HBO: John Adams Miniseries (1 Viewer)

The picture - is actually an engraving printed by Paul Revere. He was a member of the Sons of Liberty and a leading freemason.

The detail in this production is outstanding - It will be a MUST BUY DVD when it comes out. I really am enjoying the series - the wife and I have watched both episodes twice now ! :D

It is amazing how many Americans have no idea about our history - hopefully this will help.

Especially for those who want a change in the future - it would be nice if they had a little knowledge of our past. ;)

I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the DVD of this series - sounds pretty interesting.
Cheers
H

Chris -

What are you doing up at 3 AM !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How many have already increased their King and Country AWI ranges because of the John Adams program ??

I have to confess - more british were bought for my collection :eek:

Gotta love the work from home option- over the last 3.5 weeks, I have spent 4 days working 24+ hours- scary thing- I'm loving it- hey, if my firm will pay me time and a half for all billable time over 40 hrs/ week, I'm there.

I may increase the range, certainly feel drawn to it. I gotta be selective in what I get here in the next 5 weeks as with the EoI Romans coming to town, all my booty is going to Caesar:p

Given all the recent discussion of race relations in the US election, I wonder if there is a profound difference in the way white and black americans view the events of the american revolution. For example, one result of american independence may have been the extension of slavery in this country for another hundred years. That is a subject usually mentioned only in passing in most of these films.

Interesting train of thought- I actually thought in the second episode with Franklin, Adams and TJ sitting around discussing the Con that they hit it square in the head Franklin saying "Yes, Yes, but we are not here to discuss the Emancipation issue right now"- I thought the acting and the statement there sent a message- lets tackle one problem at a time- they did it right.

I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the DVD of this series - sounds pretty interesting.
Cheers
H

So far Harry- don't look for this to be an AWI Patriot rehash- the entire second episode was spent in the bowels of the Continental Congres- almost like watching an exciting session of CSPAN- "combat" per se, has probably accounted for 1-2% or so of the show. I really don't anticipate it getting to be more than that- this is a show about John Adams, not GW.

That being said, if you enjoy historical dramas this is right up your alley- it's gonna be hard to top- may be the definitive AWI media event of em all.

Interesting train of thought- I actually thought in the second episode with Franklin, Adams and TJ sitting around discussing the Con that they hit it square in the head Franklin saying "Yes, Yes, but we are not here to discuss the Emancipation issue right now"- I thought the acting and the statement there sent a message- lets tackle one problem at a time- they did it right.

There may have been some truth to that statement based on practical considerations of the time. Taking on the Brits was no small undertaking, but it does not address the fundamental inconsistency of the colonists' rationale in seeking liberty and freedom for themselves as an inherent right while not granting it to their own slaves. They even had to fight a long and difficult war to obtain those rights but had the power to free their own slaves at anytime if they had so desired. The repercussions for future generations is all too apparent - civil war and racial divisions to this day. Just think how much differently race relations might have played out if, as a result of american independence, all slaves had been freed in 1776.

There may have been some truth to that statement based on practical considerations of the time. Taking on the Brits was no small undertaking, but it does not address the fundamental inconsistency of the colonists' rationale in seeking liberty and freedom for themselves as an inherent right while not granting it to their own slaves. They even had to fight a long and difficult war to obtain those rights but had the power to free their own slaves at anytime if they had so desired. The repercussions for future generations is all too apparent - civil war and racial divisions to this day. Just think how much differently race relations might have played out if, as a result of american independence, all slaves had been freed in 1776.

I'm not gonna let you bait me into this one :)

Your right- what might have been the repercussions- we may have lost war. They were spread thin as it was, the mission was disjointed and by all odds, we shouldn't have pulled it out- but somehow we did- with the help from the French and in the end, we set up a pretty doggone good country- perhaps if the English had won, perhaps the slave trade may have continued or the rights of minorities been denied- again, I ask everyone's pardon as I am not very well versed in the history of minority rights in Europe in the 18th- Century- this may very well not have been the case. Good, bad or indifferent, this was a task of unity and in order for this to succeed colonies like Virginia and South Carolina were needed and in the interest of expediency, concessions had to be made to appease them.

Either way, at times concessions have to be made- I am not saying I support slavery or any of that so don't ANYONE try to make it sound like I do. We are trying to instill our sense of ethics or morality into the 18th century. To those people, we would probably be seen as heathens given the state of dispute between church and state these days. To them, it would probably seem hypocritical that we write "In God we trust" on our currency yet have laws all across public places that are religion neutral.

And perhaps, without the efforts of the Revolution, we would not be able to enjoy the freedom to think and pursue ideas in a free and democratic way- perhaps we would still be stuck in a pseudo-English class society whereas the societal elite are the only ones who enjoy the freedoms we can all cherish today.

I dunno. It is what it is- I do believe that in the shows- especially in Episode one, they do show several black laborers on the docks of Mass working side by side with white laborers. I just think the issue of slavery and rights are similar to some of the hot button issues we have today- like gun rights, the rights of individuals engaged in alternative lifestyles, etc- no one can seem to come to a solution that satisfied everyone and in absence of that solution, nothing is done and the poor guy in the persecuted group continues to suffer- as, arguably in the end, everyone does.

