Help Identifying Indian Chief (1 Viewer)

JD1990

Private
I recently purchased this Indian Chief from a local flea market. It is hollowcast, and 54mm scale, other than that I know nothing. Any additional information that anyone can give me would be helpful.
Thanks!
Jacob
20160522_2215421.gif

Paging johnnybach, johnnybach, please pick up the white courtesy phone! :D

I recently purchased this Indian Chief from a local flea market. It is hollowcast, and 54mm scale, other than that I know nothing. Any additional information that anyone can give me would be helpful.
Thanks!
Jacob
View attachment 191641

Hi Jacob - he was made by Cherilea (UK producer) - which was formed in 1946. Metal production was phased out by 1961 - plastics being phased in from 1955. So your find was produced between 1946-1961 - so likely made mid-fifties. They aren't plentiful - so a good find.

I don't have an example myself - but a pic shows him originally with green pants (see page 82 of "The Great Book of Hollowcast Figures" by Norman Joplin, 1993 - paperback edition 1999 - published by Cavendish Books).

I usually prefer to make up a mix of Humbrol Gloss enamels - to make a buckskin colour - using Sand/Cream/ and Desert Sand, for pants.

Hope that helps - jb

Hi Jacob - he was made by Cherilea (UK producer) - which was formed in 1946. Metal production was phased out by 1961 - plastics being phased in from 1955. So your find was produced between 1946-1961 - so likely made mid-fifties. They aren't plentiful - so a good find.

I don't have an example myself - but a pic shows him originally with green pants (see page 82 of "The Great Book of Hollowcast Figures" by Norman Joplin, 1993 - paperback edition 1999 - published by Cavendish Books).

I usually prefer to make up a mix of Humbrol Gloss enamels - to make a buckskin colour - using Sand/Cream/ and Desert Sand, for pants.

Hope that helps - jb

Well I decided to take your advice regarding the "buckskin." I personally prefer Testors to Humbrol, but gloss is definitely my medium. Cowboys and Indians is a little bit outside of my usual collecting sphere, but he turned out to be really fun to paint.
IMG_0161.JPG

Well I decided to take your advice regarding the "buckskin." I personally prefer Testors to Humbrol, but gloss is definitely my medium. Cowboys and Indians is a little bit outside of my usual collecting sphere, but he turned out to be really fun to paint.
View attachment 191777

Great looking little piece! Well done. I'm wondering if he would fit into a canoe - as his kneeling pose looks to be about right for one? There are quite a few of the old makers out there who made examples. Here'a a pic of some of my Crescent collection - which shows my canoes - which looks as if your figure could fit inside - as the kneeling pose of the paddlers is very similar.

I like the buckskin look - which I think looks far more natural for a Native American figure too. Paint is just what's easiest to get hold of - and Humbrol is easiest for me. As for fun - you may find that there's a bit more freedom allowed with these figures - as almost "anything goes" with many additional colours too, because their dress was not as regimented as uniformed soldiers. Same thing also applies to cowboys - so that a very colourful collection of old hollowcasts can quickly evolve - especially if you're handy with the odd repair and/or conversion.

So..............well done - looks like you'll be joining in the fun with these too. That figure is a very good start. :D jb:D

Nicely done, JD! Good to see that our painters' ranks are growing, too.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back