Help ID this Mignot Box Set (1 Viewer)

captainsimos

Private 2
This is from an estate I have been working on. Written on the box in pen I think it says in French "Queens Guard" and the number 361. When I search for 361 it shows me a different set. I would appreciate if someone could let me know the correct number for this set and what the figures represent. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Simos
queen1.jpg
queen2.jpg

Hi, Simos! Yeah, I suspect that that someone mismatched the box and soldiers. Those are "English Grenadiers 1900", which were set 210 in 1952. I based this on the info in Richard O'Brien's "Collecting Toy Soldiers" 4th edition, "Collecting Foreign-Made Toy Soldiers". There's a photo of the officer and grenadier on page 310. The box is for the Gardes de la Reine.

The article, written by K. Warren Mitchell, notes that until about 1950, CBG's label didn't indicate the set's catalog number, but rather, a size code, and the number of pieces in the box. He gives an example of "214/12 Imperial Guard", where 214 is CBG's size, corresponding to 55mm, and 12 is the number of figures in that box. If that's consistent, then 361 indicates CBG's size for the 3 figures that were issued in that box. Unfortunately, Warren didn't include a table that listed CBG's codes and their corresponding sizes.

Regardless, the figures you have are definitely English grenadiers. That's evident to us, even without finding CBG's catalog reference for them.

When the book was published back in 1997, O'Brien listed $14 apiece, for figures in very good condition. I wouldn't venture a guess whether we could estimate higher, 24 years later, but looking at some auctions on eBay and at Ray Haradin's Old Toy Soldier auctions would give a better idea of what similar figures are going for today.

Hope that helps!

Prosit!
Brad

Hi, Simos! Yeah, I suspect that that someone mismatched the box and soldiers. Those are "English Grenadiers 1900", which were set 210 in 1952. I based this on the info in Richard O'Brien's "Collecting Toy Soldiers" 4th edition, "Collecting Foreign-Made Toy Soldiers". There's a photo of the officer and grenadier on page 310. The box is for the Gardes de la Reine.

The article, written by K. Warren Mitchell, notes that until about 1950, CBG's label didn't indicate the set's catalog number, but rather, a size code, and the number of pieces in the box. He gives an example of "214/12 Imperial Guard", where 214 is CBG's size, corresponding to 55mm, and 12 is the number of figures in that box. If that's consistent, then 361 indicates CBG's size for the 3 figures that were issued in that box. Unfortunately, Warren didn't include a table that listed CBG's codes and their corresponding sizes.

Regardless, the figures you have are definitely English grenadiers. That's evident to us, even without finding CBG's catalog reference for them.

When the book was published back in 1997, O'Brien listed $14 apiece, for figures in very good condition. I wouldn't venture a guess whether we could estimate higher, 24 years later, but looking at some auctions on eBay and at Ray Haradin's Old Toy Soldier auctions would give a better idea of what similar figures are going for today.

Hope that helps!

Prosit!
Brad

Thank you very much, that is what I was looking for. I was pretty sure they were Grenadiers, but with what was written on the box and the conflicting numbers I wanted to be sure before I list them on ebay. Everyone has been a great resource and I really appreciate it.
Stay Safe and Well,
Simos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back