Help With These Cheery ACW Union Soldiers (1 Viewer)

macchim-5

Private 2
Here are some cheery union soldiers. Marked L.E.M. on base. Any ideas? I have five plus an eagle.

IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0171.JPG

I know I have seen that mark before, but I can't remember who that maker is. The only maker I can think of is LeMans, but I don't think that's right. But they depict the 8th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, though, with their bald eagle mascot, Old Abe.

I'm looking through my references to see if I can find "LEM". So far, nothing in O'Brien or in Garratt.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks for taking a look. I had hoped for LeMans but they don't match the figures on the website.

Mike

I believe I may be able to identify the manufacturer, please can you tell me what size the figure are??
Norman

Good question about their size. Are they 54mm? I see the ruler laid horizontally across the bottom of the photo, but I'm having trouble judging their height against it. The look to be no larger than 54mm; they look like they're a little shorter.

Norman-no idea off the top of your head about a brand or mark of "LEM"? For me, it sounds familiar, and I'm fairly certain I've seen it before. But I can't quite place it.

Time for a little searching...

Prost!
Brad

I still haven't found anything referring to a mark of "L.E.M.", and no makers with any combination of names that fit the acronym, in any stretch. I've been looking in my reference books, going back to the early 90s, like Bruun, Andrew Rose's "The Collector's All-Colour Guide to Collecting Toy Soldiers", and Norman's own "Toy Soldiers". Nothing in O'Brien, either. Web searches have also failed to return anything that can ID these. (A lot of disambiguation needed for the character of "Lem" in the movie, "Toy Soldiers", though.)

You'd think that with such a clear mark, someone would recognize it.

Also, in terms of the style of their sculpting and painting, they do remind me of Edmunds, as was mentioned before, but they also remind me somewhat of Blenheim or Marlborough. Not saying that they were produced by any of those three makers, just that they look similar.

Still looking...

Giving this thread a bump. No one has found anything, since we last visited this puzzle?

Prost!
Brad

Thanks for taking a look. I had hoped for LeMans but they don't match the figures on the website.

Mike

Can you tell me which website. I know the owner of LeMans and he doesn’t have a website.

I checked with Mike DeMarco, the owner of LeMans and he says not his.

Yeah, and even without Mike's confirmation, I think we could tell from the style of sculpting and painting that these aren't Lemans. I apologize for introducing that into the discussion; that was just a speculation based solely on the initials under the base.

Still looking...

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back