If I could sculpture some ACW figures (2 Viewers)

rharry

Private 1st Class
Hey up I am just thinking out loud here.....I was thinking about my days in the South and how the boys down there loved Squirrel and Turkey hunting. Some of those guys could shoot the eye of a nat from 1000yards. :p Well so it seemed...So playing into that theme I would like to sculpture a CSA soldier laying prone with his rife resting on a small long. No hat on and just waiting for Billy Yank to pop up just enough to send him a bit of lead.....almost like a sniper concept.......

Second concept I would like to do would be a camp scene with a Yank brewing coffee early in the morning. This was one of the most often activities that happened during the war........The boys in Blue were lucky often to have real coffee. Then I would add a few more figures around the fire, sitting writing a letter home or shaving..........these would be updated from the early figures done before.

3rd concept I would like to do is another camp scene but 5 rifles stacked and 3 figures rushing toward their rifles since word has come the rebs are on the move.......

If you got any ideas I would like to hear others regarding this.....I bet many have done this kind of brainstorming within themseleves..

Old Northwest Trading Company makes several sets in the Union soldiers at camp theme. Treefrog sells them. As for the rebel sharpshooter, I haven't seen one of those yet. I'm for more of anything in the ACW realm.

I like the idea of soldiers hastily forming in front of stacked arms. It would be great for a Shiloh scene.

8 soldiers in various loading and firing poses for forming a two rank firing line. Make them as "anonymous" as possible so that multiple sets could be added w/o obvious doubles. Maybe the same for troops advancing in a company front or marching in column.

I am going out on a limb here......

How about soldiers from the 79th NY hitting a fence for the first time in their kilts?

I want some routed figures retreating, looking back over their shoulders, like Conte's First at Manassas but in regular uninforms.

I want some routed figures retreating, looking back over their shoulders, like Conte's First at Manassas but in regular uninforms.

I've already seen what you now have Joe - you got enough and don't need any more. Now me on the other hand . . . . ;):rolleyes:
:) Mike

More climbing Rebs for Pickett's Charge. And I still want the 2 69th PA flagbearers - badly!

Now that Mike (I hope you are not in trouble for that preemptive data point) has revealed a dismounted 1st Va. cavalryman to be released in the Collectors Club category for 2011...I'm floating on air knowing that WB will probably roll out for 2011 a fine line of additional dismounted Confederate cavalry to augment that release as well as an adversary for the great 2010 dismounted Union Cavalry releases. 2011 is the 150th anniversary of the commencement of the ACW therefore a famed unit like the 1st Va. Cavalry is an appropriate and timely release for 2011 (they helped define the day in 1861 at First Manassas/Bull Run)...a logical continuation of that great line of ten mounted 1st Va. Cavalry from past years. It would make sense for 2012 therefore to see a rollout of more Union Cavalry say circa 1862. WB is the best in this space with their previously released lines of two phases of mounted Union troopers and now two phases of dismounted cavalry.The figures continue to improve from a quality and depiction standpoint every time a phase gets released. Ken's sculpture, Richard's remarkable marketing and his team of terrific painters astound me. I still think a specified line of Union cavalry would be a great addition to the series. Richard's incredible catalogs...now set to be released quarterly going forward to coincide with more target specific release schedules based on production logistics is genius. Combine the thoughtful packaging, collectors club line, additional pieces of media like display cards and descriptive explanations in a historically accurate and relevent context places WB light years ahead of the competition. The competition, however, drives innovation and thus makes the First Gear/WB line that much more enriching and I hope I post that opinion for not just ACW affianados but WW1, Rev. War, Zulu and of course WW2 collectors as well as any other period collectors. So consider for 2012 a line of Rush's Lancer's, the famed 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, that fought throughout 1862 with their obsolete lances until they traded them in for Sharps carbines in March 1863 just prior to the momentum turning cavalry action that month at Kelly's Ford, Virginia where Jeb Stuart's prized artillerist, John Pelham was mortally wounded. By 1862 it might be a reach to consider orange piped 1st or 2nd US Dragoons or for that matter green piped US Mounted Rifles now reorganized as the 3rd US Cavalry. OK I'm rambling but my point is to get even more realism injected into the line. Rush's Lancers, the 6th Pa., was not a flash in the pan unit. They distinguished themselves immensely throughout the ACW including the execution of a splendid charge at St James Church during the epic all cavalry Battle of Brandy Station in June 1863 just a month before the Battle of Gettysburg. So that's what I would sculpt...although I would rather enlist Ken Osen to perform that task.

Now that Mike (I hope you are not in trouble for that preemptive data point) has revealed a dismounted 1st Va. cavalryman to be released in the Collectors Club category for 2011

Not in trouble here - Richard Walker had the printed announcements in the Wm Britain room plus a painted master of the 1st Va figure on display . . . .
:) Mike

Mike: Having seen your quality work as a photographer of primarily WB miniatures, I must assume that no photos can be released of the master otherwise I suspect we would have seen one by know.

Mike: Having seen your quality work as a photographer of primarily WB miniatures, I must assume that no photos can be released of the master otherwise I suspect we would have seen one by know.

I did take a picture of it - Unfortuneately, what I took was so blurred it was not useable for posting. The same thing happened to the photos I took of the glossies, red coats, bluecoats, and special forces.
:eek::( Mike

I did take a picture of it - Unfortuneately, what I took was so blurred it was not useable for posting. The same thing happened to the photos I took of the glossies, red coats, bluecoats, and special forces.
:eek::( Mike

what:eek: too much wine I suspect:rolleyes: straight to the naughty step for you young man;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back