who have their horses heads unarmoured and covered with cloth.

Anyhoo - he is Thomas de Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk, who you may be able to deduce from the 3 Lions on his coat of Arms, was of Royal blood. He was the 5th son of Edward I (Longshanks) and lived from 1300 - 1338.

PIC_4717.JPGPIC_4718.JPG

Next comes a piece that I think has given me most pleasure to re-create - which sounds a bit odd - so let me explain.

I bought a book by Peter Greenhill a few years ago "Heraldic Miniature Knights", and on page 94 there was a pic that I just adored from the mopment I saw it. Every time I opened that book, I was drawn to it - I guess many of you can relate to that feeling.

The pic was of a group of medieval figures, which was made by the master craftsman, Freddy Ping. It was of a mounted Sir Geofrey Luttrell preparing for a tournament, with his wife, Dame Agnes Sutton - and daughter-in-law Beatrice Scrope handing him some of his armour and weapons. The small scene was based on an illumination in a medieval book - called "The Luttrell Psalter". Freddy must have liked it too - as it became his Christmas Card for 1975.

P.S. If anyone here has one - please post a pic of it, I would love to see it.

So......a very individual piece that I adored - and still do. Could I make one that looked something like it??

I decided to "have a go" I used a horse that was once a Timpo knight's mount as the basis - and various bits and pieces from my "spares box", three figures from Dorset Model Soldiers as Luttrell and his ladies ( much adapted) - and a lot of milliput! - but eventually - I made this - and I was happy with it then - and still am.

PIC_4719.JPGPIC_4720.JPGPIC_4721.JPGPIC_4722.JPG

That's a great vignette, John, well done! Isn't Greenhill's book a great reference, too? I was happy to add it to my library, too.

Prost!
Brad

That's a great vignette, John, well done! Isn't Greenhill's book a great reference, too? I was happy to add it to my library, too.

Prost!
Brad

Absolutely Brad. The book has been the inspiration for many of those that I have posted so far. After having used that pic ( and the original from the luttrel Psalter), as guides - I have an even greater admiration for Freddy Ping. The painting and assembly of that little scene had to be thought through very carefully.

I know there have been problems with Ping's work after he had made them - as basically they were made from lead, which have proved too heavy for some of the mounted figures especially - but the design and execution, were often superb - and this is one of those.

When I was living in other countries to the UK, that book was the only one I took with me.

Here's a pic of the original page in the Psalter - note the latinised version of his name to Louterell within text.

LuttrellPsalterFol202vGeoffLutrellMounted.jpg

Moving on from my Britains Mounted Knights - I was fortunate enough to find six unpainted Charles Stadden Mounted Knights in kit form. All were beautifully made - and complete! Some were labeled, whilst others left me a free hand at painting them. After a bit of research and some thought, I came up with these for my six:

Bernard du Guesclin, Constable of France; King Henry V c.1415; Sir John Beauchamp KG.

PIC_4723.JPGPIC_4724.JPG

My next six are: Sir John de Clinton, Baron of Maxtock c.1325; Knight Templar, Crusader: Sir Henry Percy KG (1364-1403) "Harry Hotspur".

PIC_4725.JPGPIC_4726.JPG

Here's a couple of mine from Tradition of London;

These were among the first of my collection of knights - and the way they turned out encouraged me to go on with more (as you have seen).

They are: Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset (c.1471, Wars of the Roses), and Edward Plantaganet, The Prince of Wales "The Black Prince" c.1356.

PIC_4727.JPGPIC_4728.JPG

My next trio came from White Tower Miniatures, and I painted them as:

Richard I "The Lionheart" ; Antoine de Bourgogne, Duc de Brabant: and William I "The Conquerer" 1066.

PIC_4729.JPGPIC_4730.JPG

Here's two more figures, from different manufacturers; Fusilier Miniatures on the left - New Hope Design on the right.

I have painted them to represent: Owain Glyndwr, Prince of Wales c.1406; and Sir William Brandon, carrying the standard (made from a soft drink can!), of Henry Tudor at the Battle of Bosworth, 22 August 1485, where he died.

PIC_4731.JPGPIC_4732.JPG

My last two pics of my Mounted collection ( well done if you've stayed the course so far:salute::) are really mass produced Toy Soldiers - that I have adapted.

On the left is a figure by Cherilea - which I have painted as another Saint Joan of Arc (her shield is hooked to the horse by her left knee. Centre figure is a mass produced "Knight" by John Hill & Co. (I keep a few of these around for kids to play with when they visit us - saves my "real knights" from getting mashed! and finally I have a figure which defies identifying. I found him broken and repaired him to make him into a Mace carrying Baron Walter Hungerford KG (1378-1449).

I'll begin putting up my foot knights next - after a little nap!! jb:D:salute:: Glad these are ALL back in the thread once again.

Attachments

• PIC_4733.JPG
    PIC_4733.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 70
  • PIC_4734.JPG
    PIC_4734.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 104
Next comes a piece that I think has given me most pleasure to re-create - which sounds a bit odd - so let me explain.

I bought a book by Peter Greenhill a few years ago "Heraldic Miniature Knights", and on page 94 there was a pic that I just adored from the mopment I saw it. Every time I opened that book, I was drawn to it - I guess many of you can relate to that feeling.

The pic was of a group of medieval figures, which was made by the master craftsman, Freddy Ping. It was of a mounted Sir Geofrey Luttrell preparing for a tournament, with his wife, Dame Agnes Sutton - and daughter-in-law Beatrice Scrope handing him some of his armour and weapons. The small scene was based on an illumination in a medieval book - called "The Luttrell Psalter". Freddy must have liked it too - as it became his Christmas Card for 1975.

