Heads up---unfortunate Crusader Ladder (2 Viewers)

I think the only way to correct this is to cut a small trough (trench) on the reverse side of each of the vertical ladder legs, then glue a thin steel rod (available at hobby shops) into the trough with 5 min epoxy, then re-paint. I have done this once before and it seems to hold, though I did not have three figures on the ladder.

I think the only way to correct this is to cut a small trough (trench) on the reverse side of each of the vertical ladder legs, then glue a thin steel rod (available at hobby shops) into the trough with 5 min epoxy, then re-paint. I have done this once before and it seems to hold, though I did not have three figures on the ladder.
It sounds like a good solution but how would you get a uniform cut of the trench without breaking the ladder?

... maybe k&c will release another ladder set with new figures and include two ladders in the set. that way, when you purchase the new set, you get the extra ladder to replace the bendy ladder.

That's a superb idea. Now, can we have a set of " Napoleonic " pioneers advancing and carrying ladders. An additional new set to the recently released marching/advancing Coldstream Guards would fit right in. :rolleyes:

Ladders were still commonly used to assault fortifications in the Napoleonic wars. To top the above, K&C will have Crusade collectors, buying into NAPs :D :D :D

OD

It sounds like a good solution but how would you get a uniform cut of the trench without breaking the ladder?

I have a Dremmel, but would not recommend it for this kind of tight work. I have too many gouges in my fingers from similar past projects.

Depending on the hardness/softness of the metal, I would use a pointed object (leather punch or the like) to score a line, then use an Exacto knife to cut the groove to the right depth. If you have a small had saw, that might work too. I think a 1/3 of the width of the ladder leg would be enough.

If you don't mind the looks, you could simply glue the steel rod onto the back side of the ladder without the groove and paint it. It would show, but not too badly if painted, and I think it would have pretty near the same strength if you use a good epoxy and glue the full length of the rod to the ladder.

What about a small slice of flat aluminum? You shouldn't need a grove to glue that and painted it might not be noticeable.

In this case flat stock would work best if epoxy to back or the ladder legs. Model railroad stores have a full selection in sizes small enough to take care of it. You would be surprized how stong some of the steel poeces can be so it shouldn't look too odd, especially if painted over
WHD

What about a small slice of flat aluminum? You shouldn't need a grove to glue that and painted it might not be noticeable.

Why not? As long as the support rod / flat stock is strong enough. I do think you should use steel becasue you are intending to support three very heavy figures.

I inadvertently said "steel rod" because I have a bunch of them on hand to use for things like this. Flat sock would probably work if glued well. I do think it would be stronger if you made the groove, but maybe not. Try it and see.

The groove sounds very difficult. I had a similar bending problem with the stands for the early Corgi 1/72 scale diecast aircraft. At one time I even considered drilling a small shaft into the rubber part of the stand that went into the belly of the airplane and inserting a small steel rod to stiffen it. But I never did get the model drill press needed to make the shaft.

I am surprised we have not heard from Andy on the ladders?

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back