FL Dilemma (1 Viewer)

I don't mix and match ......K&C Britans John Jenkins Thomas Gunn Aeroart are all in there own display case's ......so size dose not bother me ....I have just started collecting First Legion Romans and have 10 now ....they are in my own opinion the best !!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen an FL figure that isn't excellent and really enjoy the way ranges are brought up: logic, continuity, allowing for some planning. I would never think of mixing them with any other manufacturer's. Personally if I choose to collect them in depth I'll terminate all other ranges^&grin... The choice boat...

Paulo

Dont get me started on sports.....I hate when guys at work used to say I cant afford to bring my kids to sporting events any more.

No human is worth the money they pay sports people to a play kids game with a ball or puck.

And our Vets can hardly keep their families supported.......

Dont continue this here...but I had to get that out.

Totally agree with this post...{bravo}}.....something's wrong with what's valued in this country....Very sad indeed.... (better to continue this on general discussion section).....Regards Frank

Totally disagree with this. If they were to play the retirement panic buying game, at the slow rate they release stuff, I'd be gone. Right now I only have the armored car. It is so exquisite, that it is the first & last piece I bought; enough to make me realize that FL was in a class of itself & just wouldn't mix with other brands at all.
I wish guys that speculate on this stuff would keep to Wall Street or Vegas like the rest of the population, and let the enthusiasts simply enjoy this hobby. Not to mention it's just embarrassing. If people are that hard up for an extra hundred or so dollars as adults, there's something much bigger that went awry with the master plan.

Excellent Post....Well said...{bravo}}

I just wanted to clarify one quick point on this thread. We do not keep up a continuous production of our WWII or other ranges. We typically produce only a fixed quantity in a single run and once that production sells out, the items are gone and we do not go back and make more of them. How long it takes to sell out of course depends on how many we produced to begin with, the popularity of the range, etc... So while as of today, all of the WWII codes are still available, one day you'll visit our website and the codes will be gone because we have no more of them. There are very few exceptions to this, such as the additional production run we did of the NAP French Line infantry and we're also considering making a supplemental production of ROM001 because the figure sold out so fast and we probably under estimated how many we needed. But generally speaking, we only produce one run and that's it becuase we have so many new figures to make that it doesn't make sense using capacity to go back and make older figures. So the WWII figures will disappear as well and without warning.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that point!

Best,

Matt

I just wanted to clarify one quick point on this thread. We do not keep up a continuous production of our WWII or other ranges. We typically produce only a fixed quantity in a single run and once that production sells out, the items are gone and we do not go back and make more of them. How long it takes to sell out of course depends on how many we produced to begin with, the popularity of the range, etc... So while as of today, all of the WWII codes are still available, one day you'll visit our website and the codes will be gone because we have no more of them. There are very few exceptions to this, such as the additional production run we did of the NAP French Line infantry and we're also considering making a supplemental production of ROM001 because the figure sold out so fast and we probably under estimated how many we needed. But generally speaking, we only produce one run and that's it becuase we have so many new figures to make that it doesn't make sense using capacity to go back and make older figures. So the WWII figures will disappear as well and without warning.

Best,

Matt

Good Morning Matt,
Thanks a lot to clarify that point.
One suggestion : Do you think it could be possible to had on your website a warning when a code will disappear soon (ex ROM001 - only 10 in stock)?
This could allow the customer to plan their purchases.
I'm looking forward to the next FL production!!
Best regards from France.
Xavier

Good Morning Matt,
Thanks a lot to clarify that point.
One suggestion : Do you think it could be possible to had on your website a warning when a code will disappear soon (ex ROM001 - only 10 in stock)?
This could allow the customer to plan their purchases.
I'm looking forward to the next FL production!!
Best regards from France.
Xavier

... as far as putting a warning. That may not be possible. First is you have X amount of figures to Start out with. By the time it goes to the website. there might only be X-minus whatever got sold up to that point. so it will be a guessing game still. And One more point, If they do put how much they have, you might have buyers that are not collectors but buying it so they can sell it on a higher price. Then, you are letting the foxes into the hen house. Just my opinion of course.

A warning like «retiring» or «scarce» might be a very useful tool for the collector. Britains does it and it is really helpful. Of course the point about non collectors chiming in is also a very good one. But FL's figures have limited runs anyway, and any non collector investor type must be in the know about this, so...

Cheers,
Paulo

Some good common sense points made here regarding production runs, warnings of scarcity etc. etc......I'm all for any strategy of production runs that helps keep speculators out and helps FL's loyal customer base purchase wanted products from the company.....Most of us have had enough of panic buying/price manipulation tactics by "collectors" and manufacturers........A REAL TURN-OFF.

First Legion products are a very unique entity.

Here is what I mean....

Their stuff is excellent....

BUT...

They don't fit with any other figures.....this is a Big problem for a diorama builder like me.

They are very expensive...Just a Big problem in general

They don't retire them.... to me this is a Big problem, because you pay a lot for them and you could never get a decent return, should you decide to sell them.

Their WWII range is limited as of now. Especially no Western Front enemies ( Americans... Brits )

Despite the negatives I mentioned I still like them very much....so I am torn as to where to go with them. I have about 20 Figures and a Stug. Some days I say I am done with them and other days I say I am putting in a order for everything. If I do dive in, then I have to cut back else ware or sell some stuff. I wish I knew what their future plans were as far as what they intend to produce.

