Hougoumont farm-mainly scratch built (1 Viewer)

I,d like to see the pictures, private message me and I,ll walk you through posting the pictures or if you E-mail them to me I,ll post them for you.

I,ve always thought of doing a hougoumont set up out of pink foam but I haven,t found a way to get a good looking brick pattern in the foam. I also thought about doing it out of plaster and carving in the brick but thats A LOT of work. what did you make yours out of and what did you use for reference materail?

I have a bunch of photos of the site and always like to see more.

Always glad to see another napoleonic collector!!! WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE!!!!

I,d like to see the pictures, private message me and I,ll walk you through posting the pictures or if you E-mail them to me I,ll post them for you.

I,ve always thought of doing a hougoumont set up out of pink foam but I haven,t found a way to get a good looking brick pattern in the foam. I also thought about doing it out of plaster and carving in the brick but thats A LOT of work. what did you make yours out of and what did you use for reference materail?

I have a bunch of photos of the site and always like to see more.

Always glad to see another napoleonic collector!!! WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE!!!!
:) Thanks Ive sent you a reply.

Here are the images of the farm:

bloooer1.jpg

bloooer2.jpg

bloooer3.jpg

Looks good!!! Now you have to build the rest of it!Heres a photo for reference.:p

I,d love to see a full diorama in 1/32scale of the site but I don,t know of any one has who has had the guts to try.:p

Last edited:
I bought some of the new brick and it looks good. You might want the old brick but I didn't get that one. Here is a pic of the new brick to see the scale.

That stuff dosn,t look bad I thought that it might be over sized but it looks good. Did you paint any up? How does it paint up,whats it made of and how does it glue on things, does it stick well?

That stuff dosn,t look bad I thought that it might be over sized but it looks good. Did you paint any up? How does it paint up,whats it made of and how does it glue on things, does it stick well?

I have used this stuff for my train layout and it is a type of flex plastic that you can use contact cement to secure it. Also, you might want to check out the miniatures sites for those houses that people decorate with real wall paper and such. I have found near brick sheets in that scale. Again, do some searches, as different mfg. for that hobby, might get you near the size brick you could live with....Michael

I haven't painted any yet but its styrene plastic so it should paint like plastic models.

Thank You For The Welcome And The Interest. Im Pleased I Found This Forum It Has Loads Of Stuff And Friendly Advice.
Ive Been Collecting And Painting Soldiers For Two Years, So Im Relatively New To It. I Concentrate On The Napoleonic Period Which Is Fascinating And Colourful.
The Diorama Is 3'x3' And Is As Big As I Will Go On This Project. I Used Card, Filler And Paint For The Buildings Garden Wall And I Painted The BackGround Scenery.
Various Stones Twigs And Earth Were Gathered From The Garden To Make The Ground, Fences Etc. Crumpled Glue SoAked Paper Can Make A Good Base For Some Terrain.
I Mixed Earth With Pva Glue Which Dries Clear And Is Good For Shaping Into Ridges, Muddy Fields Etc.
The Trees Have Shop Bought Foliage But Twig-Trunks And The Ground Foliage Is Also Shop Bought.
Most Of The Sodiers Are 54 Mm Metal By Tradition Of London And Painted By Myself. There Are A Few "all The Queens Men "- Seargeant Ewart Capturing The French Standard- And Some By Capt. Revo.
One Cannon Is By Tradition The OTHER THE English One Is Del Prado.
The Diorama Is Starting To Sag In The Middle Because Of The Weight But ITs An Easy Repair.
As To The Printed And MouldeD Brick Debate Ive Always Thought That They Dont Look Realistic Enough For What I Want. The Same Is True For Shop Bought Dioramas. Im Sure That Paint And Roughing Up Could Produce Good Results On Printed Or Moulded Type Bricks.
Im Going To Acquire More Soldiers Before I Attempt My Next Dio.
If Anybody Knows Who Makes A Good 54 Mm Metal Napoleonic Band Id Be Interested To Hear The Info.

Thank You For The Welcome And The Interest. Im Pleased I Found This Forum It Has Loads Of Stuff And Friendly Advice.
Ive Been Collecting And Painting Soldiers For Two Years, So Im Relatively New To It. I Concentrate On The Napoleonic Period Which Is Fascinating And Colourful.
The Diorama Is 3'x3' And Is As Big As I Will Go On This Project. I Used Card, Filler And Paint For The Buildings Garden Wall And I Painted The BackGround Scenery.
Various Stones Twigs And Earth Were Gathered From The Garden To Make The Ground, Fences Etc. Crumpled Glue SoAked Paper Can Make A Good Base For Some Terrain.
I Mixed Earth With Pva Glue Which Dries Clear And Is Good For Shaping Into Ridges, Muddy Fields Etc.
The Trees Have Shop Bought Foliage But Twig-Trunks And The Ground Foliage Is Also Shop Bought.
Most Of The Sodiers Are 54 Mm Metal By Tradition Of London And Painted By Myself. There Are A Few "all The Queens Men "- Seargeant Ewart Capturing The French Standard- And Some By Capt. Revo.
One Cannon Is By Tradition The OTHER THE English One Is Del Prado.
The Diorama Is Starting To Sag In The Middle Because Of The Weight But ITs An Easy Repair.
As To The Printed And MouldeD Brick Debate Ive Always Thought That They Dont Look Realistic Enough For What I Want. The Same Is True For Shop Bought Dioramas. Im Sure That Paint And Roughing Up Could Produce Good Results On Printed Or Moulded Type Bricks.
Im Going To Acquire More Soldiers Before I Attempt My Next Dio.
If Anybody Knows Who Makes A Good 54 Mm Metal Napoleonic Band Id Be Interested To Hear The Info.

Frontline makes a good napoleonic band. http://www.frontline-figures.com/napf/indexband.html
Plastics are a good way to get a start on building up a napoleonic army and a lot cheaper then metal if your going to be painting your own. They can also be converted to make various poses. I started a thread on converting plastic figures and there is also a thread on here some where with a list of the various plastic napoleonics that are available.
I agree that doing your own dioramas are munch more rewarding and enjoyable then going with the pre-made store bought stuff, keep up the good work and share any future projects with us. Heres a link to the plastics napoleonics thread and one to the plastic conversions thread also.
http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1964&highlight=plastic+napoleonics
http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749&highlight=conversions

Last edited:
Welcome to forum Blooer. The diorama looks neat. Thanks for posting pics. Also . Morb and Fish pics are great. I enjoy seeing the projects you guys are working on. Leadmen

Thanks Very Much. Its Good To Be Welcomed And To "meet" Other Toy Soldier Collectors, Builders And Painters.
The Wealth Of Experience And Wide Collecting Fields Is Oustanding.
Bloooer:d

Here are the rest of Bloooers photos..:)

Jeff

Attachments

• H01.jpg
    H01.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 103
  • H02.jpg
    H02.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 95
  • H03.jpg
    H03.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 94
  • H04.jpg