Again, I am not mad or anything but I just feel like this could touch off some fireworks- I would be more than happy to discuss via PM in respect of TF's forum. I am in no way defending the position, I just believe it has to be looked at in the context of the time in which the events took place.

The Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 ended slavery in England under the following conditions:

1) All slaves under the age of 6 were to be freed immediately.
2) Slaves over the age of six were to remain as part slave and part free for a further four years. In that time they would have to be paid a wage for the work they did in the quarter of the week when they were "free."
3)The government was to provide compensation to the slave-owners who had lost their property.

Combat with all due respect - how many slaves where there in all of England in 1833 ?

It was easy for a growing industrial power like England to pass that Act - but, for more primative regions of the empire which requires manual labor to produce crops / products - it was (however wrong it was) impossible for those economies to do.

I usually avoid the whole race issue - because too much of "todays" politics get caught up in the true historical conversation. No doubt if we had freed the slaves back in the late 1700's we (the United States) would have avoided much bloodshed and civil trauma that still is with us today.

Interesting though - how a civilization that is Christian and believes in the Bible could support slavery?

Combat with all due respect - how many slaves where there in all of England in 1833 ?

Around 10,000 to 14,000, supposedly. Also, at that time the West Indies depended on slave labor for the sugar industry and it had a substantial economic effect.

Around 10,000 to 14,000, supposedly. Also, at that time the West Indies depended on slave labor for the sugar industry and it had a substantial economic effect.

Compared to the United States in 1830 - that is a small number. Also the West Indies would not be same economic impact that would have occured in the United States during the same period.

My point - it was an easy thing for Britain to do - It was not for the United States.

Anyone watch last nights episode?? Pretty riveting- loved watching the early history of the White House- very unique look to the whole evolution of DC.

Can't believe he was that hard on his son- just looking at the President of the US going into a depraved section of Philly (??) to see his son was a sure sign how things have changed so drastically. Heck, there were tons of scenes where Adams and Jefferson were just strolling about the place-no Secret Service (weren't around yet), no cameras, no fanfare.

I guess next Sunday they are going to show the whole series starting at 2pm and leading up to the final installment. My wife was almost in tears with last nights episode, I am sure the one with Mrs. Adams dying will push her over the edge.:) Anyhow, me and the missus are going to watch the entire stretch.

I really really enjoyed this series- I always felt like Adams was just sort of tucked in between Washington and Jefferson- I never really took the time to learn about him. Really an extraordinary figure.

I thought the early White House view was pretty cool. I liked the laundry hanging in his office. Wasn't the youngest son in NYC ?

I thought the early White House view was pretty cool. I liked the laundry hanging in his office. Wasn't the youngest son in NYC ?

He probably was, I saw some Yankees hats on some of those old Colonials :)

Well, not sure really, I had a bit of a hardtime following the locations. I throughly enjoyed the old shots of the White House- just howled at the end when he was rolling out of the White House in the cab with all of the workers and goes "What are you all gawking at?? I am now citizen Adams!!!"

I don't know if they could have gotten a better actor to play Adams. I was a bit skeptical at first but he seems to deliver Adams' wit and temperment just dead on.

I just really really enjoy this show!!

The reason I thought it was in NYC is I swear I saw a sign in that ally that said, "This way to the King & Country Museum"

I agree Paul Giamatti's performance is amazing in this. I also like how they don't gloss over things like what peoples teeth looked like back them.

I was waiting for someone to mention his teeth!
That one time he laughed and you got a full view of those teefes, almost made me gag!
As much as I dislike going to the dentist in 2008, wonder how bad it was in 1799?
Gary

Dentist, what dentist? They used barbers and blacksmiths to work on their teeth. G.Washington's were not all made of wood as we have taught to believe, at least one set was made of ivory. None of them, wood or ivory, fit worth a ****. Makes the prospect of apples, corn on the cob or beef jerky more interesting as you look back in time.

Thank god they didn't show Washington's choppers. Oh wait a minute they did when one of them came out of his mouth when he was eating his lunch. I heard on the History Channel his false teeth were a mixture of animal teeth, bone, and cadaver teeth :(

Funny thing but true story fellas- I think I read in dare I say it, Playboy, that there was a poll conducted in like 1795 (late 18th century) asking men what the most attractive asset was on a woman- not the typical things we think of today- nope, the most attractive thing on a woman then was..................... a full set of healthy teeth!!!

True story.

Hey fellas:

Missed the first episode but saw last nights show- anyone else watching this series. It was pretty good and it looks like there are more exciting episodes coming down the road. Last nights episode was pretty interesting to watch as you could see some of the parallels with todays issues even back then (ie, the debate in Congress over war).

Some of the scenes were pretty interesting- there was one where Ben Franklin, Adams and Thomas Jefferson were sitting in a room together, just the three of them, after Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. To have been a fly on that wall.................

Find it kind of ironic- the same actor who played Gen. Cornwallis in The Patriot is playing ol Ben in this show.

Chris
If you have cable and get HBO on Demand you get the each episode as they are released.

I am really enjoying this series catching a glimpse of what a lesser known president was like.Wish they would do more on early 19th cen. presidents especially William Henry Harrison and Andrew Jackson.Would love to see them fighting Indians.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back