First Legion French 12lb Artillery Set and Crew (2 Viewers)

The overwhelming reaction from customers at the shows is they very much like the bases, when you display a group of figures together to represent a firing line, they look awesome all lined up with the bases seemingly being interconnected.

Haven't had a single person say they don't like the bases FWIW, this after displaying them at four shows.......

We'll start taking pre-orders for the April releases about 15 days or so before the figures are scheduled to ship. Thus far this has meant about 30 days of pre-order time. ;-) I would think they'll be on our site and available for order close towards the end of March or so.

Seriously, though, the artillery sets have left for our US warehouse and will be shipping out to everyone who has ordered one by the end of next week. I do hope you are pleased with it.

I've received the artillery set. Overall, I am pretty excited and happy with it.

This will be my "subjective" miniview, comparing them to K&C. I briefly scanned another thread where someone reflected on showing "knowledge," "diplomacy" etc... in the forum. I think it's garbage! After a stressful day of work demonstrating all that "knowledge" and "diplomacy" crap I just intend to have fun at home. Moreover, I have no personal relationships nor business interest with anybody here so I am free the express myself. Some may find this review beneficial and some may not.

Ok, enough of my crap. Let the war of First Legion vs K&C begin!

Pre-order service

Matt is really great in posting on this forum and posting nice closeup photos on the website. He communicates well with customers/potential customers. The ordering process was smooth and paying via paypal is fast and convenient.

K&C only communicates well with his VIP customers (or stiff neck supporters). But I guess K&C is in big business with a wide range of customers and they've the right to be pompus.

First Legion Wins here.

Shipping

I was initially disappointed with the delay. But Matt is awesome with his fast response via email and updates about the shipping status. Being a start-up company it's understandable that there maybe some logistical problems that they'll need to solve. As a customer I appreciate when a company can provide a definite and on time shipping dates. I've dealt with other companies (i.e. TinBay) which only gives me a rough schedule (i.e. 5-7 weeks) and no correspondence on the shipping status which I hate.

I can't compare this with K&C because I live in Hong Kong and I've the previlige of picking up K&C directly in their shop.

Packaging

It's in a nice box with foam. My set suffered no major damage. But First Legion packaging needs improvement.

K&C wins in packaging. I begin to appreciate how well K&C products are packaged and protected.

Scale

My major conern is whether First Legion Foot soldiers matches my pre-existing K&C soldiers in the same display. My answer is Yes!

(I don't have any First Legion mounted on horses and seems to me the scale of First Legion cavalry are too small. I don't think K&C horses are too big at all. I have reservation about purchasing mounted First Legion figures because their scales don't look matched on the photo.)

First Legion soldiers are more slender comparing to K&C. But their heights are almost the same.

The muskets and the swords/sabers are thinner than K&C (hence, more fragile) but I think they look more realistic to the scale. K&C muskets are way too fat and clumpsy looking!

First Legion is the Winner, although I hope they can be fatter

Painting

It's a different style comparing to K&C. The First Legion paint has a darker shade and looks more 'battle-worn.' But they're not weathered... no dirt on their boots.

The skin tone is too pale... they look closer to the zombies from TinBay and Figurine Emporium.

I think First Legion's style is closer to the Russian/Eastern european figures. K&C, Patriot and Frontline have a different style closer to Britains. Nobody wins.

Details

The sculpting and equipment have a 'higher resolution' comparing to K&C. I am impressed by the details on the Shako with the plate and insignia and the fine outlines on the cords. The NCO particularly has alternate Gold and Red strips on the cord. But I am disappointed that the plume has no fine feathery outlines as those in K&C.

The Napoleon Coat of arm on the cannon is brilliant.

The different facial expressions and the anatomical contour (the sunken orbits, nasolabial folds, the cheeks, philtrum on the upper lips) on the First Legion Sculpts is much more detail than K&C. K&C figures have flat faces.

I am particularly fond of the eyes (I have a keen interest in ophthalmology). First Legion has fine detail in painting eye shadow, blue iris and the central corneal reflex! The eyes've made the figure come to life! In contrast, K&C figures only have a black dot representing just the pupil. They all invariably have dark iris (in my K&C collection, only the mounted Coldstream Guard officer have blue iris. All my German LAH parading soldiers have dark eyes instead of having blonde hair and blue iris). Many of K&C figures have squints too!

First Legion Wins

Historical Accuracy

I am awestruck by the historical research and details demonstrated on First Legion figures. The uniform is very accurate and the NCO distinguishes from the line gunners. K&C always make mistakes on their NCO/officers figures, paying much less attention to the subtle historical differences. Although I am not a history professor/expert, but I can tell K&C has been sloppy in their research.

