General questions (1 Viewer)

Kurt

Sergeant
I am a new collector and have a few general questions that I was wondering if someone could answer for me.

1. How long are most figures available until they are retired?

2. In general, how well do figures hold their value after being retired?

3. Are there any websites that show release date of figures?

4. Are there any websites with pictures showing how the quality has improved over the years?

Welcome KVASEY,

I can't claim any expertise on the matter but my guesses are as follows:

1. Generally Andy would discontinue an item if there were plans to produce a similar item (eg the AK20 demag was axed, and along came the AK29 greif; WS43 was retired but the moulds were used for the Limited Edition Tiger). Or an improved version at a future date, (eg countless DD/IWJ/VN and AK/FJ/WS sets ended up prolonging the life of certain moulds whilst the series could progress with newer versions of earlier themes). Or if the dealer feedback/general re-ordering quantites were slowing to a point of a further production run being unviable. Of if the 'collectibility' of the set was being adversely affected by other releases. Or if Andy wants to. Basically there are dozens and dozens of factors affecting the decision to discontinue an item. Historically it would have taken 3 or so years to sell out the 1st 500 items produced. Nowadays that amount would only last perhaps 6 months. One problem in deciding to commission an additional production run is the relationship between all the different production schedules at the factories. Another is the potential to explore alternative paint schemes, variations and so forth. Another is the size of the initial production run. Andy probably has 1,001 reasons.

2. The WWII German sets (AK, FJ, GC, WS/WS(w), LAH) all seem to hold their value but for the Allies its a different story - the early Battle of the Bulge YA sets did hold their value; the slow-selling early RA sets rocketed in value even if they were quite disappointed whereas the excellent new RA sets have poor re-sale value. Not all the early American DD sets significantly appreciate in value but the Arnhem sets, whether the 1995 versions or the 2000 re-releases, increased to astronomical levels (c$550-$600 per set) before sliding back to c$300 per set (eg see eBay this week for AN01 and AN02). Some of the American history series did not hold their value all that well and, allowing for inflation, it has only really been in 2006 and 2007 that the early Alamo (AM and RTA), Rough Riders (RR), The West (TW) have shown much appreciation. The Vietnam (VN) sets have bucked this trend somewhat. Of the currently-produced series which have a significant number of retired items - eg American Revolution (AR/BR) - there has not been any great mania for the earlier sets, perhaps on account of the vast improvement in the newer sets.

3 and 4. Bill Sager's www.toysoldiersusa.com should give you all the photos you need.

Welcome aboard KVASEY.

I really couldn't have answered your questions any better than Cannonfodder (who is an extremely knowledgeable gentleman), so I defer to his post. However, if you have specific questions about sets, particularly the older sets you will see referenced on Bill Sager's website, I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

Cannonfodder,
Very well said, concise and well thought out. This type of post is what makes this site go, knowledgable, well spoken people.
Ray

Ditto to what Louis and Ray said.

Generally, speaking retired K & C seem to steadingly march up in value. It's an upward spike. How far that will go, no one really knows. I don't think Rough Riders have generally followed suit but they're not doing badly either. Yesterday, a RR Defense Work Trench went for more than it has gone before. The West looks like it is doing very well. Generally, anything mounted does very well, such as the World War II German Cavalry, the mounted Rough Riders or the mounted West figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back