First Painting Project Help (2 Viewers)

JD1990

Private
I picked up a band of about thirteen semi-flat figures like this one at a flea market. They look a bit rough and need repainting. Can anybody give me a quick guide on how to do this? Do I just prime over the old paint and begin? Is there some sort of secret to getting the old pain off?
IMG_0076.JPGIMG_0075.JPG

Looking at them and seeing the paintwork I'd just prime over and then repaint.

They don't have a lot of fine detail to worry about, but if you do want to, you can always use paint stripper to remove the paint, and then prime and paint.

Please show us you painting progress,

Here are some I've repainted

prussianf.jpg

John

You have yourself some Schneider figures, cast with molds, or copies of molds, originally made by Gebr. Schneider ("Schneider Bros.") of Leipzig, Saxony, Germany, who were in business anywhere from around 1890, up until 1945. They may be simple, but they have a charm about them. I have a collection of Schneider molds, originals and later copies.

I have settled on using the automotive de-greaser Super Clean to remove paint; previously, I used oven cleaner. The active ingredient in oven cleaner is lye, however, and that makes it a bit of a pain to work with. You need to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. SuperClean is not nearly as caustic, though it's still a good idea to use gloves and ventilation. But you can use a batch of it over and over, unlike oven cleaner, which is once-and-done. I use glass jars of various sizes and fill them with the liquid, and immerse the figures in them.

Once you have the paint stripped, you should prime the figures. I use automotive primer (Walmart's brand) for figures like these, it provides good "tooth" for the finish coats, and it's relatively inexpensive. For paints, there are so many choices. You could use hobby paints, such as Tamiya, Humbrol, Testor's, Model Master, or even craft store paints. Soldiers like these are typically finished in a gloss finish, so you could go with gloss enamels, or use gloss or matte enamels or acrylics, and then use a clear gloss coat. I use Future acrylic floor covering, for my gloss finishes.

And I'll second John, do let us see your progress and the finished figures!

Prost!
Brad

Snap!

These Schneider figures can still be found today - as the moulds were ( and still are) sold for home-casters who wish to cast their own - can still do so. These were made just a couple of years ago, by a friend of mine - and I painted them, using Humbrol enamel paints, which are easy to find - with a coat of varnish at the end - to protect the paint - and enhance the shine. They look even better under the Xmas tree!^&grin

These were bare metal - so didn't need stripping - but when required, I still use Oven Cleaner to remove paint and grunge from old Toy Soldiers (TS's). I use an old marge tub - and put just enough in to cover them - and re-use until it can't take any more old paint!! Sure, use rubber gloves - and then rinse off from time to time. I buy a big bottle of the stuff from our local "Pound Shop" , and it lasts for ages.

These are great fun to do - and look great when completed. jb

Looking at them and seeing the paintwork I'd just prime over and then repaint.

They don't have a lot of fine detail to worry about, but if you do want to, you can always use paint stripper to remove the paint, and then prime and paint.

Please show us you painting progress,

Here are some I've repainted

prussianf.jpg

John

Opps looks like that image didn't appear to me just now ...

here it is again from the PC not my website

prussianf.jpg

John

Don't know where you live, so I'll not be product specific. Agree that you can overpaint as there's little detail to be lost. I've always used acrylics from craft stores for painting . . . cheap and a wide range of color. Painted hundreds over the years and am happy with results, which have been near professional. I do use a clear gloss as a final coat or two . . . and here I use a higher quality. Brushes are important, but you don't have to spend a fortune at craft stores. Order of painting is not important (e.g., head first or last). Use an art pen for eyes . . . forget the whites.

Hope this helps . . .

Al

Thanks everybody for the tips and ideas, as well as providing me with a little bit of background on the figures. I'll be sure to provide updates as the project progresses.

Here's something which might help. It's an old catalogue page - which someone at some time, has added in the numbers of the moulds used to produce the figures. The moulds sometimes had more than one figure - and you can see therefore, that your (and my) trombonist comes out of mould number 67. These figures are what's called "Half Round" - and show the development of true "Flat" figures towards the fully round ones we are more familiar with nowadays.

