Help Finding - Irish Troops - 1916 (1 Viewer)

Aggie99

Private 2
This may not be the right forum for this, but I was curious if anyone knew of a manufacturer that made Irish Troops for the period during the Easter Rising of 1916...!?

At this point, I am not too picky on what can be found. I mean, I normally focus on 1/32 sized plastics, but metal is always fine by me. I just get plastic b/c its more affordable.

If anyone knows of where I can find such figures, please let me know.

Thanks!!

I have searched on and off for figures on this subject for years, and have not found any. I came to the conclusion that I would have to make them myself by converting other figures. I wish you luck in your search.

What about the Irish Toy Soldier Museum. They might have something or be able to help. I don't if it's the same person but there used to be two Irish gentlemen who used to sell at OTSN (although I believe one passed away a year or two ago).

I've checked them out - they have one figure from this event. A bit of a disappointment, if you ask me. I had a friend of Irish heritage (now deceased!) that was very interested in the Easter Rebellion, and he converted figures to build up a nice little display.

Don't know if the vacuum is political or if there's just not enough interest.

Jenkins and K&C - are you listening???? :D

PJ,

Wasn't sure, it was just a "stab in the night."

As far as other companies making something like this, I don't this would go over well in the UK and you'd be losing a large market.

I've seen a few of these themed figures made by Tommy Atkins/Fusilier come up on E-bay, I believe. Maybe you could ask them, they don't have them in their website if I am correct but they do sell figures you can't find on their website http://www.fusilier-miniatures.com/. Maybe they might do a commission.
Why not check Tradition, they have lots of castings you can paint or have painted to order (http://www.traditionoflondon.com/index.asp?page=Home.asp#).

Paulo

The Warrior Irish which used to be carried by Treefrog has a nice 54mm set
http://www.thewarriorirish.com/pages/volunteers.html#

The Irish Volunteers, Ireland, July 1914
Pricing:
$85 USD SRP per set
Features:
- white metal
- hand painted
- historically accurate
Delivery: In Stock

Formed to counter the growing trend to division by groups such as the Ulster Volunteers and to promote a free and independent Ireland the Irish volunteers were the forerunners of the IRA. Fostered by a growing sense of nationalism the Irish Volunteers included a woman's arm and a youth movement and became increasingly prominent in the struggle that was Irish politics of the time.

Exploiting a legal loophole para-military groups in Ireland were able to arm themselves. Irish nationalists groups feared the arming of the Ulster Volunteers in April 1914, seeing it to be a move that would not only undermine efforts to free Ireland from direct British control but also one that could actively repress independence movements.

In answer to this the Irish volunteers used the same loophole and in July 1914 the nationalist Erskine Childers landed 900 rifles from Germany at Howth, seven miles from Dublin and was greeted by 800 volunteers who had turned out to receive their weapons.. This force was the nucleus of the movement that launched the uprising in 1916, when "a terrible beauty was born".

The set shows a pair of volunteers in a mixture of civilian and military dress and a member of the women's arm in her distinctive military style uniform.

Attachments

• Volunteers_Large.jpg
    Volunteers_Large.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,190
Warrior Irish also carries this figure --far left

Constance Markievicz, Dublin, Easter 1916.

http://www.thewarriorirish.com/pages/heroes.html#

http://www.nancymonaghan.com/countess.html

This figure is inspired from the famous photograph of Constance in her Irish volunteers' uniform in which she fought for a week, leading a section of the Irish volunteers against the British army in the Easter uprising in Dublin 1916 Born Constance Gore -Booth, a privileged daughter of the Anglo-Irish ascendancy she died a hero of the Irish independence movement in 1927.

Attachments

• Heroes_Large.jpg
    Heroes_Large.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 814
  • countess.gif
    countess.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 470
Thanks, Randy. I appreciate the research. I was aware of the Constance Markievicz figure, but not the set.

Thanks Paulo for your suggestion on Tommy Atkins/Fusilier.

Craig Pearse, of Wilson Edwards Toy Soldiers sent me some images yesterday of a couple of 54mm Black & Tans that he will be releasing in the near future.

One is carrying a Lewis Gun over is shoulder, while the other is reaxing, leg up on a box ? and has a rifle. Maybe Craig will post you some images into this theme?

John

Don't know if the vacuum is political or if there's just not enough interest.

Jenkins and K&C - are you listening???? :D

The main reason the subject is avoided is not the Easter Rebellion as such, but the terrorist campaign conducted by the IRA ever since. I was working in London during the bombing campaign and was actually caught up in one of the explosions. There were bombs 100 yards east of where I worked, 300 yards west, half a mile north and 600 yards south. The Horse Guards were attacked on their way to change the guard and their horses were left screaming in agony. Tourists, including Americans, were targeted at the Tower of London. No wonder the subject is avoided, would our American friends approve of a series of figures depicting the 7/11 bombers? I understand the difference between the Uprising and the IRA but most people don't and as such it is not a popular subject.

The main reason the subject is avoided is not the Easter Rebellion as such, but the terrorist campaign conducted by the IRA ever since. I was working in London during the bombing campaign and was actually caught up in one of the explosions. There were bombs 100 yards east of where I worked, 300 yards west, half a mile north and 600 yards south. The Horse Guards were attacked on their way to change the guard and their horses were left screaming in agony. Tourists, including Americans, were targeted at the Tower of London. No wonder the subject is avoided, would our American friends approve of a series of figures depicting the 7/11 bombers? I understand the difference between the Uprising and the IRA but most people don't and as such it is not a popular subject.

Thanks for this perspective. I can see why this subject might be considered in bad taste.

I was caught in a bomb scare at a train station years ago, but nothing came of it.

Four men and seven horses killed, one of the dead horses was called "Irishman"! It was not a good day.

Martin

Four men and seven horses killed, one of the dead horses was called "Irishman"! It was not a good day.

Martin

But they changed the guard as usual the next day, carrying the tattered and bloodstained standard. All credit to them. And who can forget the images of "Sefton" the terribly inured troophorse who had been riddled with six inch nails. Fortunately he recovered and returned to duty although scarred and lived to enjoy a well earned retirement

Yes they did trot back on guard next day. One strange thing though the entire word "knightsbridge" was removed whole by a nail! L/Cpl Jeff Young was killed that day but it was another L/Cpl Young that was supposed to do the guard but went sick! He never realy got over that.

Martin

Right now on E-bay, item number 270691006204 from Tommy Atkins.
Hope this helps. Tommy Atkins' are great figures.

Paulo

While I can certainly understand the sensitivities involved in this area (as I can in a lot of areas involving military history), it is surprising to see this specific area have so much trouble. Especially considering the fact that I don't see the same problems in terms of Nazi Miniatures, etc. I would think there would be more problems with the Nazis than anything else.

Oh well, interesting stuff...and its good to know that some of these figures are available.

Just back from a trip to Dublin and always on the lookout for toy soldiers, I picked up 3 from that era at the National Museum of Ireland- Collins Barracks:

http://shop.museum.ie/p-119-general-michael-collins.aspx

I have the Collins figure, and models of Padraig Pearse and Eamon de Valera that aren't pictured- all in their Irish Volunteers uniforms (apologies- I'm without a working camera at the moment). They are more of a toy soldier type figure than the detailed model figures.

Another lead if nothing else.

Best,
Allen

Wow...a Michael Collins figure! I knew there had to be one out there (somewhere). Very nice find! Thanks for mentioning it and providing a link.

I am going to have to order that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back