Hackensack, NJ show this Sunday (2 Viewers)

REVWARBUFF

Sergeant Major
Just wondering if any of my fellow forum members here in the northeast will be attending the toy soldier show this Sunday in Hackensack, NJ? I have been looking forward to it since I first heard of it over the summer. (Already got my ticket). I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year, so this will be my very first show ever and I'm excited as can be.

Does anyone know much about this particular show? It's being billed as a major event, the east coast's largest as a matter of fact. What advice can some of you more seasoned collectors give that would allow me to be more prepared going in? I already have budgeted my money. All I need to know is how many suitcases would you recommend that I bring? :)

Here's the link for anyone interested:
http://www.vintagecastings.com/#show

Hello Revwarbuff,

I will be attending the show as a dealer. It will be my first time there as well but as you say it is supposed to be one of the bigger shows. From everything I have read most of the larger dealers should be there. Michigan Toy Soldier, Hobby Bunker, George from Minuteman.

I will have some of Morbshocks (Nick Nasta) custom dioramas on display that day so be sure to stop by and check.

I hope to get a chance to meet some of you from the forum so stop by and introduce yourself.

Thanks
Ronnie
www.crossroadsdiecast.com

I will be there. I'm bringing a friend, who sometimes posts here, Harvey Hammer. Also, I believe Louis and Larry Lo will be there.

As far as how much money to bring, it all depends on what you're looking for. Last year, I was principally looking for retired K & C and I didn't find a god blessed thing so I spend nada, nothing, zilch!

This year I'll be picking up the Kettengrad and maybe the Hummel from George so I will spend a little.

Again, I'll be looking for retired items but have no high expectations. I may also be looking to see what new Osprey books are out there. There's one coming out in November about the Afrika Korps so I hope it's available.

I will be attending as well I'm planing on getting some retired K&C DD sets and maybe some Iwo Jima, after seeing flags of our fathers I thought I would look at them and if they are as nice as they look in the pictures I will be buying some.

I will be attending as well I'm planing on getting some retired K&C DD sets and maybe some Iwo Jima, after seeing flags of our fathers I thought I would look at them and if they are as nice as they look in the pictures I will be buying some.

Mitch,

I think it's best not to have expectations as you never know what's going to be there -- or not there. Plus, what's there tends to be expensive. As a friend of mine said last year "the day of the King and Country deal is over."

Brad thanks for the advice I may be like how you were last year and go home with nothing and I relized that I can not go in with to high of expectations if the prices are to high I will definatly resist.

Thanks for the advice,
Mitch

In regards to the show, it is the biggest toy soldier show on the East Coast, with over 300 dealer tables set up in the fieldhouse of FDU. As Ronnie mentioned, all the major East Coast dealers attend, as well as some of the larger midwestern dealers as well.

Regarding retired K & C, rumor has it a dealer will be selling off quite a bit of retired DD sets, including the Lee, Stuart, Chaffee, airborne jeep and the Iwo Jima Sherman, all without boxes I'm told. I will have what is left of the Arnhem figures I've taken in trade from a customer.

I will have six tables loaded with K & C, Figarti, Conte, Britains, ONTC, Honour Bound, New Model Army, FOV, 21st Century, loads of plastic figures and a huge amount of custom painted scenic pieces; bunkers, pillboxes, trees, bridges, etc from Conte, CTS, Foamtech, JG Miniatures, Build A Rama, Bresica Miniatures and several scratch built buildings from Nick Nasta, including a massive government building.

Hope to see many of your there............

Regards,
George Guerriero
Minutemen Toy Soldiers

It all depended on what you were looking for. As mentioned previously, if you were looking for retired K & C items, it was a washout. There were some Iwo sets, an old Highlander set (which I have), a Royal Navy band set and a DD set (passed). And I was the second in line to get in.

However, I did get the Flakpanzer and Kettengrad from George as well as the Honour Bound Kitchen in field gray. Very impressive! I also picked up an extra Arnhem figure which I actually had (second series).

I saw the Figarti Tiger that Hobby Bunker had as a demo. Yes, it's impressive in that it hasn't been done before but it kind of left me cold. I was also considering the Figarti P 40 but found it rather drab so I passed.

There were lots of people there and business seemed to be good, at least for George. When I first saw him, I asked him to hold the Hummel. When I got back, he had forgotten and he had sold them all out! I think he had six or seven so you know he was doing well.

Brad,

For me, the best part of these shows is meeting other collectors, especially putting a face to the names from the forum. Let us know about who you met and what you discussed.

I decided to go at the last minute, since I had to make an airport run away. I arrived after noon, and thought the show was pretty crowded. Looked like business was good. Does seem that all of the older K&C is on ebay. Not to much at the show. I thought the "Collectors Showcase" figures looked interesting. I wish they had made the first run 60mm. I also liked the Britain's "Yorktown" setup. I bought a K&C Kettenkrad from Hobby bunker. And a move I'm know I'm going to regret, my first K&C Crusader figure :) from Greenwoods (nice people). Also saw the stone bridge by Morbshock, very impressive !

I thought the show was good too, but of course when I went I changed my mind on what figures I was going to get so I decided just to buy some WS sets from K&C that I did not own yet. Overall it was a good show.