So...you have found some interesting - rather than rare - figures. jb

Here's something which might help. It's an old catalogue page - which someone at some time, has added in the numbers of the moulds used to produce the figures. The moulds sometimes had more than one figure - and you can see therefore, that your (and my) trombonist comes out of mould number 67. These figures are what's called "Half Round" - and show the development of true "Flat" figures towards the fully round ones we are more familiar with nowadays.

So...you have found some interesting - rather than rare - figures. jb

I didn't see the image in your post, John. The URL shows in the text, when I quote your post, but it's not coming through.

I've got a couple of catalogs of Schneider figures, too. One is the catalog from H. Höhmann from Cassel, who make zinc reproductions of the Schneider molds, as well as some from Ideal (the German company, not the American--"ee-day-all") and one or two other mold makers. He used many of the original Schneider catalog illustrations.

The other is a large poster, about 3'x4', maybe, by Sachs, I think. He was an American salesman who sold Schneider molds, and then copies of them, plus some originals that he commissioned. The poster also uses Schneider catalog illustrations, and I believe that it was intended for and used as a store display in a store here in the Lehigh Valley, back in the day. Very useful for identifying the figures and the molds.

I should break mine out and do some casting. The weather is still good to work in the garage. I have painted figures, too, but they haven't seen the light of day in years. I've got molds to cast the Prussians, Austrians, Bavarians, some French, Jägers, and a couple of doughboys. I also picked up one of the cowboys and the buffalo. The quality of the Schneider molds and their figures is unique. They were the figures that got me into collecting toy soldiers. I like the style, they are clearly toys, but they are crisp and nicely sculpted.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
Quick bath in the oven cleaner and here are a few of the cleaned figures.
IMG_0078.JPG
And here is the complete set after a little primer
IMG_0084.JPG
My only regret so far is that while I was cleaning off the paint the sousaphone player he took a header off the kitchen sink and required some liquid stitches.

I didn't see the image in your post, John. The URL shows in the text, when I quote your post, but it's not coming through.

I've got a couple of catalogs of Schneider figures, too. One is the catalog from H. Höhmann from Cassel, who make zinc reproductions of the Schneider molds, as well as some from Ideal (the German company, not the American--"ee-day-all") and one or two other mold makers. He used many of the original Schneider catalog illustrations.

The other is a large poster, about 3'x4', maybe, by Sachs, I think. He was an American salesman who sold Schneider molds, and then copies of them, plus some originals that he commissioned. The poster also uses Schneider catalog illustrations, and I believe that it was intended for and used as a store display in a store here in the Lehigh Valley, back in the day. Very useful for identifying the figures and the molds.

I should break mine out and do some casting. The weather is still good to work in the garage. I have painted figures, too, but they haven't seen the light of day in years. I've got molds to cast the Prussians, Austrians, Bavarians, some French, Jägers, and a couple of doughboys. I also picked up one of the cowboys and the buffalo. The quality of the Schneider molds and their figures is unique. They were the figures that got me into collecting toy soldiers. I like the style, they are clearly toys, but they are crisp and nicely sculpted.

Prost!
Brad

Sorry Brad - a computer expert - I am NOT!! I don't know a URL from my elbow.:redface2: The image shows up on my page okay - but I'm pretty sure you will know the type of illustration I mean - almost silhouette images - with handwritten mould numbers (incidentally - the spelling of mold/mould is just a quirk of English and American English:D which differ a tad!). If you do cast some soon - I'd love to see what you have produced.:cool:

I just love mine too. Very Toy Soldier - as well as a link to the past. I'm very glad that these can still be produced - and old ones still found too. They are a very good intro into the hobby of painting TS too, as they are not too difficult to paint to a reasonable standard, and the nuances of shading etcetera, which is often found on the more "realistic" styles of painting can really be ignored. A good old glossy finish really suits these down to the ground - so good luck to our friend JD1990 with his efforts - and welcome to a wonderful new hobby. jb

As promised, here is a picture of the complete finished set. I don't guess they turned out too shabbily for my first painting project. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and for the interesting background on Scheider figures.Untitled.jpg

Those came out very nicely indeed, well done! Hopefully you've caught the bug and will try your hand at more painting projects.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back