Franco-Prussian War French 54mm (1 Viewer)

TheGrenadier

Private
Hello all,

I am looking to build a 1/32 Franco-Prussian War French army. With the lack of French line infantry/cavalry/artillery of the late 19th/early 20th century in 1/32 plastics, what have some of you done to fill in your ranks? I understand that AIP makes zouaves and lancers that can pass as French and their foreign legion sets could work (I could look past their havelocks). HAT produced some zouaves too. CTS cuirassiers can work as heavy cavalry but would some ACW figures from other brands work as well? I look forward to your suggestions.

Ex-Force have some pretty good ACW figures that could be utilized. Also they supply separate heads with kepis. Conte FFL would also work with head swop.

Why not use AIP German WW1 Picklehaube troops, but paint the coats blue and trousers grey and belts in black ????

I know that they have a cloth covering over the hat, but I think I have seen troops from late 1800's with a similar covering ???

John

Why not use AIP German WW1 Picklehaube troops, but paint the coats blue and trousers grey and belts in black ????

I know that they have a cloth covering over the hat, but I think I have seen troops from late 1800's with a similar covering ???

John

That would work pretty well. The plate, the cockades, and the chinscales, can be added with putty.

One detail should be noted-the brim and rear neck guard on the Pickelhaube should be about the same size. If the helmet were set on a flat surface, it should sit level. I've seen some figures with a neck guard that is just too long (Pickelhaube Miniatures sculpted his metal figures with too long a neck guard, for example). It makes me think the figures were kitbashed from British troops were sun helmets. Also, the Uhlans did not have neck guards on their Tschapkas, only a front peak. The Tschapka never had a neck guard, in all its history.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back