Gettysburg or Valley Forge Show? (1 Viewer)

And we have dogs coming that weekend. The toy soldier show coincides with a group of greyhound owners (7,000+) strong descending on GB. Maybe the dogs will reenact Pickett's charge. What more can you ask for? Fun for the whole family unless they gain access to strong drink and run wild through the streets.

http://www.trianglegreyhound.org/gig/

I have always found shows to be a great adventure.

When you go to a Toy Soldier Show - You know in your mind what you would like to pick up for your collection - but, when you get there you find the unexpected ! :eek:

Something that is "RARE" (just for you CC) and yes - a little marked up - but no too bad.

I have always come away from a show with a Napoleonic Figure or a certain K&C figure that I wasnt counting on. It could be called a treasure hunt !

At one show I found - John Jenkins single figures from the BM series on sale for a good price - now, where could you find that if not at a Toy Soldier Show ? ;)

Chris,
Don't sound so enthusiastic about the show........:p.

I know, I am being a big baby!! :p:D:D I was thinking over my post a little last night and my point is this:

When I go to shows, when you walk around by guys tables, you start getting mugged and guys start spouting off about this being retired and that being limited edition, etc. It really becomes annoying after going around the first 2-3 dozen tables and getting that stuff constantly thrown in your face. It really wears you out. The problem is that a majority of these guys that do this don't care about the hobby, don't add anything to the hobby, they are just in it to turn the "retired" pieces and be done with it- it's almost like some kind of hustle. Now certainly, that isn't Treefrog's MO, or your's George or most other people but there are other people that are out there without scruples that just do this kind of stuff. I'm not talking about the stuff that was retired in 2000 or whatever, I am talking about the sets that were retired in like January or since- once that "Retired"- moniker- and I don't mean just KC either- hits the street- people start getting jittery and start tacking on $5, 10 or even $15 when, 2 days prior to KC or whomever announcing something is retired, they would have been content with selling it to me at retail.

There is no doubt to me that this show is going to be a lot of fun and I don't mean to sound sour. I am looking forward to seeing you there George, as always, hanging at your tables is like going to Cheers- a really really good time. I guess my sentiments with this are with anything in life- Let the buyer beware. I'll admit, I am starting to sound like an old broken record.

Hey Ron- I have one set/figure that I am looking for and if I can score him for a decent price I will leave a very very happy dude. Hint- it's a Roman:p

Chris,

I know exactly what you are talking about. There is one guy I know who does this, particularly at the Chicago Show, and he has everything overpriced by around 10% to 15% minimum, and tells inexperienced people that everything is rare and retired. But don't let the lousy profiteers ruin what is for the most part an industry full of great people like just about every K&C dealer.

I agree with Louis. I have never run into a dealer at a show trying to push anything on me. I believe most dealers realize that collectors are up on what is new, retired, and rare.

Chris,
Come and hang out at my tables, I promise you no aluminum siding salesman doublespeak and we'll have a lot of laughs like we did at Cold Wars, ok? That's a promise from me to you..............

Chris,
Come and hang out at my tables, I promise you no aluminum siding salesman doublespeak and we'll have a lot of laughs like we did at Cold Wars, ok? That's a promise from me to you..............

Are you kidding me, just going to George's table is an invitation to sell the family jewels. Yes, sirree, George Guerriero is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad man:D:rolleyes::p:eek:

Chris,

I know exactly what you are talking about. There is one guy I know who does this, particularly at the Chicago Show, and he has everything overpriced by around 10% to 15% minimum, and tells inexperienced people that everything is rare and retired. But don't let the lousy profiteers ruin what is for the most part an industry full of great people like just about every K&C dealer.

Your spot on bud. I dunno- Gettysburg is just different. There is a lot of tourists in the area and I am sure there will be some foot traffic from that. Let's face it- it's the site of one of the greatest battles ever fought in the world. I go to GBurg fairly often and there are all sorts of trinket and souvenir shops peddling all sorts of things to these poor tourists- I guess that is pride and parcel of the "tourist trap"- happens everywhere though- Atlantic City, orlando, etc, etc. I guess, especially after being a part of this forum, I don't want to see "innocent" people get taken advantage of- I have seen all the good that this hobby has to offer and it just is a pet peeve of mine that there are people out there who do bad things to people and are associated with my hobby- does that make sense???

