Help and Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Soniajune

Private
My sister-in-law wants to sell her deceased husband's collection of about 300 toy soldiers, most American Civil War. These were purchased in the 1980's, and she does have some of the boxes.

A couple of general questions:
1. How old must they be before they are considered Vintage?
2. It appears that the Ron Walls are no longer being produced?

She's asking for advice as to possible value, and the best way to sell them. Digital pictures have been taken, and below is general information about some:

She has approximately 96 Confederate Soldiers (six mounted)

• Confederate Artillery Crew – Two boxes, “Classic Miniatures” by Ronald Lloyd Wall, Rte 1, Desoto, Missouri, 63020 Boxes designated Set #44

• Ron Wall Miniatures, Hand-painted pewter figures cast from original sculptures, made in Missouri – American Civil War, Confederate Infantry with flag Two boxed sets She has put them in these boxes, but isn't sure if that's where they go--14 soldiers rifle forward (7 each box); 12 with bayonettes (6 each box)

• Confederate Band – Six horns – 14 pieces

• 17 cannons and Guns (one brass)

• General Robert E. Lee

Union - Approximately 125 Pieces

• Traditional Toy Soldiers – Original Tin Soldiers produced at The Soldier Factory, Cambria, California, # II-186, Union Infantry Standing Firing, Painted by The Soldier Factory 2/11/88 – Six pieces

• Old Time Toy Soldiers, Set #301, Union Infantry, Attention (Tru-Craft) Recreated by The Soldier Factory, Cambria, CA 93428

• Union Artillery Crew, Set #43 (2 boxed sets), A.C.W. (Ron Wall Miniature)

• N.Y. Zouave with Officer – Old Time Toy, The Soldier Factory, Cambria, (Tru-Craft Reproductions) – Jack Scruby’s Military Miniatures, Cambria, California – 26 pieces

• 8 Union mounted riders (although two may belong with other sets)

• 3 Union Flagbearers (one broken paper)

• 8 Union Musicians

• President Abraham Lincoln

(In the box with Union Infantry Standing Firing):

• 6 soldiers Red Chest Band with Rifles Standing

• 4 with Red Shoulder Packs

• 4 Riflemen Kneeling

• 12 Walking, Bent Knee

• 18 bayonettes Standing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20 years kind of gets the nod for vintage. Ron Wall was still in production last year. E Bay is probably the best bet for selling them your self. Takes a lot of time. You could try a consignment or auction house as well. Pictures are always a plus. You could try grouping them in sets. Selling them takes some work and some frustration. Are the sets boxed? The boxed ones will realize slightly better prices though this is not a guaranteed. If you want them to sell figure between 8.00 to 10.00 dollars apiece. Bands can sometimes get better prices as do the cavalry pieces. The really good ones are stuff like Mignot or old pristine Britains in their original boxes untied and lovingly stared at by some poor kid who never got the chance to play with them. If you want to get the best prices for them watch ebay for similar items. then price accordingly. Or take a chance take several group pictures and throw it all out there as a big lot. Sometimes guys go a little crazy trying to get one hard to get piece. Hope that helps.

Sorry for your loss, my condolences. This is very good advice. I might add that the Forum has a Collector's Classified thread that you could post the pictures and offer to members at a stated price or on a "best offer" basis. This would be less costly then Ebay and surely there are collectors on this forum that are knowledgable as to what is to be sold. If you don't have sets grouped correctly they would let you know. If these were more main line figures by King and Country or Britains they would be easier to sell on Ebay. Ron Wall and Scruby are great manufacturers, just smaller in size.

Yes they are correct, it is going to take some time. From what your saying, it does not sound like there anything really that old. Many collectors cherish the early figure like Gray Iron, Barclays etc etc. Early plastics collectors most certainly cherish Marx products. But no matter what you have, right now is a tough time financially for a lot of people. I'm seeing a lot of stuff for sale with ver few buyers. Heres another suggestion, you might try getting a table a toy soldier show, but the problem with that is they are pretty spread out around the country. Perhaps the best alternative is Ebay and advertising it on some of the toy soldier message boards around the net.

Are the figures really worth that though? I have a fair bit of his stuff I got long ago at prices no where near what that site says. Is a mounted Robert E. Lee worth $500? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Their market on ebay in the last 6 months has been pitiful, I saw a full artillery set in the box sell for about $56, that is a far cry from retail. I personally like some of the personalities, but you can buy a K&C Tank for the price of 1 single figure.

WOW, I had no idea that Ron Wall was asking $100 for a single figure. When did that start?

Thanks very much for all of the good advice and assistance offered. I'm going to post a few of the digitals to the classified section in an effort to identify some of the figures. We didn't think to dust them before taking pictures, and hadn't realized that some may be marked on the bottoms as well. There are many more soldiers than boxes, and so the sorting goes on.

I'm guessing that quite a few of them are Jack Scrubys, and I have a general idea of their value based on Wendy Scruby's reply to my recent e-mail inquiry:

"Pieces from the 1980's would only hold value as new toy soldiers (not vintage) and the price would be worth about the purchase price, generally about $8-10 for infantry and $12-15 for cavalry."

The Soldier Factory in Cambria, CA where some of the figures were purchased, has posted on their website that as of April 2003 they were no longer producing Jack Scruby's toy soldiers. Historifigs has taken over the production of all Jack Scruby 54mm, 40mm and Wargame Soldiers.

I went to the HistoriFigs website and it said,
"In March of 2004, HistoriFigs began production of Jack Scruby's Toy Soldiers. This effort reunites the entire family of Scruby Military Miniatures, bringing many out-of-production figures back to life for wargamers and collectors alike."

This world of Toy Soldiers is new to me, but very interesting and educational as well.

Any additional thoughts would be most welcome, and thanks again!

Still learning. Is this Robert E. Lee a Wall, Scruby or another?

Attachments

• Robt E Lee Front.jpg
    Robt E Lee Front.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Robt E Lee Side.jpg
    Robt E Lee Side.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 131
I am pretty sure it is not Ron Wall...I have a number of his early stuff and it is not his base....Some might think different ,if their figures are pre 1985, as mine are..Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back