Gettysburg National 19th Century Base Ball Festival July 15-16, 2023 (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
Not a "Toy Soldier Show" but an Event nonetheless!
I'll be there attending games both days and spending a few days prior in Gettysburg. If anyone is in the area and wants to catch a drink or anything, let me know! It's quite a fun group traveling (kind of) together for the weekend!

Gettysburg National 19th Century Base Ball Festival

baseball2-M.jpg

Schmitt Field, Rochester MN

OLD TIME BASE BALL
OLD TIME FUN
Come see what base ball was like in the 19th century as 30 clubs from all over the US compete on 5 fields all weekend.
Clubs will be playing by the same rules and customs of 1864 while using the same style uniforms and equipment. Family fun for everyone!

The Fillmore Fungi Line-up!
'Spud' Robison
'Smokefeet' Gorder
'Mitten' Sandlin
'Monster' Boyum
'Slugger' Boyum
'STACHE' Hanson
'Bubba' Barry
'Playboy' Barry
'Pudge' Barry
'Weasel' Pericak
'Sauerkraut' Boehmer
'Flash' Ferguson
'Slim' Cady

Julie

Slow to recap! But this was a super-fun trip with a great group of people! Only two injuries on the 12-man team, so that was good!

"Slim" became "Peg-Leg" after a Day 1 leg injury. He was able to bat, but required a runner.
"Bubba" went down Day 2 with a hamstring injury.
And strictly as he almost missed our flight...."Slugger" became "Tater Tot...Later Tot" as "Spud" and myself were lobbying the gate agent to please wait and hold the door! Other people on our flight assumed he was our son.....nope! But we really did not want to have to figure out how to get him from BWI to Gettysburg later in the day!

Gotta say, with those rolling fields where the outfielders were below our line of sight from home base, I'm glad there were only 2 injuries!
Day 1 was boiling hot and we were all glad their matches were done by noon!
I luckily have quick reflexes, as a foul ball careened at my face on Day 1 and I blocked it....courtesy of "Sauerkraut" at bat! He apologized profusely, but it is why you have to pay attention during games I guess!
A few trips, slips and belly-flops on the slick field on Day 2. I missed an epic belly-flop when "Mitten" hit a hole right in front of our seating hay bales! He wasn't hurt other than his pride.....and then proceeded to belly flop the rest of the game.....
Lots of pine-tar on the bats that day as "Slugger" accidentally tossed his bat once. Connected with just the grass luckily.

Since I am only used to them playing the 1862 Rules, it was a learning experience figuring out the changes with the 1864 rules played at this festival.
Big ones were:
1 - Able to overrun first base
2 - Stealing / leading off base
3 - Sliding

Led to lots more talking amongst the players and needing to be aware of the entire field! I think it was a good learning experience for them all. This weekend they are playing these rules again with a few more MN teams in preparation for some of the New York teams traveling out in August.

"Spud" and I went on a horseback riding tour of the battlefields starting at Artillery Ridge, taking a path Meade once rode and riding past Trostle Farm as well. I booked with a Horse Rescue group for our tour and the group was great! I got to ride Duke and he was a gem. Definitely an experience to take if you can!
We also went skydiving so I could cross off State #8 on my personal list! Quite fun even though it was the smallest Cessna I have 'fallen' from!

Battlefield tours happened throughout the weekend in smaller groups. We always re-grouped by evening for dinner, drinks and pool time!

I also popped in to bother Larry at "For the Historian" and caught up with him over dinner one night. Always a fun time catching up on life outside of work!

Come Monday, we were all headed back to MN via car or plane and back to the usual.

A few pics and feel free to check out the Photo Gallery if you want! Still editing a few here and there at certain players' requests.

Resized_20230713_095301-M.jpg

Trostle Farm

IMG_4451-M.jpg

Field 2, Day 1

IMG_4513-M.jpg

Mitten

IMG_4521-M.jpg

Playboy and Bubba staredown....

IMG_4583-M.jpg

Weasel

IMG_4594-M.jpg

Versus the Gettysburg Generals

IMG_4672-M.jpg

Mitten & Bubba attempting to fix my umbrella....they cared more than I did I think!

IMG_4673-M.jpg

I also had a rain jacket and was hanging out with Stache, our resident Pirate!

IMG_4965-M.jpg

Final Game with flipped shields to become to "Gopher State" and finally won!
Family fun for this photo as Smokefeet's granddaughter/Slim's Daughter is the "Fun Gal", Flash's two little boys and a few kids from players on the other team.

I was 'off-duty' for non-game time, but loads of fun pics as we were out and about! If I get them at some point, I'll add to our album!

Have a great weekend!

Julie

Never heard of this event. Sounds like a lotta fun.{bravo}}
Mark

Thanks for sharing the weekend with us. It looks like loads of fun and you got to see gettysburg too. Excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back