Cutting back would be tough, because I love my TG and TCS also. Figarti, I will never cut back on. Are any of you in this same boat ? Alex

I think that a good diorama modeller is always able to mix figures from different brand & size on a diorama; this it is not a big problem. If there is something to considered when you put different brands together is the sculpture quality & painting. by saying that, FL will only fit well together with Aeroart figures, both has the same quality sculptures and painting, so pay attention when you will do your next photo sessions.

After seeing what Matt posted, I checked the Civil War range and so far everything is there although there is no ACW 38 but I'm not sure there ever was one. A possible warning would be nice.

After seeing what Matt posted, I checked the Civil War range and so far everything is there although there is no ACW 38 but I'm not sure there ever was one. A possible warning would be nice.
Hello,
Please find below ACW 38 not release at this time... probably in few days!
Regards
Xavier

I think warnings will likely do no good, Brad...and may actually serve to promote problems with hoarders/speculators....The best strategy IMO would be for a manufacturer to consider re-releasing some items that are good consistent sellers if there is a demand or design similar comparable products within a line......So far FL has done a good job in that respect......Also we collectors can take an "active role": boycott purchasing products on secondary markets that are priced well above retail....lastly panic buying is no fun for anyone....Hopefully FL will continue to accurately gauge the right production amounts to satisfy legitimate demands for product over a reasonable period of time.

The best strategy IMO would be for a manufacturer to consider re-releasing some items that are good consistent sellers if there is a demand or design similar comparable products within a line......So far FL has done a good job in that respect......

Good point, I also dislike panic buying, and FL seems ready to follow your idea.

Cheers,
Paulo

I think that a good diorama modeller is always able to mix figures from different brand & size on a diorama; this it is not a big problem. If there is something to considered when you put different brands together is the sculpture quality & painting. by saying that, FL will only fit well together with Aeroart figures, both has the same quality sculptures and painting, so pay attention when you will do your next photo sessions.

Rod

I think we have been there and done that in The Great Crusade. And we will continue to do so.

Well I finally started a reasonably "HOT" topic with no major altercations, and I think actually some good came out of it.

It is so good that BSP is free of the manufacturers now, except for Figarti, but they handle criticism well, so now we can be free to say what we want. Well we always did say what was on our mind anyway, but we would get fired or scolded or something. We could never betray those who follow us, if we didn't think something was right with a particular product, even if it hurt BSP {sm0}{sm4}

So I came away from this discussion with a better understanding of FL's policies and some helpful insight into my FL issues. I want to dive in big time, but I am just not there yet.

I had given up on WWII just about completely it was First Legions Stalingrad line that got me interested again . Everyone has a personal opinion and mine is that if I thought First Legion's figures (note I said figures and not ATV's) looked compatible with what is on offer elsewhere I would not be buying them .
This is not a shot at anyother manufacturers its just the way I choose to spend my money ..
The day I received GERSTAL001 and GERSTAL002 and really looked at the quality of both sculpt and painting I was sold {sm4}. They are the best WWII German figures I know of at any price ... My only regret is with collecting Napoleonic , Rome and a few of the Crusaders is that I don't have the Money nor The space to collect more of what First Legion have on offer with the Stalingrad Line and with four more lines coming I'm afraid I will be overwhelmed ............................that is my only real Dilemma :wink2: Regards Gebhard

Best,

Matt

Gonna make a PzIVF2?! ^&grin

Gentlemen

Thanks very much for your insight......

I have been digesting my future collecting for quite a while now and ( Not that you really care ) I will take the following route. I am a scale modeler at heart, not a collector. So the answer has been obvious. But this discussion was very beneficial in assuring me of my direction.

FL Figures and AFV's and Figarti AFV's are the most like scale models, so I will concentrate on them in WWII

I will sprinkle in some TG and TCS....

FL and WB in ACW

JJ WWI etc.

And surprisingly Nick and I are doing HEAVY modification and weathering on FOV which is producing fantastic results.

This is what a good forum is all about, we all remained civil throughout this conversation and a member (Me) was given insight which was helpful to my dilemma.

I will be putting tons of K&C up for sale shortly.

Thanks Again
Alex

Gentlemen

Thanks very much for your insight......

I have been digesting my future collecting for quite a while now and ( Not that you really care ) I will take the following route. I am a scale modeler at heart, not a collector. So the answer has been obvious. But this didcussion was very beneficial in assuring me of my direction.

FL Figures and AFV's and Figarti AFV's are the most like scale models, so I will concentrate on them in WWII

I will sprinkle in some TG and TCS....

FL and WB in ACW

JJ WWI etc.

And surprisingly Nick and I are doing HEAVY modification and weathering on FOV which is producing fantastic results.

This is what a good forum is all about, we all remained civil throughout this conversation and a member (Me) was given insight which was helpful to my dilemma.

I will be putting tons of K&C up for sale shortly.

Thanks Again
Alex

If it were only that simple. :rolleyes2: But it's not. scale variances will always be with us. The more manufacturers there are and the longer they produce models, the more variances there will be. :(

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back