And after communicating with Matt on this forum, I know the First Legion bunch have a sound knowledge on historical matter.

First Legion Wins

Joints

The arm joints on First Legion do not smoothly blend in with the body. There's an unsightly gap on their shoulders, looking like my Tamiya 1/35 kits. Somehow I think K&C did a better job in concealing the joint gaps with a thick coat of paint or better fit between their joints.

K&C wins here.

This review has already taken up too much of my time. First Legion figures are expensive, no doubt. But I am very happy with my First Legion purchase and I intend to get some more in the future to compliment my pre-existing K&C collection.

If anyone following this thread has not viewed these already, here are some side by side photos posted on the First Legion website.

MD

Attachments

• sidebysidecuirassiers3_thumb.jpg
    sidebysidecuirassiers3_thumb.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 281
  • sidebysidecurassiers1_thumb.jpg
    sidebysidecurassiers1_thumb.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 292
Guys,

Here are some photos. Sorry they aren't great pics but it gives a rough idea of what the set is like.

The crew

Notice the Bavarian soldier in the background. It came in a separate nice single box that is well protected and packaged. Also the arm joints of the Bavarian blends into the main body smoothly without conspicuous edges.

Unfortunately, my artillery officer, gunner with the ramrod brush and the NOC have shoulders showing an unsightly gap. (this cannot be well appreciated on 2 dimensional photos, you'll have to see it actually)

The NCO with the nice details of the shako. After chatting with Matt, the plumes of the artillery are supposed to be old fashioned and has not fine feathery outlines.

The cannon has a nice insignia, crisp golden color with realistic shadows/dry brushing. It cannot be dissembled (unlike Del Prado) and the wheels cannot be rotated.

Side by side K&C. Their scales match. The Del Prado artillery driver on the left is a bit oversized.

Another shot. Check out the detailed paint job on the face and the eyes by clicking on the 'original size' photo on webshot.

For a collector without much knowledge like me, I would like to see First Legion produce a brochure with the historical background and also a caption about the equipment and uniform of each figure.

I really like your idea about producing some colateral material to go with a set such as this. As it is a large and detailed set and a lot of research went into producing it, it's a great idea to share some of that research and generally explain the uniforms and equipment. Thanks for that, I think this is something we will definitely do on future releases such as this and include it with the set itself. Simply excellent idea.

I'm glad you enjoy your artillery set and the Bavarian NCO.

Best,

Matt
First Legion Website

The artillery set together with the mounted colonel are now in stock and we will be in attendance at the London Toy Soldier show and David is making some dioramas to complement the figures.
Mark

I've received the artillery set. Overall, I am pretty excited and happy with it.

Scale

(I don't have any First Legion mounted on horses and seems to me the scale of First Legion cavalry are too small. I don't think K&C horses are too big at all. I have reservation about purchasing mounted First Legion figures because their scales don't look matched on the photo.)

oberstoskar, thanks for the detailed review. One question though, how did you compare the scale of the 1st L Cavalry? From the website, these are not yet scheduled for release. Did you look at NAP0020 French Mounted Artillery Colonel?

WD, where did you get your photos of the painted cavalry? All I saw on the site was this one:
http://www.firstlegionltd.com/images/gallery/54mmcuirassier.jpg
It did say they were changing the bases to the more convention square but I rather like the ones they showed.

We have two images of two of our cuirassiers next to a K&C Cuirassier on the scale page of our website.

http://www.firstlegionltd.com/scale.aspx

This will give you an idea of the size comparison. I think that size wise they fit pretty well. In terms of quality, I leave that for you all to ponder...

Our first cavalry releases will be out late this summer.

Best,

Matt
First Legion Website

We have two images of two of our cuirassiers next to a K&C Cuirassier on the scale page of our website.

http://www.firstlegionltd.com/scale.aspx

This will give you an idea of the size comparison. I think that size wise they fit pretty well. In terms of quality, I leave that for you all to ponder...

Our first cavalry releases will be out late this summer.

Best,

Matt
First Legion Website
LOL:eek: Obviously, I could not see the nose in front of my face. Thanks for the clarification Matt. From the pictures, these appear to be among the best cavalry sculpts I have yet seen. I look forward to these and the allied counterparts.

That they do. I am hoping for some word on British Cavalry soon (other than Scot's Greys) to counter these guys.:D

Just received this set today. Its truly a work of art I love it. Now I will go and make a diorama for it. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back