H.M.S. Treefrog.... (1 Viewer)

Michael: Nice work on the gunboat project. Now you did it.:confused: All I can think of is starting a gunboat like the Nile boats. I called my two buddies to see if they are interested in a project. Under Two Flags made one that I spent an hour looking at one year. Now I got Gunboatis:D Leadmen

I found a boat at of all places Ross. !5.00 $. Have pictures soon. CSN Dixie Star is in dry dock being stripped and awaiting refitting. I am debating removing the winches. She is a tug, so will wind up as a small gun boat. Next I will buy two and join them together for a much larger boat and side wheeler. It will help hide the seam.

Latest updates........chain strung between posts to protect my sailors from falling. Helmsman cabin cmplete, portholes done, smoke added.......just needs guns and crews....and H.M.S. Treefrog decals with Union Jack flying...

Attachments

• boata.jpg
    boata.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 78
  • boatb.jpg
    boatb.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
  • boatd.jpg
    boatd.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 80
  • boatc.jpg
    boatc.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 80
Nice job Michael, that is comming along great, love the grommet idea. I can tell you have carpentry skills, it shows. Mike:)

Hi Michael,

Your work is very impressive! I cannot believe the speed with which you have built this model. You have some serious talent and I appreciate the fact you share it with us.

Great work!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Wasn't "Portholes" one of the "Three Musketeers" :D

Seriously, that is a fine piece of modelling and how have you managed to turn it round so quick?

Very nice.

Regards

Jeff

I tend to do projects as challenges...I remembered the Trophy of Wales ships from a few years back, and more recent, saw the Dorset wooden patrol boats with figures. I thought to myself, either pay them $3000 or $400 or make it myself, for under $100.......and so while watching hockey on TV, worked on it. Once you find a suitable hull, the upper works are not that hard. The top part is removable, leaving the small cabin. When a temporary smoke stack is put in place, it becomes a Union gunboat with as a display for different crew.........My next plan is to work on a ACW Timberclad......Michael

Those portholes are a great idea.

Hey, KV, on ebay, there is an outfit selling large ( 20" long ) painted resin ACW Ironclads....I have been tempted to buy one and see if they would be reasonbly suited to displaying soldiers on them...Thought you might be interested, as they have REBEL ships available........I usually find them under theor ship names...Michael also has an Atlanta and Merrimac...for about $69

Attachments

• atlanta.jpg
    atlanta.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 133
  • cairo.jpg
    cairo.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 132
Is that one of them? I will take a look! My tug is progressing nicely. I decided to put one of the columbiads on the front deck.

Is that one of them? I will take a look! My tug is progressing nicely. I decided to put one of the columbiads on the front deck.

I want photos......I made my top deck to come off, so that by adding long stacks and a roof to the wheel room, I can display the USS Treefrog for my ACW stuff.....Michael

Attachments

• boath.jpg
    boath.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 116
  • boatf.jpg
    boatf.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 116
Hey Michael there is a guy selling ACW crews on ebay. Trade name simply enough is acwpainter. He has reasonable prices. I ordered ten unpainted figures.

The Dorsets are ordered from England and so I wait........I also saw those ACW figures, but right now trying to concentrate on Nile and Zulu era sailors.....Michael

Hey, KV, on ebay, there is an outfit selling large ( 20" long ) painted resin ACW Ironclads....I have been tempted to buy one and see if they would be reasonbly suited to displaying soldiers on them...Thought you might be interested, as they have REBEL ships available........I usually find them under theor ship names...Michael also has an Atlanta and Merrimac...for about $69

I looked for those and could not find them. Any chance you remember the dealers name?

I looked for those and could not find them. Any chance you remember the dealers name?

There is none on auction right now........just looked. When I see them again, I will give you a heads up........this is one of the guys, but there are usually 3....ckbolen Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back