How many active vintage W. Britains Ltd. collectors? (1 Viewer)

...I like the Toyness in Glossy Toy Soldiers...

Me, too, John, that's why I like the gloss style. Though, I do like as much detail as possible, so that's why I use castings by Stadden, Rose, Tradition, etc.

The toy-like look is also why I like King-White/Reeves so well. They have decent-enough detail, but they're clearly toys.

And you're right, the real world is real enough, so in this particular part of my world, I like the look of a toy. For realism, I have my scale models.

Prost!
Brad

Any more news on this book?

The only toy figures I collect are hollowcast Britains soldiers and farm series. I also recast them (for my display shelves only). And I make my own figures, trying without yet succeeding to duplicate the elegant simplicity of those little works of art.

Great news from Joe Wallis: " I will have a new book on the period from 1893-1924 published in October (hardcover and with 780 color photos)."

The news was in an email I got from Mr Wallis in August: "I will have a new book on the period from 1893-1924 published in October (hardcover and with 780 color photos)." I guess a note to the man himself would be the best way to get information.

Given the small number of views/replies to a recent announcement of a new James Opie book on vintage Wm. Britains Ltd (1893-1966) toy soldiers, am personally curious to know how many collectors still even have as part of their collections, any older Britains?

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Quite a few people still collect old Britains hollowcast figures over here in the UK but they are becoming more picky; the early "Ancient Britains" made up until about 1910, Paris Office and boxed Regiments of All Nations always find good demand. The more common guardsmen, Household cavalry and Hussars are selling quite cheap but are being picked up by a growing band of wargamers who have been attracted by all the hooha surrounding the centenary of H G Wells Little Wars in 2013, these are people who grew up in the 60's/70's with 54mm plastic figures and are now moving away from the smaller wargame scales as their eyesight declines.

I've known James for over 40 years and thought he had already written everything there was to say about Britains.

Received my copy of "Soldiers of Greater Britain" from Joe Wallis today, and I must say it's a magnificent book. 450+ gloss pages, 780+ photos, examples of every version of every Britains set from 1893-1924. There's a section on the company's pre-toy soldier mechanical toys, reprints of factory tour stories, and chapters on the Paris Office sets, the B series smaller scale figures, the early farm sets, Whisstock labels... (If you use the book title as a Google Image search, you'll find pictures of the contents page and some interior pages.) Joe deserves a huge thank you from the toy soldier community for this incredibly detailed study of the early days of the hobby and the little figures that make it so fascinating.

Last edited:
Received my copy of "Soldiers of Greater Britain" from Joe Wallis today, and I must say it's a magnificent book. 450+ gloss pages, 780+ photos, examples of every version of every Britains set from 1893-1924. There's a section on the company's pre-toy soldier mechanical toys, reprints of factory tour stories, and chapters on the Paris Office sets, the B series smaller scale figures, the early farm sets, Whisstock labels... (If you use the book title as a Google Image search, you'll find pictures of the contents page and some interior pages.) Joe deserves a huge thank you from the toy soldier community for this incredibly detailed study of the early days of the hobby and the little figures that make it so fascinating.

Is there anything in this book that is not in James Opies "Great Book Of Britains"?

jrsteel : I don't have the Great Book of Britains... yet. I admire Opie's work and have several of his other books. (I admired his parents' work in the folklore field before I discovered him.) Wallis recommends the book in his bibliography, and comments that it is a year-by-year survey. Wallis goes set by set, giving all the set's versions and changes in each. As far as raw information goes, I'm not sure. The Great Book is about 25 years old now, and new gen may have emerged in the interim.

DMNamiot : The photos are all in colour, except for some repros of period catalogues and trade publications. This volume's production values are on a par with Wallis' second, hardcover edition of ROAN. I'd only be happier if each figure got a full-page blow-up photo. And maybe in 3D...

Considering this volume costs less than two modern Britains foot figures, I'd say it's a great bargain. And it's printed in the USA.

(UPDATE): I'm now officially in my IIIrd Phase of owning Britains. (First Phase = as a kid in the 1950's - early 1960's. Second Phase = late 1980's-mid 1990's when I thought I was a collector.) In the last two years I discovered an Ebay seller here in the US who put on auction the collection of a deceased friend of his at some very attractive prices - provided you won the lot. Filled a gap or two this way. Lately I've been in contact with James Opie, signed up to bid at his upcoming (March 27) auction and re-painted four of my Britains Ltd. Gurkhas from the set I got in the mid-1950's. With the help of Ron Ruddell of London Bridge I matched the uniform color (Humbrol Brunswick Green) quite well.

So I guess I've never really quit. ^&grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back