I am sure this is going to go just fine. I am probably just getting nitpicky. I think the problem is that I have all the 2000-03 stuff (or enough of it that I want) and I don't mind seeing that stuff increase in value but now that I want the "newer retired" stuff I am snorting and stomping all over the place:eek::eek:

I agree with Louis. I have never run into a dealer at a show trying to push anything on me. I believe most dealers realize that collectors are up on what is new, retired, and rare.

I don't know dude, here in Pa, and granted, this is at the wargaming events, I seem to attract them like flies- no offense George- you certainly aren't who I am talking about.

I wished that there were shows available to me without traveling the length of the country.
You guys up east have it made.
My only consulation is the best of them all, OTSN, is only 5 and a half hours away.
Gary

In reply to all the messages that have been posted with regard to the promoters of the Gettysburg Show and Sale on April 27th, let it be known that Wayne Stevens, Carl Hoegermeyer, and John Stengel "Marx Man" will most certainly have a number of tables at the MFCA as well and have actively promoted this show which they have all participated in for a number of years. When asked they have encouraged new dealers who are attending the Gettysburg Show to take tables at the MFCA Show in Delaware and also people who were coming for the weekend to also attend the MFCA as well as the Gettysburg Show since they were coming up for a weekend. All three promoters have been actively promoting all shows they attend. NETSS, NJHMA,The 17th Albany Show, MFCA, William Harlowe's New "Northern Virginia Toy Soldier Show and Sale to be held on May 4th, 2008 at Tyson's Westpark (Best Western) Hotel, Mac Lean Virginia, this will be the second show at this location. The 7th Annual Toy Soldier Show at the Virginia War Museum in New Port News, VA, on May 17, 2008, Bill Harlowe's New Armory Toy Soldier Show and Sale at the Annapolis National Guard Armory in Annapolis Maryland on Sunday June 1, 2008, Northwestern Pennsylvania Toy Soldier Show and Sale at the Oil City Knights of Columbus Hall in Oil City, PA Sunday, June 22, 2008. Michigan Toy Soldier Show, Livonia, Michigan date in July TBA. National Capital Military Collectors Show, NoVA Community College, Annandale Campus, Annandale, VA, on September 13, 2008. The Hudson Valley Toy Soldier & Military Miniature Figure Show and Sale, September 14, 2008 at The Crowne Plaza Hotel & Suites, White Plains, NY. A new first time show "Allegheny Midwest Passage" Toy Soldier Show and Sale will be held on September 21, 2008 Radisson Hotel Sharon, West Middlesex, PA. OTSN Chicago Show, Shaumburg, Illinois September 28, 2008 "The New Yorker" Toy Soldier & Military Miniature Show and Sale will be held on October 4th, 2008 at the Adria Hotel and Conference Center, Bayside, NY.

This is a comprehensive listing of the shows that we attend. We provide fliers to the promoters and we distribute them to our customers. We are diligently promoting and trying to preserve this precious hobby for future generations. If there is a question about my attendance at any of these venues please feel free to contact Carl Hoegermeyer and I will be more than happy to answer your query. I look forward to seeing you this coming weekend at either the MFCA or the Gettysburg Show.

Thanks for The Gettysburg address of show listings, we all really appreciate you taking the time to promote all of the shows you, Marxman and Harlow will attending this year and also for letting us all know about the shows your dropping in a week before, the day before and the day after several long running shows; this is how you plan on saving the hobby for future generations?

Priceless..................

Guys

It is with great pleasure that Toy Soldier TV would like to publically welcome George onboard, as a show reporter and site contributer.

George has kindly offered to send me pics from the shows he attened and i will get them on TSTV to show the world other shows outside of the major shows.

Cheers George

Regards

Tony Neville
Toy Soldier TV
K&C UK

Thanks for The Gettysburg address of show listings, we all really appreciate you taking the time to promote all of the shows you, Marxman and Harlow will attending this year and also for letting us all know about the shows your dropping in a week before, the day before and the day after several long running shows; this is how you plan on saving the hobby for future generations?

Priceless..................

My prior posting was only to correct misinformation regarding my attendance at MFCA. Because of this misinformation, I decided to list the shows I was invited to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back