Some random thoughts on the show;

Since it takes me about four hours to set up my display, having only from about 6:30 am to 9:00 am doesn't work for me, but I did the best I could. No time to take any pictures of my displays, which was too bad as the Collectors Showcase LAH stuff sold well, as did the German motorcyle and the pak 40. The figures are too big to use with K & C; reports in another thread that they look like zombies are not true, but to each his own.

As Brad mentioned, sales were incredible, as I sold through all of my WS 79, 80 and 81 items before noon. I sold four Honour Bound winter Panthers from 9:00 am to 10:00 am, just unreal. To give this some perspective, at OTSN, I sold zero winter Panthers in five days. I also sold all of my field kitchens; what a terrific piece that is. I sold about nine NMA Sturmtigers, even without the much talked about missing crane. The winter one looks superb with the K & C winter items.

I really did not have a chance to leave my stand to see what else was out there, but I can't complain as sales were so good, I couldn't afford to walk away. Customers loved the new Japanese, Crusaders and Alamo figures. It would have been nice to have the new BOR Pacific terrain features to sell alongside the Japanese, but what can you do. I did have some custom buildings from Nick Nasta of NJ, which my customers all thought were excellent. Thanks Nick.

If you live in the CT, NY, NJ, PA area, you owe it to yourself to come to this show, the largest one of it's kind on the East Coast, second only to OTSN in scope.

Thanks to all of you who stopped by to say hello and to do some business as well, it is always appreciated.

I decided to go at the last minute, since I had to make an airport run away. I arrived after noon, and thought the show was pretty crowded. Looked like business was good. Does seem that all of the older K&C is on ebay. Not to much at the show. I thought the "Collectors Showcase" figures looked interesting. I wish they had made the first run 60mm. I also liked the Britain's "Yorktown" setup. I bought a K&C Kettenkrad from Hobby bunker. And a move I'm know I'm going to regret, my first K&C Crusader figure :) from Greenwoods (nice people). Also saw the stone bridge by Morbshock, very impressive !

Hey, I was at the show too! Glad you liked my stone bridge. I did get a ton of compliments on it. I wanted to meet with other forum members but I only met Fish sticks, I mean Fish head. How come no one else said hello to me???? I don't bite! Oh well, next time guys...I'll take my teeth out...LOL

Nick/AKA Morbshock
nov-11.jpg

Some random thoughts on the show;

Since it takes me about four hours to set up my display, having only from about 6:30 am to 9:00 am doesn't work for me, but I did the best I could. No time to take any pictures of my displays, which was too bad as the Collectors Showcase LAH stuff sold well, as did the German motorcyle and the pak 40. The figures are too big to use with K & C; reports in another thread that they look like zombies are not true, but to each his own.

As Brad mentioned, sales were incredible, as I sold through all of my WS 79, 80 and 81 items before noon. I sold four Honour Bound winter Panthers from 9:00 am to 10:00 am, just unreal. To give this some perspective, at OTSN, I sold zero winter Panthers in five days. I also sold all of my field kitchens; what a terrific piece that is. I sold about nine NMA Sturmtigers, even without the much talked about missing crane. The winter one looks superb with the K & C winter items.

I really did not have a chance to leave my stand to see what else was out there, but I can't complain as sales were so good, I couldn't afford to walk away. Customers loved the new Japanese, Crusaders and Alamo figures. It would have been nice to have the new BOR Pacific terrain features to sell alongside the Japanese, but what can you do. I did have some custom buildings from Nick Nasta of NJ, which my customers all thought were excellent. Thanks Nick.

If you live in the CT, NY, NJ, PA area, you owe it to yourself to come to this show, the largest one of it's kind on the East Coast, second only to OTSN in scope.

Thanks to all of you who stopped by to say hello and to do some business as well, it is always appreciated.

Thank you George for carrying my buildings....Nick
nov-2.jpg

Last edited:
Brad,

For me, the best part of these shows is meeting other collectors, especially putting a face to the names from the forum. Let us know about who you met and what you discussed.

Hey Louis, I got to meet Fish Head and we talked about scratch building techniques and the items he and I purchased at the show. Here he is taking photos of my work like a spy!!! LOL.
Nick
nov-13.jpg

This was my first trip to the Hackensack show but I thought things went well. It looked like a good turnout. Nick's buildings and dioramas were the big attention getter over in my corner. He received tons of compliments on all of his work throughout the day.

I didn't get much of a chance to walk around. I did take a few minutes to check out George's setup, he had a good looking display as usual. I also spent a few minutes with Brian Greenwood from Greenwood Toy Soldiers.

One other thing I really enjoyed was the young kids coming by. You could tell a lot of them were up on their toy soldiers.

I also had the opportunity to spend the day with Alex and Nick. They brought Nicks dioramas over and helped me for a good part of the day.

Ronnie
www.crossroadsdiecast.com

Nick I think I may have seen you at your table because I rember the bridge by any chance do you have a mustache or was that the guy alongside you??

I wonder who had the mustache...............Grey Hair too right.....

Boy Nick and I must really be on the outs a few Forum members evidently did attend, and only Fish stopped to talk to us. Thats what you get for being Toy Soldier Renigades.....At least we met some of our Sponsors Ronnie, George and Matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back