German paratrooper uniforms in the Battle of Crete (1 Viewer)

MikeNick

Sergeant
Hi.

I would like to know which uniforms were worn by the German paratroopers that invaded Crete?

Also, which company manufacturers toy soldiers/military miniatures that would reflect that uniform?

Thanks,

MikeNick

Hi.

I would like to know which uniforms were worn by the German paratroopers that invaded Crete?

Also, which company manufacturers toy soldiers/military miniatures that would reflect that uniform?

Thanks,

MikeNick

King & Country produced a range of Crete FJ's in the Grey/blue uniforms, you can still find these on ebay etc.

Rob

There is a pretty good photo reference book on this subject from a few years back. It is from Histoire and Collections and is appropriately titled "Fallschirmjagers in Crete, 1941". As Rob indicates, the uniforms were mostly the olive jump smock, though the book shows a few with early versions of the splinter-camouflage version.

Noah

I think because so many jumped at one time there was a mix of uniforms seen in theatre. As has been mentioned there are some good works on their uniforms from simple Osprey works to more in depth detailed works available. If you plan on dio work you can use all the available FJ's that have been released without too mmuch fear of going wrong. I read where FJ's jumped with their uniform and kit they used in France
Mitch

Mikenick - probably the easiest reference to get hold of is (as Mitch said) the Osprey/Delprado booklet numbered 70 from their Men At War series, called "German Airborne Troops in WWII". This gives a very simple intro into the subject at small cost - and there should be plenty around. There are a few very good drawn examples inside it of what many of their paratroopers wore for what they called "Operation Merkur" in May 1941 - which should help you considerably. Best of luck with your project - johnnybach

I agree that King & County's Crete Fallschirmjaegers are hard to beat; Gordon made an attractive Operation Mecur diorama for the Chicago show several years back which you may be able to find on the K&C thread. In any case, Hiriart has two catalog sets: 1217 GERMAN FALLSCHIRMJAEGERS and 1299 GERMAN PARADE FALLSCHIRMJAEGERS, both of which I have in my collection.

Attachments

• 1217 German Fallscrimjaegers.jpg
    1217 German Fallscrimjaegers.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2,090
  • 1299 WW II German Parade Fallscirmjaegers.JPG
    1299 WW II German Parade Fallscirmjaegers.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 929

Users who are viewing this thread

Back