How solid are toy soldiers? (1 Viewer)

NielsVV

Private
Hello collectors,

All my soldiers are stored in glas cabinets away from direct sunlight and as much as possible dust free. If I had to move something, I will always were gloves, so the paint doesn't get damaged.
Am I going crazy doing this? or are they more durable then I suppose?
Have someone here allready experienced that the paint came loose on their figures? (maybe after a couple of years?) I remember on an early release of a figarti tank the paint was coming off, for me it was a nightmare!

Thanks,

Niels

Hello collectors,

All my soldiers are stored in glas cabinets away from direct sunlight and as much as possible dust free. If I had to move something, I will always were gloves, so the paint doesn't get damaged.
Am I going crazy doing this? or are they more durable then I suppose?
Have someone here allready experienced that the paint came loose on their figures? (maybe after a couple of years?) I remember on an early release of a figarti tank the paint was coming off, for me it was a nightmare!

Thanks,

Niels

Hi,
You can definitely find some pretty in-depth threads about this, but here is a short version:
Yes, the gloves are not necessary, even for higher end figures. As you mentioned, sunlight and moisture are the main problems, so as long as that is taken care of, things are normally good. Paintloss on older figures is often due to lead content, but on newer figures, it is simply a manufacturing mistake, or a factory being cheap. Minor paintloss can be easily repaired, while major paintloss can even be reported to a maker, who may exchange the product or give you a future discount. If you are not comfortable with doing repairs yourself, many people do them for pretty cheap.
Hope that helps,
Sandor

Neils...

They are very durable but, I suppose, the more you handle they more chance damage will occur. I would say though apart from the ongoing problem with Figarti I have not had any issues with any manufacturers stuff. I use gloves to dust the more expensive figures I have and, the LAH as the matt and gloss black don't like moisture from hand contact.

Anything else is just moved without gloves and dusted with a very soft paint brush. As with any collectable etc keep out of direct sunlight as its eventually, going to fade whatever it comes into contact with. Apart from that I think your safe to enjoy
Mitch

I have had no issue with any of my figures and I am constantly arranging them and setting up dioramas.

So far so good. I had only to repaint some figurines I bought in Russia in 2002. I think it goes with the quality of paint used. I don't foresee any aging issues with products from the most prominent manufacturers (K&C, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back