Grass mats question (1 Viewer)

Cornwallis

Sergeant
I am thinking of getting a grass mat for my display and just wanted to check with anyone thats got one how stable the figures actually are on them.

The reason I ask is that I have only seen pictures used with odd WWII figures stood sporadically and I would want to use mine for my AWI figures in close line formation standing next to each other.

Would the grass mats be ok to use like this or would one figure likely topple and start a domino effect?

I am thinking of getting a grass mat for my display and just wanted to check with anyone thats got one how stable the figures actually are on them.

The reason I ask is that I have only seen pictures used with odd WWII figures stood sporadically and I would want to use mine for my AWI figures in close line formation standing next to each other.

Would the grass mats be ok to use like this or would one figure likely topple and start a domino effect?

They work fine

I have the JG M ones and all the FL, K&C, Conte and Britains figures I have sit just fine on them. Actually I should say in them since the flexibility of the "grass" allows you to work the bases into it and comb the blades around them.

I have a JG mat and I really like it...but some figures are a little unstable on it...I usually strategically place a coin underneath their bases to stabilize them better...on firing lines...yes...I have had them fall over like dominos...

of course it makes the flat bases a little un-level with the mat under them...I still think it's one of the better mats available and enjoy mine...

The matts I have are fine and, I have found that the weight of the figures will flatten the grass down in a short space of time. I hope this allays any worries and, they are well worth getting. Probably, the best things to come to the aid of diorama makers for a long time IMO
Mitch

The matts I have are fine and, I have found that the weight of the figures will flatten the grass down in a short space of time. I hope this allays any worries and, they are well worth getting. Probably, the best things to come to the aid of diorama makers for a long time IMO
Mitch

Hi Mitch, Thanks for the note.....I have the mats and also the one with a road...they are great! Although given that I do not leave the sets on permanent display and roll them out only when I plan out a picture foray.....their is not enough time to flatten the grass down....and I end up with the unstable issue mentioned earlier......But then there is always something more stable like a rock or bush close by to help stabilizing the scene.....:D:cool::salute:: a few pics follow....

Attachments

• IMG_7984.JPG
    IMG_7984.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_7957.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_7939.JPG
    IMG_7939.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 507
  • 2132.JPG
    2132.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 2102.JPG
    2102.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 492
Try using a small very heavy object where you want to place figures. If you get the length of time of compression right, you can put the figures down and only the grass around their bases will pop back up.

Terry

Hi Mitch, Thanks for the note.....I have the mats and also the one with a road...they are great!

Attachments

• IMG_8811.JPG
    IMG_8811.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 216.JPG
    216.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 212.JPG
    212.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 192.JPG
    192.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 321
Since reading this I hunted for and found myself a grass / river mat.
The only issue that I am having is with FLAG BEARERS .... I can't get them to stand for any length of time on the long grass. :(

The earlier K&C flag bearers are all but impossible to keep upright (especially the French Flag Bearer and NY Flag Bearer figures) where the flags are away for the body and you can not adjust the position of the flag.

On some of the newer sets, where the flag can be removed or turned to a balanced angle, the figure will "mostly" stay upright.

Has anybody ever "trimmed" the grass to see if that helped? ... :rolleyes2: Any further experiments on mats?

Overall I like the mat, though!

--- Larry

I have trimmed the grass under the stubborn figures. Only issue is you have to make sure that's where you want him to be. Once moved, you have a really weird spot in your grass!

One solution is to buy one of these for the spot!!!!! :p

1373_568561.jpg

{sm3} {sm4} ... TWO points for you on that one!!!!

I actually was thinking how I could "mow" the entire field .. if possible, or at least a section that the troops would be places on.
If it didn't work out then time to buy a Britain's Farm house or find a lot of rocks and such ...{sm2} ... or a lamp post with a DOG!!!
---Larry

Since reading this I hunted for and found myself a grass / river mat.
The only issue that I am having is with FLAG BEARERS .... I can't get them to stand for any length of time on the long grass. :(

The earlier K&C flag bearers are all but impossible to keep upright (especially the French Flag Bearer and NY Flag Bearer figures) where the flags are away for the body and you can not adjust the position of the flag.

On some of the newer sets, where the flag can be removed or turned to a balanced angle, the figure will "mostly" stay upright.

Has anybody ever "trimmed" the grass to see if that helped? ... :rolleyes2: Any further experiments on mats?

Overall I like the mat, though!

--- Larry

I have had the same issue with flag bearers and some cavalry figures. You can try putting some weight (heavy book or actually weight lifting plates) on the grass overnight. The flatened out space would depict actual troop movement on grass. Later if needed you could use a brush or comb to lift the grass up again.

Try rubbing the base back and forth till much of the grass sticks out the side then use a very small piece of museum putty or sticky tack under the base. make sure some of the putty gets down to the backing.
the putty can be removed.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ready-America-Museum-Putty-Collectors-Hold-99111/202214382

Terry

I have had the same issue with flag bearers and some cavalry figures. You can try putting some weight (heavy book or actually weight lifting plates) on the grass overnight. The flatened out space would depict actual troop movement on grass. Later if needed you could use a brush or comb to lift the grass up again.

Thanks NY and Terry ... That seems to work. Once the grass is flatten sufficiently it doesn't seem to what to pop up as much. I'll leave the weights on for a few days and see what the long term effect is.

Thanks for the advice.
--- Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back