P.S. If anyone here has one - please post a pic of it, I would love to see it.

So......a very individual piece that I adored - and still do. Could I make one that looked something like it??

I decided to "have a go" I used a horse that was once a Timpo knight's mount as the basis - and various bits and pieces from my "spares box", three figures from Dorset Model Soldiers as Luttrell and his ladies ( much adapted) - and a lot of milliput! - but eventually - I made this - and I was happy with it then - and still am.

jb;

Excellent scene !

Really like the knight with his Ladies.

Great to have all on one base also.

Thank you for posting.

jb;

Excellent scene !

Really like the knight with his Ladies.

Great to have all on one base also.

Thank you for posting.

Cheers buddy -you are welcome - but they WERE all originally here - and but for the actions of one Company, they would still have been, without me having to go back and re-photograph them all over again.

And yes - I'm still not happy about the way they went about what they did.

I have also put the new pics onto Pinterest. jb

I'm continuing with my Medieval foot figures - and beginning with what I consider to be the real cause of victories - at both Crecy and Agincourt; The archers;

I currently have 10 archers ( one with a crossbow ) who came from two suppliers - Dorset Model Soldiers and Irregular Miniatures. Some have been modified by change of heads (for variation), the new heads coming from Irregular Miniatures who sell a pack of them. Some other modifications have been made by altering equipment and weapons.

Attachments

• PIC_4736.JPG
    PIC_4736.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 102
  • PIC_4737.JPG
    PIC_4737.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 101
I just had a flashback to the archery tournament scene in 1938's "The Adventures of Robin Hood", as the herald announces the competitors: "Elwyn the Welshman!"

Prost!
Brad

A great movie, possibly the greatest adventure movie ever made. It's definitely one of my five favorite movies.

Elwyn had already been eliminated from the competition before the beginning of that clip, so we don't get to see him. He was played by Howard Hill, who arranged the archery stunts for the movie. When Robin splits Philip of Arras' arrow in that clip, it's actually Hill who made the shot. He did all shots involving human targets, too.

Yes, a great film!

"But Richard! I'm your brother!"

A great movie, possibly the greatest adventure movie ever made. It's definitely one of my five favorite movies.

Elwyn had already been eliminated from the competition before the beginning of that clip, so we don't get to see him. He was played by Howard Hill, who arranged the archery stunts for the movie. When Robin splits Philip of Arras' arrow in that clip, it's actually Hill who made the shot. He did all shots involving human targets, too.

Yes, a great film!

"But Richard! I'm your brother!"

Yes - I couldn't find our Elwyn - as that's the only bit of the clip left. Shame that - but I agree - it was a really good depiction (apart from some diabolical accents!). I'll [post some more Foot Figures later on - have to go out now for some chores. jb

In addition to Selwyn's five mounted figures of the KOA, he also produced five foot figures. I originally bought five - and kept them as intended, but painted them as usual, as different "real" knights. I later bought another set of the five, but modified them by changing weapons - and of course, paintwork - to make up another five different knights.

My top pic shows four knights. The left rear shows the original pose with lance and feet apart - painted as Sir Richard de Staple.
His opponent has feet together lunging with lance - as Sir Edmund Trafford. Both of these figures are as originally intended

My front pair - are modified. For Sir Thomas Montague (left front) I have substituted the original spear with an arm with a mace.
Right front - is A French Man-at-Arms bearing a Poleaxe - in the livery of King Jean of France. Note that as he is no longer a knight, I have removed his spurs.

My next pic again shows at the rear the original sculpt for: Rear left, Sir Stephen Wessington attacking forwards with sword - against Sir John de Loyne , who is half turned with mace held aloft.

The front pair - in the same sculpts are again modified. Front left, Lord John Maltrevers now holds an axe, whilst Lord Thomas camoys hold up a sword.

All modifications are relatively simple - invoving no more than removal and replacement of weapons. My last two pics showing the last figure of the five will be on the next page. jb

PIC_4744.JPGPIC_4745.JPG

PIC_4741.JPGPIC_4742.JPG

The last of my foot figures from Selwyn - is the Knight attacking forward with axe held aloft. You can see from my pics, that once again the original figure with axe - has another modified figure holding a mace aloft instead.

The original figure with axe is Sir John Stammford, and the figure with mace is Sir Lawrence Mountford.

Ther are many more possible conversions of all five of these figures - which I'll hopefully be pursuing at some future times.

PIC_4746.JPGPIC_4747.JPG

My next pair of figures also came from Britains, from set 1258 (same set as the Mounted marshal seen earlier).

The Herald bears the Royal arms on both his trumpet and jupon (coat). The Esquire has been modified by change of right arm - which should be holding a pennon on a staff. However, this was how I found him, so clearly he had been modified before I owned him - so I kept him that way. I'm still looking for the original. Nice colourful figures these. jb

PIC_4748.JPGPIC_4749.JPG

Just when I thought that I had exhausted my Selwyn KOA, I remembered another one that I had purchased recently, a real old hollowcast this time, marked with the original Britains markings underneath the slim stand.

He is a carbon copy of the sculpt in the figure in my preceding post (Sir John Stamford) - but as he was an original gfigure, and in perfect condition, I didn't change a thing - but simply repainted him as Gilbert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus (1246-1308). I've just completed painting him - so here he is below.

He is Gilbert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus, (1246-1308), of an Anglo-Norman family, who is wearing the Coat of Arms of his Norman Father - as he wore at the Battle of Falkirk in 1298 - fighting on the English side in those turbulent times.

His blazon reads: Gule crusilly and a cinquefoil Or. jb

PIC_4759.JPGPIC_4760.JPGPIC_4761.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back