ID on a glossy K&C needed (2 Viewers)

Hi, I'm having difficulty with my camera and my scanner (which is acting up after a few auctions I listed yesterday) so I'm going to have difficulty posting images.

Basically I have a K&C glossy Zulu, although it isn't marked K&C on the base.

The seller was adamant that he got it via K&C UK but the Bill Sager catalogues would suggest a date of Spring 1994, i.e. prior to K&C UK getting up and running:

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-l...res&subcategory=1994&subsubcategory=SPRING 94

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything further about this, i.e. was this figure re-released on several occasions over the years.

Attachments

• 3e0a_1.jpg
    3e0a_1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 382
To my knowledge, Zulus were made only a couple of times after 1994. The June 1995 brochure, announced, along with the Farmhouse, nine more different Zulu warriors so it's possible that this one came from that issue. Zulus are also featured in the February 1996 Supplement but not in this particular sculpt.

If you or the person who owns it would like to sell, please let me know.

Your Zulu is "Zulu A" from the last K&C Zulu release (there were two earlier releases). These Zulus were released in 1994-1995, but it is quite possible they were sold through K&C, UK, as these figures were still available to dealers many years after production stopped (K&C just didn't sell all that well pre-1999). Here's a little quote from the book about this particular Zulu release:

"The new Zulus were released in 9 poses (Zulu A through Zulu I) with two poses added in 1996 (Zulu J and Zulu K). In Andy’s own words “[t]he sculpting and painting of these figures is, quite simply, the finest on the market and King & Country’s best.” False modesty aside, these figures were extraordinarily well painted for glossy figures, although the sculpting was nothing to write home about. The Zulus were painted either as dark skinned Africans (dark brown skin) or lighter skinned Africans (reddish brown skin). According to Andy, this resulted merely from experimentation with the paints.

The figures included four standing Zulu officers, two holding up shields in their right hands and spears in their left hands at hip level [Zulu F and G], two holding up rifles in their right hands and knobkerries in their left hands at hip level [Zulu H and I] (all with merely different arms or weapons on the same sculpting), distinguishable by the skins they wear (one of each figure wearing leopard [F and H], one with shield wearing Lion [G], one with Rifle wearing Zebra ). Another single casting of a Zulu advancing with a shield on his left arm is made into three figures by right arms carrying a spear [C], a rifle [D] or a knobkerrie [E]. One stands clumsily firing a rifle [A] while another stands wearing a torn 24th or 8th foot red coat, holding a captured rifle at waist level . The first of the two later figures kneels next to a rifle box grabbing a rifle with his right hand, holding a spear in his left hand by his left side [J] while the other lies prone loading a captured Martini-Henry rifle [K]."

Your Zulu is "Zulu A" from the last K&C Zulu release (there were two earlier releases). These Zulus were released in 1994-1995, but it is quite possible they were sold through K&C, UK, as these figures were still available to dealers many years after production stopped (K&C just didn't sell all that well pre-1999). Here's a little quote from the book about this particular Zulu release:

"The new Zulus were released in 9 poses (Zulu A through Zulu I) with two poses added in 1996 (Zulu J and Zulu K). In Andy’s own words “[t]he sculpting and painting of these figures is, quite simply, the finest on the market and King & Country’s best.” False modesty aside, these figures were extraordinarily well painted for glossy figures, although the sculpting was nothing to write home about. The Zulus were painted either as dark skinned Africans (dark brown skin) or lighter skinned Africans (reddish brown skin). According to Andy, this resulted merely from experimentation with the paints.

The figures included four standing Zulu officers, two holding up shields in their right hands and spears in their left hands at hip level [Zulu F and G], two holding up rifles in their right hands and knobkerries in their left hands at hip level [Zulu H and I] (all with merely different arms or weapons on the same sculpting), distinguishable by the skins they wear (one of each figure wearing leopard [F and H], one with shield wearing Lion [G], one with Rifle wearing Zebra ). Another single casting of a Zulu advancing with a shield on his left arm is made into three figures by right arms carrying a spear [C], a rifle [D] or a knobkerrie [E]. One stands clumsily firing a rifle [A] while another stands wearing a torn 24th or 8th foot red coat, holding a captured rifle at waist level . The first of the two later figures kneels next to a rifle box grabbing a rifle with his right hand, holding a spear in his left hand by his left side [J] while the other lies prone loading a captured Martini-Henry rifle [K]."

Do you guys have any pics of these guys?

Thanks chaps for all the information: what had thrown me was the small amount of paint loss on the gun barrel, which made it look a little different from Zulu A. Hopefully he has more of these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back