Help Finding - Irish Troops - 1916 (1 Viewer)

Okay...I have been gone from the forum for a while (Law School semester finals got in the way..haha), but I am back now.

1) Does anyone know of a place where I could possibly find some "civilian" figures in Early 1900 to 1920's style dress? See the photo below for what I am talking about. I am looking for plastic (or metal) figures (1/32 or 54mm in size).

attachment.php

I am thinking I can try to "modify" some figures in order to create an army of Irish Volunteers; since no one seems to make them.

2) Another idea would be to find figures in military dress from maybe WWI!? (Or any dress that would be comparable to this figure of Michael Collins).

http://shop.museum.ie/p-119-general-michael-collins.aspx

Please let me know of any thoughts or ideas you may have. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the links. I did a quick search on each site and didnt really find anything I can use, but I will do a more in-depth search later and will hopefully come up with something.

Obee, thanks for the link to the IRA figure that you posted. It took me a while to find him on the site, but once I did, it was worth it.

Again, thanks to all..and if you think of anything else that might be helpful, please post it here!

Hiriart has two Irish sets in its catalog:

1319 Irish Free State Infantry with Gen. Michael Collins, 1923

1320 Irish Volunteer Infantry, 1913-1923

When I first saw the 1320 set I wondered about the formal uniforms, but I subsequently saw an Osprey book on the 1916 uprising which had a drawing showing Irish troops in those uniforms.

Attachments

• 1319 Irish Free State Inf with Michael Collins.JPG
    1319 Irish Free State Inf with Michael Collins.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 1320 Irish Free State Volunteers.JPG
    1320 Irish Free State Volunteers.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 868
ucla1967,

Thanks for the info. Those are great looking sets. I just sent you an email!!

Well, its been about a year but I am back and am continuing this thread/discussion.

I think I have found a pretty good solution to creating/converting my IRA / Irish Volunteer Army.

I found that Airfix makes a "1:72 Scale WWI British Infantry Figures Classic Kit Series 1." I believe these figures would make great Irish Volunteers from around the same time period (1916 - 1922). They will need some conversions made, but nothing too crazy/major.

Here is a photo of the box for the Airfix soldiers I am referring too:

attachment.php

Here is a photo (that I found online) of these same Airfix soldiers painted:

attachment.php

So, whats the catch?

The catch is that I am looking for these exact same soldiers in 1:32 scale (as 1:72 is too small for my liking). I have been looking, but it doesn't appear that Airfix makes these same figures in 1:32.

What I am hoping is that someone on this forum will tell me that either:
  • Yes, Airfix does in fact make a 1:32 and I must have just overlooked them!
Or
  • That another company makes a very similar figure in 1:32 scale (as I am not married to Airfix by any means).

If anyone knows of where I can find very similar figures to these, please don't hesitate to let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

If you look below at the post by ucla1967 (Post #26) you will see one version of what the Irish Free State army looked like (more or less) in 1922-1923. This is close to what I am trying to recreate.

I am re-posting ucla1967's photos here for ease of access:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of you are probably wondering why I titled the thread as "Irish Troops 1916" but just posted about Irish Troops circa 1922. Well, after I realized that I did this, I figured I should post a follow-up.

I am ALSO still working on finding the right figures (1:32 scale) that I can convert into IRA figures from around 1916. In short, I want to put together a collection of Irish figures that look as if they took part in the Rising of 1916.

For the most part, I am guessing that figures of men in suits, hats, and trench coats (from around 1916) will work fairly well (as I will just need to add guns, etc. to the figures).

As you can see from the pictures below, this is the look that I am trying to create. The first photo is an actual IRA figure from 1916 that someone created. However, this is the only one I can find. The other photos are from the time around (and just before) the rising.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I post these in order to get a feel for what a man in Dublin, dressed in a suit, would have looked like in 1916.

If I could just find the right "civilian" figures, I could probably convert them into IRA members.

However, unless I am just mistaken, not all the men who participated in the Rising were dressed merely in suits. Some of them did have military style uniforms. It is my impression that these military style uniforms would have been very similar to my last post (ie British WWI era uniforms).

So, if I can find some of those as well, I can mix them.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help, comments, etc. are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back