giant wwii plastic soldiers (1 Viewer)

jartzh

Private
in the 60s or 70s I remember seeing some plastic soldiers that had to be 9" tall. only a couple poses. Am I crazy?

I am now collecting all my Marx figures that I had as a boy. they are 54mm.
but the ones I am talking about are huge. (smaller than a GI JOE) and molded like a giant Marx.

Marx made 6 inch plastic figures. Off the top of my head, GI's, Germans, Cowboys, Indians, Cavemen, WW1 French & Scotts but I believe these were only sold in Europe. There were more.
Gary

Marx made 6 inch plastic figures. Off the top of my head, GI's, Germans, Cowboys, Indians, Cavemen, WW1 French & Scotts but I believe these were only sold in Europe. There were more.
Gary
I had just about all of them. 6 poses each, very well sculpted. Marines, Germans, Japs, Russians of WW2. Cowboys, Indians, Frontiersmen, Cavalry. Man from UNCLE, Spies, Universal Monsters, Marvel Super Heroes, Vikings, Knights, Cavemen, Astronauts. All unpainted soft plastic. For the 8 to 11 year old boy they were the best.

I had the German, Japanese, and US Marine figures. They were fun, but had nowhere near the number of poses as the smaller figures, and were much harder to build fortifications for.:wink2: -- Al

They were sold here in the U.S.. I well remember Perry Bros. Five and Ten store having bins with all the different 6" figures in them. I had the 6" Marines and Germans. Great figures.
BOBBYGMOORE

Had to dig these out

Attachments

• IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 232
I had the Germans, Japanese, and GIs/Marines. They were a lot of fun, and beautiful poses, but they never quite replaced the 54mm guys to me. I do remember wishing they'd do the poses in the smaller scales. At the time I didn't know Marx had 54mm Japanese figures; all I had were MPC. When some companies reproduced the figures in 1/35 - 1/32 scale I snatched them up.

If the figures you saw were painted you may have been looking at GoldMarx figures.

The Germans had a 7 th pose that was deleted as "too violent". It shows a German soldier stabbing downward.
It was recalled almost immediately and a mint copy will run you well over 100 bucks.
In fact one just sold on Ebay for a ridiculous 300 bucks!!!

Go here about halfway down the page.

http://www.marxwildwest.com/6-inch figures.html#modern_military

Tim, I am ashamed of you that you did not point this out. A veteran like you? No excuse!!

I had the Germans, Japanese, and GIs/Marines. They were a lot of fun, and beautiful poses, but they never quite replaced the 54mm guys to me. I do remember wishing they'd do the poses in the smaller scales. At the time I didn't know Marx had 54mm Japanese figures; all I had were MPC. When some companies reproduced the figures in 1/35 - 1/32 scale I snatched them up.
As a kid, I never knew Marx did Japanese soldiers, either. I had some other makers 54mm Japanese soldiers (MPC?) that had molded holes in the base. They were decent figures, sharply molded, as I remember. They painted up well. They died by the hundreds in their Banzai charges against my Marx Marines. -- Al

I always liked marx figures do the fact that the German figs had German weapons and uniforms, same with the Russian, GI and Japanese.
But can you imagine these being made today with the Japanese having buck teeth, slanted eyes and glasses?
whew

i see these sometimes at old toy shows..but not toy soldier shows. i bought some vikings like this. There was a guy remaking all of this era stuff witha 3 d printer. there were also some canadian soldiers. at one point. Must have been a local venture back when i was a user not a collector. (1970's) .also hobby lobby of all places were selling some decorative toy soldiers like this recently. Saw them a few months ago.

FYI.

As a kid, I never knew Marx did Japanese soldiers, either. I had some other makers 54mm Japanese soldiers (MPC?) that had molded holes in the base. They were decent figures, sharply molded, as I remember. They painted up well. They died by the hundreds in their Banzai charges against my Marx Marines. -- Al
Did some looking around and research and discovered that the Japanese soldiers I had were indeed MPC. Also had quite a few MPC German soldiers, although I thought them inferior to the Marx Germans. -- Al

I always thought that the MPC Japanese were some of the best figures they made. Great action poses that go great with the MARX Japanese and gives you needed poses that MARX didn't make. Put them both togather and you have a good grouping of figures for your Pacific and CBI battles.
BOBBYGMOORE

I thought Marx should have made 54mm copies of the six inch Japanese standing firing and lunging with bayonet poses. They were definitely needed. The knights needed to be made in 54mm too.

Back in the 90's a Mexican company called PlastiMarx reissued most of the 6 inch figures. They were sold at KayBee hobbies for a short time.
Unfortunately, they used regrind plastic and the weapons were easily broken off, so they ended up in the trash.

I bought the Soviets and Japanese at the time, fantastic re-issues!
Too bad they omitted those 6 poses from the original 1:32 collections.
Some pretty useful poses too!

Plastic General

The local crafts shop where I live has these 6-7" tall huge figures in stock, mostly WW2 Russians, but they've got Romans, Germanic barbarians and cave men as well, I should take pictures of them someday, since that's not really the theme of my collection...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back