Guderian Ente… First Legion’s New Jagdpanzer IV L/48 Model (1 Viewer)

tmanthegreat

Registered Member
I received the new First Legion Jagdpanzer IV L/48 model yesterday and it’s first rate! While I’m curious as to why they did not do the long-barreled Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V) type, I’m still happy FL finally made a Jagdpanzer IV of any variant. Mine is displayed with some of the new FL Battle of the Bulge and Late War German figures as well as the new tank crew repaints.

Enjoy 😃

IMG-1247.jpg

IMG-1250.jpg

IMG-1251.jpg

IMG-1248.jpg

IMG-1257.jpg

IMG-1258.jpg

IMG-1256.jpg

IMG-1253.jpg

IMG-1254.jpg

IMG-1255.jpg

That’s one neat tank, certainly a collectors wish come true. Really nicely setup as well to showcase it. Robin.

Beautiful set up and pics as always…and that tank is a beauty !

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone 😃

Did anyone else get this tank? I’m curious about what other collectors think…

I’m also curious to know more about FL’s decision to go with an early variant of the Jagdpanzer IV L/48 as opposed to the later Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V) (aka Panzer IV/70 [V]) that was more common in the Battle of the Bulge and late war period? Maybe we’ll get a Normandy repaint of the Jagdpanzer IV L/48 in the coming months…

Here goes tman, I'm disappointed with this one, it's nowhere near FL's usual quality.
1. No meaningful weathering
2. Stupid squiggly lines all over it to depict wear
3. Have a look at the painting of the wooden jack block and exhaust manifold, pathetic attempts
4. Check the positioning of the spare track at the front of the vehicle, it's upside down. If it was on a real jagdpanzer, the track would fall off.

These are my main gripes. I'm also interested in the balanced thoughts of others.

Brian

Here goes tman, I'm disappointed with this one, it's nowhere near FL's usual quality.
1. No meaningful weathering
2. Stupid squiggly lines all over it to depict wear
3. Have a look at the painting of the wooden jack block and exhaust manifold, pathetic attempts
4. Check the positioning of the spare track at the front of the vehicle, it's upside down. If it was on a real jagdpanzer, the track would fall off.

These are my main gripes. I'm also interested in the balanced thoughts of others.

Brian

Thanks Brian! I agree this isn’t one of FL’s best efforts... I’m really glad they finally made a Jagdpanzer IV, but it’s definitely got issues, especially when compared to some of their other recent armor releases. I’d love to see pics from other collectors that got this model as part of me thinks I might have gotten a lemon…

I’ve built a couple models of the Jagdpanzer IV in recent years (both the later L/70(V) variant) and learned a lot about the vehicle and AFV painting and weathering in the process (pics of my work below):

Restored vintage Monogram 1/32 scale Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) early August 1944 production variant:
IMG-1153.jpg

Resin-cast 1/18 scale Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) - supposed to be a later variant, but the home-built kit was imperfect:
IMG-0343.jpg

I’m honestly kind of surprised FL did not do the later L/70 variant which was more common for the Battle of the Bulge and late war period. FL’s Jagdpanzer IV is clearly a very early production version given the track stowage on the front glacis, the muzzle brake on the gun, and the rear mounted wheels (all features quickly changed on the L/48 variant not far into production). It should also have the zimmerit coating as well. It makes me wonder if we’ll see a Normandy version on down the road as the type of vehicle FL has sculpted would be more appropriate for that battle rather than the Ardennes Offensive.

I’ve definitely been thinking of giving the FL model a wash, if anything to help mute the colors better and make it look more like FL’s promo photos. But a part of me feels I should have to do that on a premium model. I’m hoping the upcoming Jagdpanzer 38T Hetzers are a little more accurate!

Last edited:
I've posted detail pictures on FB tman.
I've not had any success uploading pictures from my phone on this site.

Miniature Scenes (Matt from Hobby Bunker - copy of Figarti one only better) got it just right;

20230812_190128.jpg

I don’t normally do this on an expensive model, but given the subpar weathering on the stock FL Jagdpanzer IV model, I decided to attempt some additional weathering on it with the goal of muting and blending colors and FL’s existing weathering effects… I used some fairly basic techniques starting with a tan filter followed by a dark brown wash that I gradually built up in layers. I then applied weathering powders sparingly and sealed in with dull coat. Pics of the modified vehicle below and you can see how it originally looked in my first post.

I think it came out pretty nice 😎

IMG-1269.jpg

IMG-1270.jpg

IMG-1264.jpg

IMG-1266.jpg

IMG-1267.jpg

FL’s promo pic for comparison:
IMG-1260.jpg

I did not get this mode, although I love the type and researched it well when I put together a 1/6 model many years ago. Actually I backtracked a /70 to a /48.
The /48 version is a lot more versatile and was used in Normandy. The /70 was not used until later, so only appropiate for BOB and later.
As far as I could tell the /48 had zimmeritt added.
The cut off for zimmeritt was just after Normandy.

In the case of German armor, never say never, but it would be rare to have a /48 without zimmeritt. Equaly rare to find a /70 with the anti magnetic paste.

Some images obmy 1/6 model…

Attachments

• IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_5894.jpeg
    IMG_5894.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I did not get this mode, although I love the type and researched it well when I put together a 1/6 model many years ago. Actually I backtracked a /70 to a /48.
The /48 version is a lot more versatile and was used in Normandy. The /70 was not used until later, so only appropiate for BOB and later.

In the case of German armor, never say never, but it would be rare to have a /48 without zimmeritt. Equaly rare to find a /70 with the anti magnetic paste.

That’s a massive and beautiful Jagdpanzer IV model in 1/6 scale! Very cool 😎

And yeah, the majority of the Jagdpazer IV L/48s had the zimmerit coating and also had the muzzle break removed from the gun barrel (it kicked up too much dust when firing, revealing a vehicle’s position). The FL model seems like a very early Jagdpanzer IV L/48 as it lacks the zimmerit coating, retains the spare track stowage on the front, retains the muzzle break, the early rear mounted spare road wheels, etc. or it’s (sadly) just a poorly researched model.

Some of the very early Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V) variants (namely the few produced in August 1944) still retained the zimmerit coating found on the earlier L/48 variants, retained the earlier exhaust muffler system without the flame suppressors, still had 4 return rollers, and didn’t yet include the steel road wheels near the front of the vehicle. The vintage Monogram 1/32 scale Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) model I restored a few years ago is representative of the early August 1944 production type:

IMG-1153.jpg

Totally agree with BrianW, not only what was mentioned but a couple of the wheels on mine are completely crooked not to mention the wheels are gloss black. I also don't like rubber tracks. Fantastic repaint Tman! that's how it should have come! I haven't decided whether to repaint or just get rid of this one. It seems the price increase does not include quality increase. I do like the crew figures though, they are currently on my JJD Jagdpanther.

Incredible item! I always loved your posts and displays on the 1/6th boards…I never ventured beyond building skdfz250 when they sold those kits way back in the day

I'm just so glad I didn't buy one of these, came close many times. I think it would end up being the first product return I've ever done in this hobby.
Tman, you did a great job of making silk purse out of a sow's ear. :wink2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back