Immelmann Eindecker (1 Viewer)

karaya_one

Private
I have a question regarding the Immelmann Eindecker. From what I have come across, it seems as though the natural canvas color was more common for these planes. I haven't seen this specific color scheme before and didn't see it mentioned in Bronnenkant's first Blue Max Airmen book. These models seem very well researched so I'm sure there is something out there. Just wondering if anyone else knows. Thanks!

I have a question regarding the Immelmann Eindecker. From what I have come across, it seems as though the natural canvas color was more common for these planes. I haven't seen this specific color scheme before and didn't see it mentioned in Bronnenkant's first Blue Max Airmen book. These models seem very well researched so I'm sure there is something out there. Just wondering if anyone else knows. Thanks!
As you note, most Eindecker aircraft were left in their natural fabric colors, but not all of them. There are photos of Eindeckers with a darker finish, best guess a darkish brown or green. As to the Eindecker in question, Immelmann's 246/16, the only photos I have seen are post crash. One photo in the Bronnenkant book (pg. 78) shows the rear section of one side of the fuselage, which appears to be a light (natural fabric?) color. There are a couple of other photos (not in Bronnenkant) of this same wreckage shown from different angles that would seem to indicate that the same section of fuselage was of a dark finish. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to judge tonal values in WW1 era photos because of many factors including film type, lighting conditions, weather conditions, and so on. The color illustration of 246/16 in Bronnenkant shows as a natural fabric, but that is open to the same speculation as is the green finish on the JJD model. John may have used green just to be different but this choice would be no less accurate than if he had chosen the more common natural color. Bottom line is, short of an actual description of 246/16 turning up somewhere, or a pre-crash photo being discovered, there is just no way to know what is strictly accurate to the aircraft in question. Sorry my answer isn't more final but very little is when dealing with color/tones of WW1 aircraft. -- Al

Love that pilot in the pickelhaube. Simply looks right for the aircraft. ^&grin -- Al

Thank you for the replies. I think the plane looks great and I also think this color is more interesting than the standard clear doped linen color. John's airplanes seem very well researched and the ones I have are probably the favorite pieces in my collection. Wanted to be sure that this aircraft was at least possible before jumping in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back